Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1737017 - 08/31/12 02:49 AM Maps and Geographies in CRA Public Binder
Fun times... Offline
100 Club
We are an Intermediate Small Bank for CRA. A requirement is to have a map of each assessment area and it's geographies.

I would like to get some ideas of what others put in their binders to display this information. I currenly have google maps of each location and assessment area maps showing the Census Tracts in each county we serve. What else should I include/change?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Return to Top
CRA
#1738621 - 09/06/12 07:32 PM Re: Maps and Geographies in CRA Public Binder Fun times...
Bluesfan57 Offline
100 Club
Peak 10 Breck, CO
wedo almost exactly as you stated.

use CRAWIZ to create a map of each of our Assessment Areas and then shade the different tracts by income. a small legend in the corner tells how many tracts of each income level there are

Return to Top
#1739363 - 09/10/12 03:30 PM Re: Maps and Geographies in CRA Public Binder Fun times...
CarolinaComplian Offline
good ol south
We create our maps in CRAWiz as well. One thing you may want to do, which was something an examiner told me a few years back. Be sure to have a list of the Census Tracts for each AA. Sometime there are so many in one area, that it's hard to read on a map.

Return to Top
#1739366 - 09/10/12 03:38 PM Re: Maps and Geographies in CRA Public Binder Fun times...
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
When the map has many tracts it is better to have the list. The tract numbers look like spilled Ink on the map. I turn the off in highly populated areas.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1739609 - 09/10/12 10:51 PM Re: Maps and Geographies in CRA Public Binder Fun times...
bOaty Offline
Power Poster
bOaty
Chillin an grillin
I seem to remember that you should not include any reference to the income levels of your trats listed in the public file. Now that I am researching this, I don't see any reference to this in the Reg.

Am I missing something? Was this taken out somewhere along the way?

Return to Top
#1739618 - 09/11/12 12:45 AM Re: Maps and Geographies in CRA Public Binder Fun times...

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
That is not in the reg or law anywhere. It is one of those examiner myths. The income levels are public data! Anyone can look them up in census data or the FFIEC website.

Return to Top
#1739727 - 09/11/12 02:02 PM Re: Maps and Geographies in CRA Public Binder Fun times...
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
CRA urban legends!!!

Dang examiners!

Return to Top
#1739738 - 09/11/12 02:13 PM Re: Maps and Geographies in CRA Public Binder Fun times...

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Perhaps we need a regulatory version of SNOPES.

Return to Top
#1739740 - 09/11/12 02:14 PM Re: Maps and Geographies in CRA Public Binder Fun times...
bOaty Offline
Power Poster
bOaty
Chillin an grillin
laugh Maybe so. OK, I guess I don't need to worry about that anymore!! smile

Thanks!

Return to Top
#1739749 - 09/11/12 02:28 PM Re: Maps and Geographies in CRA Public Binder Fun times...

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
I have heard of examiners not wanting it in the public file, but I personally would explain that it is public data available at any number of places.

Return to Top
#1739913 - 09/11/12 06:51 PM Re: Maps and Geographies in CRA Public Binder Fun times...
bOaty Offline
Power Poster
bOaty
Chillin an grillin
Very true, it's available right there for everyone.

Return to Top
#1740588 - 09/13/12 03:18 PM Re: Maps and Geographies in CRA Public Binder Fun times...
bOaty Offline
Power Poster
bOaty
Chillin an grillin
Another Public File question:

When listing the branches and the dates they were opened, would you have to list a branch that had moved? The branch did not close down, it just moved. Can I show the new address with the original opening date of the branch?

Or, do I need to show the original branch as closed and then a new branch opening at the new address?

Return to Top
#1740694 - 09/13/12 06:23 PM Re: Maps and Geographies in CRA Public Binder Fun times...
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
I always just showed it on the list as relocated and the date if it was in the same CT or one of the same income level. If it was moving further away or changing CT levels then I would show as closed and reopened.

Return to Top
#1740753 - 09/13/12 08:34 PM Re: Maps and Geographies in CRA Public Binder CRAatBOK

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Originally Posted By: CRAatBOK
I always just showed it on the list as relocated and the date if it was in the same CT or one of the same income level. If it was moving further away or changing CT levels then I would show as closed and reopened.

This is a fairly common method to document branch moves. You do want to pay attention to such moves as it may be leaving a low/mod area...then you have the same issues as a closure.

Return to Top
#1741135 - 09/14/12 07:21 PM Re: Maps and Geographies in CRA Public Binder CarolinaComplian
CSB98 Offline
Diamond Poster
Wisconsin
Where can I find a quick reference listing all the census tracts in a county?

Return to Top
#1741140 - 09/14/12 07:25 PM Re: Maps and Geographies in CRA Public Binder Fun times...

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Right here at the FFIEC CRA site:

http://www.ffiec.gov/census/default.aspx

Select your state and county.

Return to Top
#1741196 - 09/14/12 08:19 PM Re: Maps and Geographies in CRA Public Binder Fun times...
CSB98 Offline
Diamond Poster
Wisconsin
I don't know why I didn't see this before. This is wonderful! Thank you!!

Return to Top