Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1730121 - 08/13/12 03:28 PM SAR Summary to Report to Board of Directors
Juby Offline
100 Club
We have always provided a copy of each SAR to our board of directors. We are switching to a summary. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share what they usually provide and what they leave out.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1730132 - 08/13/12 03:42 PM Re: SAR Summary to Report to Board of Directors Juby
AFaquir Offline
Platinum Poster
AFaquir
Top of the world... and never ...
At my former institution we went to a number system. Instead of reporting the whole SAR to the board, we reported SAR #75 (as an example).

As for the information reported in the board minutes we kept it really brief... the activity type (structuring, AML or general sketchy behavior). Total amount of the filings suspicious funds and a summary outline of what the activity was... For example, customer made 2 deposits for $9900 after asking how to avoid reporting.

The board by virtue of their role could access the full SAR if they wanted but we stopped giving them any real identifying information for board folders and board minutes.

Cheers!

MBA Fin/MBS HR

My views only!

Return to Top
#1730133 - 08/13/12 03:42 PM Re: SAR Summary to Report to Board of Directors Juby
KTW327 Offline
100 Club
KTW327
In the trees
In our summary to the Board, we include the facts (suspicious activity, dates, and dollar amounts) surrounding the SAR, the dollar amount of any loss (if we took one), what action we took, and if it is a continuing SAR or not. We try to cut any unnecessary statements and also do not include the name of the "suspect" in the SAR. If we ever had to file on an insider, we wouldn't want it to seem strange that a SAR was being reported with no name, if that was our practice. By omitting the name- you no longer have to worry.

Return to Top
#1730138 - 08/13/12 03:46 PM Re: SAR Summary to Report to Board of Directors Juby
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
I only report the number of SARs files, and the general purpose:

4 filed: 2 Structuring, 1 Money Exchange, 1 Mortgage fraud.

Return to Top
#1730157 - 08/13/12 04:04 PM Re: SAR Summary to Report to Board of Directors #Just Jay
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Originally Posted By: Just Jay
I only report the number of SARs files, and the general purpose:

4 filed: 2 Structuring, 1 Money Exchange, 1 Mortgage fraud.

I like this method too. If the BOD needs more information, they can come ask for it, and it's easy to tie out for audit purposes. In some cases, this being one of them, less is more.

Return to Top
#1730172 - 08/13/12 04:21 PM Re: SAR Summary to Report to Board of Directors Juby
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
I'm pretty much the same, # filed, amount involved, basic information on the how.

Return to Top
#1730180 - 08/13/12 04:33 PM Re: SAR Summary to Report to Board of Directors Juby
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Like AFaquir, I use a number system when reporting to the board. I also include some of the common summary information mentioned previously. It basically looks like this:

SAR # 2012-005
Filed: April 1, 2012
Activity: March 7, 2012 to March 21, 2012
Type: Check fraud, ID theft
Amount: $25,000
Loss: none

Return to Top
#1730221 - 08/13/12 05:28 PM Re: SAR Summary to Report to Board of Directors Juby
amlzed Offline
We only report total number filed by Violation Type and total dollars filed. We report quarterly and provide year to quarter data with the last three years of trending by month.

Return to Top
#1730312 - 08/13/12 06:53 PM Re: SAR Summary to Report to Board of Directors Juby
Juby Offline
100 Club
You have all been tremendously helpful. Thank you!

Return to Top
#1730314 - 08/13/12 06:56 PM Re: SAR Summary to Report to Board of Directors Juby
gacompliancegirl Offline
100 Club
hanging on by a thread
We file electronically, and report the confirmation number we get back from the e-filing system, the type of activity (structuring, fruad, etc) and the dollar amount in a tabular format.

We started using the confirmation number to make it easier for auditors and examiners to match up board minutes to the actual SARs filed, and we've had no questions about our reporting since them.

Return to Top
#1730333 - 08/13/12 07:16 PM Re: SAR Summary to Report to Board of Directors Juby
BFrame Offline
Gold Star
BFrame
USA
Hm, that's a good idea. We use other grids to keep things organized, but your idea seems nice n' simple.
Thanks for sharing.

Return to Top
#1730908 - 08/15/12 10:59 AM Re: SAR Summary to Report to Board of Directors gacompliancegirl
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Quote:
We file electronically, and report the confirmation number we get back from the e-filing system...

Very good idea.

Alternatively, some banks assign a case number to every investigation. Some investigations turn into SARs, but many do not. Those that do are reported to the board using the case number. (Item 62 on the Form 111 allows the bank to insert the case number so examiners and auditors can compare SARs filed to SARs reported to the board.)

Juby,

In general, a good summary is no more than 2 or 3 sentences and would indicate whether the customer relationship continues. In circumstances where the board's fiduciary responsibilities are involved; e.g. insider abuse, embezzlement, etc. they are entitled to the details.

Return to Top
#1730909 - 08/15/12 11:02 AM Re: SAR Summary to Report to Board of Directors Juby
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
We use the case number system and it works for us.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z