Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#1738226 - 09/05/12 10:12 PM Returned Mail - How to Get New Addresses
LisaJ Offline
So. Utah
I am currently in charge of handling our returned mail. In an effort to get new, correct addresses will send letters to new addresses with COA forms and self-addressed stamped envelopes, and still get, maybe, 1 out of 20 back. I will call and leave phone messages, I will contact them any way that I can, and I still get very few responses.

Does anyone have any advice, suggestions, time-tested ways of getting more consistent replies from customers when it comes to changing their addresses?

Thanks so much in advance for your help.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#1738228 - 09/05/12 10:51 PM Re: Returned Mail - How to Get New Addresses LisaJ
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
Does your teller system allow you to input alert messages? If so, the tellers can ask for an updated address, assuming the customer comes in to transact business.

Return to Top
#1738229 - 09/05/12 10:56 PM Re: Returned Mail - How to Get New Addresses LisaJ
Princess of Power Offline
Gold Star
Princess of Power
Napa, CA
Suspend their debit card ~ that will get their attention.

Return to Top
#1738507 - 09/06/12 05:28 PM Re: Returned Mail - How to Get New Addresses Princess of Power
SunnyFL, CRCM Offline
100 Club
FL
We have "Address Service Requested" on all of our envelopes. This is a service thru the post office where they will return the mail to us with a yellow sticker that indicates the customers forwarding address. I believe we pay $.50 for each address but it does help as long as the customer has given a forwarding address to the Post Office. We will then send the COA form to the new address but will only change our records and the system once we have the form back and verify the signature against our records.

Return to Top
#1739212 - 09/07/12 09:12 PM Re: Returned Mail - How to Get New Addresses califgirl
LisaJ Offline
So. Utah
@califgirl - Our Teller system does show alert messages and I have definitely been using it, but most of these customers have direct deposit and use their debit cards so they rarely have to come into the bank. :-(

Return to Top
#1739213 - 09/07/12 09:16 PM Re: Returned Mail - How to Get New Addresses Princess of Power
LisaJ Offline
So. Utah
@Princess of Power - Can I do that? That would almost definitely get them to give me their new addresses, but is that regulatorily (not sure if that is a word) legal to do? I would probably have to give them some sort of notice, correct?

Return to Top
#1739215 - 09/07/12 09:19 PM Re: Returned Mail - How to Get New Addresses SunnyFL, CRCM
LisaJ Offline
So. Utah
@SunnyFL - We use that same USPS service, but I still do not get replies from my customers when I send the COA forms to the addresses on the yellow stickers. Short of threatening to turn off their debit card (as per Princess of Power) or close their accounts I don't know what to do to get them to respond to me. GRRRRRR.

Return to Top
#1739243 - 09/08/12 02:22 AM Re: Returned Mail - How to Get New Addresses LisaJ
Greg Offline
Platinum Poster
Michigan
If you have access to imaged items take a look at recent checks - I often find the old address, phone and sometimes even last name crossed out and the new one handwritten in. It amazes me that people will give the hardware store their new address but forget to give it to their bank!

Return to Top