Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1732438 - 08/17/12 06:25 PM Amending Exempt Person Form
Compliance Lover Offline
Platinum Poster
I probably know the answer to this, but if you need to change an exempt person from a Phase II to a Phase I, do you do it as an "initial" designation and date it today? Your original form wasn't wrong, their type just changed so I don't think you would choose "exemption amended" would you?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1732988 - 08/20/12 09:35 PM Re: Amending Exempt Person Form Compliance Lover
Bee Cee Offline
I would just revoke their original Phase II status. Reminder, you do not need to to file a Designation of Exempt Person form for Phase I-eligible customers. Just document everything and you should be good to go.

“Chance favors only the mind that is prepared”. Louis Pasteur

Return to Top
#1733026 - 08/21/12 09:32 AM Re: Amending Exempt Person Form Compliance Lover
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
It is necessary to file a DOEP on a Phase I exempt person other than banks and government entities. If the customer was originally a Phase II exempt person, it obviously is not a bank or a government entity.

Amending the exemption should be fine, but as there is no guidance on this you run the risk of being second guessed by a third party reviewer, albeit an auditor or an examiner. I would call the Helpline, memorialize their advice, then follow it.

Return to Top
#1733813 - 08/22/12 06:41 PM Re: Amending Exempt Person Form Elwood P. Dowd
Compliance Lover Offline
Platinum Poster
I did call the helpline the other day and you just do the new one as an initial exemption, not amended.

Return to Top
#1733897 - 08/22/12 08:00 PM Re: Amending Exempt Person Form Compliance Lover
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Thank you for letting us know.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z