Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1738074 - 09/05/12 05:24 PM Mandatory password change on E-banking
10ACBanker Offline
10ACBanker
10AC (TN)
We currently require a password change every 90 days on our e-banking which causes quite a few complaints by our customers. Our requirements for passwords are 6 - 12 alpha numeric characters. We are considering extending the required 90-day to a longer period or perhaps doing away with the mandatory change. What are your time periods for e-banking password change?

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#1738080 - 09/05/12 05:37 PM Re: Mandatory password change on E-banking 10ACBanker
brandih Offline
Oklahoma
We don't require a password change for our e-banking customers. Our management thought that it would be too much of a hindrance to our customers to require them to change it. Good or bad, that's management's call.

Return to Top
#1738281 - 09/06/12 12:43 PM Re: Mandatory password change on E-banking 10ACBanker
GoGreen Offline
Gold Star
PA
We do not require a password change as our management too agreed that is not customer friendly. We do have a statement recommending that the customer change the password as a security precaution on the website.

Return to Top
#1738301 - 09/06/12 01:08 PM Re: Mandatory password change on E-banking 10ACBanker
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
We require a password change every 90 days. I don't think we've had many customer compliants. After a while everyone just gets used to it.

But about half the fraud we experience is through our online banking (computer viruses that captured passwords, etc.) so management is holding firm with the 90-day requirement as is.

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1739668 - 09/11/12 12:52 PM Re: Mandatory password change on E-banking manimal
A_G Offline
10K Club
None of my e-banking accounts require a password change. This includes the big guys like BoA, Amex, Capital One, etc.

Return to Top
#1740147 - 09/12/12 04:01 PM Re: Mandatory password change on E-banking 10ACBanker
Blonde Newbie Offline
Washington
We did require e-banking password changes. Customers were required to change them every 90 days and they had to be complex (uppercase, lowercase, number and at least 8 digits long). When when started that the phone was ringing off the hook and our customers complained LOUDLY!

5 weeks after all the phone calls and continued frustrations of our customers, we removed that requirement and just encourage them to keep their passwords safe and to consider changing the passwords periodically.

Return to Top
#1740149 - 09/12/12 04:05 PM Re: Mandatory password change on E-banking 10ACBanker
Blonde Newbie Offline
Washington
We did require e-banking password changes. Customers were required to change them every 90 days and they had to be complex (uppercase, lowercase, number and at least 8 digits long). When when started that the phone was ringing off the hook and our customers complained LOUDLY!

5 weeks after all the phone calls and continued frustrations of our customers, we removed that requirement and just encourage them to keep their passwords safe and to consider changing the passwords periodically.

Return to Top
#1743898 - 09/25/12 05:47 PM Re: Mandatory password change on E-banking 10ACBanker
Sallaia Offline
Sallaia
Tennessee
We used to require them as well. Once we were able to add in other LAYERS of security for our ACH and wire origination customers, the password change requirement was done away with.

I did not think it was prudent, but I was overruled. It does not help that our online banking has the least user-friendly automated password reset function of all times. So, few people could ever utilize it and they would have to call us.

Manpower + angry customers = change

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z