Skip to content
GeoDataVision
Thread Options
#1740114 - 09/12/12 03:07 PM Section 8 problem?
Ninky Offline
Gold Star
Ninky
Our MLOs want to do a prize drawing as the "draw" to their booth at a Mortgage Originator Fest. Last year, they indicated that many other originators had some sort of prize they were raffling off.

My understanding is that any time you provide something of value in exchange for the anticipated referral of business (some of which might be business of a nature covered by RESPA), you're playing with fire. Granted, this is a random drawing, but the entire participating audience is in a mortgage related field. Am I correct that this could constitute a Section 8 violation?

Return to Top
RESPA
#1740121 - 09/12/12 03:13 PM Re: Section 8 problem? Ninky
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
As long as it is open to everyone, I would chalk it up under this exception:

(vi) Normal promotional and educational activities that are not conditioned on the referral of business and that do not involve the defraying of expenses that otherwise would be incurred by persons in a position to refer settlement services or business incident thereto;

Return to Top
#1740183 - 09/12/12 05:01 PM Re: Section 8 problem? Ninky
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
However, I would think it would fall under lottery rules...doesn't sound like this is open to John Q Public to me.
Last edited by RR Joker; 09/12/12 05:02 PM.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1740209 - 09/12/12 05:35 PM Re: Section 8 problem? Ninky
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
What "consideration" is involved to make this a lottery?

Return to Top
#1740262 - 09/12/12 06:14 PM Re: Section 8 problem? Ninky
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I have no idea...might they have to pay to be there? Buy a ticket for instance?

Return to Top
#1740266 - 09/12/12 06:20 PM Re: Section 8 problem? Ninky
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
What would they be giving to the bank? I don't see any direct consideration. It's like drop your business card into a fish bowl type event I am sure.

Return to Top
#1740286 - 09/12/12 06:50 PM Re: Section 8 problem? Ninky
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I was thinking of this:

Consideration is a somewhat elusive aspect of promotion law, but some generalities can be drawn. It takes either of two basic forms: monetary, in which the consumer must pay the sponsor to play (a purchase or an entry fee), or non-monetary, in which the consumer must expend substantial time or effort (completion of a detailed questionnaire or a mandatory visit to the sponsor's retail location, for example) to participate.

Someone is holding the event...if they are charging for entry, this would seem to apply. If they (the participants) had no idea there would be drawings, then it wouldn't hold up. Is it probably any kind of real risk involved? Doubtful...just throwing the thought out there.

Last edited by RR Joker; 09/12/12 06:51 PM. Reason: added ( )

Return to Top
#1740357 - 09/12/12 08:14 PM Re: Section 8 problem? Ninky
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
I think the 'entry fee' would only be in there if they were paying to get into the drawing, not teh event where the drawing is taking place. I think this type of drawing is fine as long as they aren't paying for a chance to win the prize and anyone can enter. Just MHO.

Return to Top
#1740496 - 09/13/12 01:16 PM Re: Section 8 problem? Ninky
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
It reads like a very grey area...going back to whether or not the fee is 'blind' or the fact they know there will be prizes involved.

Again..just throwing it out for the sake of a 'full circle thought'...I don't see it as any kind of big risk. wink

Return to Top

Moderator:  QCL