Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1726729 - 08/02/12 07:18 PM Another MIL question
RiskyBusiness Offline
Tennessee
Customer X wrote a check to NON-Customer Z for $12,000 for work Z performed at X's home. Z brings the check to the bank, asks for $9000 in cash, and wants a cashier's check for the remaining $3000.

Would you consider this as a cash sale to be recorded on your Monetary Instrument Sales Log?

By the way - before anyone asks:
Yes, we recognized Z was structuring - took his cashier's check to another branch within 2 days and cashed it! SAR filed.
Yes, we have a policy that we don't sell cashier's checks to non-customers. What was the teller thinking to begin with??

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1726735 - 08/02/12 07:21 PM Re: Another MIL question RiskyBusiness
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
So, you don't like to be beaten about the head and shoulders just for asking a question, huh? Do you think others feel the same way? wink

No, the monetary instrument was purchased with a check, not cash.

Return to Top
#1726846 - 08/02/12 09:06 PM Re: Another MIL question RiskyBusiness
CantBeShocked Offline
Gold Star
MS
Exactly what my answer was going to be.

Love the comments about being beaten about the head - there ARE a few posters to this forum who have no tact in their responses to questions asked here - and it's not nice and it's no fun to be the recipient of one of those answers.

And - NO, not referring to you in any way - you are always very pleasant, professional and very informative Ken!!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z