Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1740336 - 09/12/12 07:52 PM Representative Payee Accounts/Help!!
ackcompliance Offline
100 Club
I had a few questions regarding Representative Payee Accounts. Can we refuse to open these types of accounts? If so, what are the consequences? If not, do we have to monitor them to verify that the beneficiary is not withdrawing the funds? & what liabilities does the bank carry with these types of accounts?

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#1740352 - 09/12/12 08:06 PM Re: Representative Payee Accounts/Help!! ackcompliance
dottiec Offline
Gold Star
You never have to open an account you are uncomfortable with. As far as monitoring, it isn't your problem. The Rep Payee needs to account for the money, not you. But, like I always tell my staff, that doesn't give you a pass on blatant acts- issuing a debit card to beneficiary or giving beneficiary a counter check.

Hope this helps.

Return to Top
#1740381 - 09/12/12 08:43 PM Re: Representative Payee Accounts/Help!! ackcompliance
ackcompliance Offline
100 Club
So is the liability for these accounts any more then for a regular checking or savings account?

Return to Top
#1740558 - 09/13/12 02:30 PM Re: Representative Payee Accounts/Help!! ackcompliance
dottiec Offline
Gold Star
Not to my knowledge. Go online to SSA and look for the Guide for Representative Payees to see what the rep payee is agreeing to when they apply.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett