Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1734698 - 08/24/12 02:29 PM Preferred Risk Policy - Incorrect Zone
basilring Offline
Gold Star
Spartan Country!
We have a customer who is refinancing their loan. We discovered they are now in a flood zone. They got a Preferred Risk Policy which shows they are rated in a flood zone X, and their existing zone is a flood zone X.

This is incorrect, they are now in a flood zone A. We held up their closing on the refi until they get the policy corrected and contacted our flood tracking company to start the notification cycle for their current loan.

Our flood tracking company refused to do so, because of question 71 and 72 from July 2009.

I read these and do not see what they are referring to... so I did more research on preferred policies and found CA 10-13 from the FRB which states "Lenders need not delay closings during this process. Differences between....are not to be considered discrepancies."

Help! Do we let the refinance happen, even though the zone is incorrect? How do we get this fixed and not be cited... according to #72, we need to make a "bona fide effort".

Do we not put them in the notification cycle for the existing loan? But still track for the discrepancy?

Flood always puzzles me.... keeps me guessing!

Thanks.
Lisa

Return to Top
Flood Compliance
#1734904 - 08/24/12 06:31 PM Re: Preferred Risk Policy - Incorrect Zone basilring
3-2-Go Offline
Gold Star
3-2-Go
East
I would start the notification process and would not finalize any new loans until this was corrected.

Return to Top
#1737679 - 09/04/12 05:02 PM Re: Preferred Risk Policy - Incorrect Zone basilring
basilring Offline
Gold Star
Spartan Country!
I was hoping to get answers from a few people on this... hesitant to go either was, since it seems I am getting conflicting info.

Thanks! And I do appreciate the response I have received!

Happy Tuesday/Monday!

Return to Top
#1737685 - 09/04/12 05:21 PM Re: Preferred Risk Policy - Incorrect Zone basilring
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Originally Posted By: basilring
We have a customer who is refinancing their loan. We discovered they are now in a flood zone. They got a Preferred Risk Policy which shows they are rated in a flood zone X, and their existing zone is a flood zone X.

This is incorrect, they are now in a flood zone A. We held up their closing on the refi until they get the policy corrected and contacted our flood tracking company to start the notification cycle for their current loan.

Our flood tracking company refused to do so, because of question 71 and 72 from July 2009.

I read these and do not see what they are referring to... so I did more research on preferred policies and found CA 10-13 from the FRB which states "Lenders need not delay closings during this process. Differences between....are not to be considered discrepancies."

Help! Do we let the refinance happen, even though the zone is incorrect? How do we get this fixed and not be cited... according to #72, we need to make a "bona fide effort".

Do we not put them in the notification cycle for the existing loan? But still track for the discrepancy?

Flood always puzzles me.... keeps me guessing!

Thanks.
Lisa

Is the preferred risk policy grandfathered?

http://www.floodsmart.gov/floodsmart/pages/flooding_flood_risks/grandfathering.jsp
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1738214 - 09/05/12 08:55 PM Re: Preferred Risk Policy - Incorrect Zone Kathleen O. Blanchard
basilring Offline
Gold Star
Spartan Country!
No, it is not grandfathered.

Return to Top
#1738239 - 09/05/12 11:48 PM Re: Preferred Risk Policy - Incorrect Zone basilring
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
There is more to PRPs than meets the eye. It takes an in-depth knowledge of the specific rules, when the policy was originally issued, when the map changes went into effect, etc., etc.

PRP FAQs: Does this replace grandfathering?

Pre-and Post-FIRM buildings mapped into a high-risk area after October 1, 2008 will be eligible for the grandfather rules after the two PRP policy years are completed. To qualify for grandfather rates after the two extended PRP policy years, the grandfathering guidelines must still be met; e.g., pre-FIRM buildings must maintain coverage continuously and have no substantial damage or improvement to be eligible for grandfathering after the PRP extension period is over.

Return to Top
#1738247 - 09/06/12 01:22 AM Re: Preferred Risk Policy - Incorrect Zone basilring
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
It is a complex topic. Not for the faint of heart.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1738368 - 09/06/12 02:24 PM Re: Preferred Risk Policy - Incorrect Zone basilring
basilring Offline
Gold Star
Spartan Country!
Agreed... and I am not sure how to proceed. Our flood vendor will not force place on their existing loan, but will continue to keep them in the notification cycle. And I am fearful of holding up their closing because of the FRB letter I quoted above.

It does say in the Q&A if you make a "bona fide effort" you will not be cited, but it is my understanding that examiners do not always practice that thought.

If the PRP said X and A, we would be fine... but should we be fussing because it says X and X?

Return to Top
#1739861 - 09/11/12 05:31 PM Re: Preferred Risk Policy - Incorrect Zone basilring
Dodge Offline
Gold Star
I just received a preferred risk policy today. It's the first one I've seen. The customer is buying a house that is in flood AE but the rate quoted is for flood zone X. The dec page says flood zone AE as the current flood zone, but the rated flood zone is X.

Is this acceptable? I haven't done much research on preferred risk policies. The rate that was quoted will only be good for two years, so after two years the rate is will increase? The customer structure is a pre-firm.

Return to Top
#1739986 - 09/11/12 11:46 PM Re: Preferred Risk Policy - Incorrect Zone basilring
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Yes, it appears, based on what I have read regarding these PRPs that is how they basically work.

Return to Top
#1741752 - 09/18/12 04:47 PM Re: Preferred Risk Policy - Incorrect Zone Dodge
basilring Offline
Gold Star
Spartan Country!
I agree that is correct. We have had preferred risk policies before... although extremely rare. And based on the research I did for my issue, that is what I read also.

Return to Top