Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#173598 - 03/25/04 08:36 PM Emailing customer requests
CSB98 Offline
Diamond Poster
Wisconsin
On occasion customers will call in requesting a copy of an imaged check or other specific information. Our operations officer wanted to know if it was possible to email these types of requests to the customer and what needed to be done in order for this to happen? I'm assuming that we would need to get some type of written signature from the customer indicating that emailing this information is okay with them. Anything else we should be concerned with?

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#173599 - 03/25/04 09:14 PM Re: Emailing customer requests
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

what needed to be done in order for this to happen? I'm assuming that we would need to get some type of written signature from the customer indicating that emailing this information is okay with them. Anything else we should be concerned with?

Yes, I think you should be concerned with a few things:

1) Generally, Internet email is not encrypted and affords absolutely no measure of privacy protection and can be easily intercepted by unintended parties. Unless encrypted, you should not be sending non-public customer information (NPCI) or any sensitive material via Internet email.

2) The FFIEC Guidelines for Safeguarding Customer Information state that any NPCI that is stored or traverses on networks to which unauthorized individuals may have access, must be encrypted.

3) Your Bank should have an ISP (Information Security Program) approved and in place. Your ISP should provide standards about how different classifications of information should be handled.

4) Solutions: Fax the statement copies to the customer, following proper fax procedures. If you are using Internet Banking (encrypted SSL session with customer) you can deliver statements through that connection.

Hope that helps,
-g

Return to Top
#173600 - 03/25/04 10:31 PM Re: Emailing customer requests
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
If our customers insist on email, we get a hold harmless authorization from them since the internet is not secure.

Return to Top
#173601 - 03/26/04 06:34 PM Re: Emailing customer requests
SusyG Offline
100 Club
Are fax lines and phone lines and snail mail secure or encrypted?????????/

Return to Top
#173602 - 03/26/04 06:57 PM Re: Emailing customer requests
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Quote:

Are fax lines and phone lines and snail mail secure or encrypted?????????/

Generally unencrypted, but protected by federal laws from taps and tampering. Regardless, many banks will not fax such documents. I have heard of some that will ask the customer if they are on a wireless phone. If they are, they will not give information until the customer says they are now on a corded phone. Yea, right. Lots of customers are going to %$## for that one.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#173603 - 03/26/04 07:15 PM Re: Emailing customer requests
SusyG Offline
100 Club
I just start ranting when I have to jump through so many more hoops to deliver products and services electronically than when they are delivered over the phone, in the mail, by fax, etc. Is that image any more secure in the hands of the US post office or sitting in your customers mail box? So, if I am giving a customer information over a corded phone, I can be 100% sure that she and I are the only ones that were capable of hearing what was said? I just think that in reality, electronic delivery of products is just as secure or more so than traditional methods.

Maybe this relates back to the post about the wonderful job up in DC - JOB SECURITY for regulators.

Return to Top
#173604 - 03/26/04 07:18 PM Re: Emailing customer requests
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I agree. It is easier to steal a bank statement from an open mailbox than to retrieve an encrypted e-statement.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z