BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#1740313 - 09/12/12 07:27 PM Text Abbreviations in Work Communications
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
Ok, maybe I am just old fashioned (or maybe I am just old) but I have to ask, is anyone else shocked and not overly happy about the sudden text abbreviations I see in so many business communications?

A reply to a meeting invitation with "IDK - I'll let you know"...or an e-mail with a complaint from a customer being forwarded with a "WT (you know what)" prefix from a bank associate...or even "TTYL" from a vendor you are meeting later in the day. I just don't believe that this is acceptable and common in our field? We are not running a hot dog stand, we are running a bank!

Ok, rant over, someone let me know please if this is just me being too traditional or if others agree with me?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1740315 - 09/12/12 07:32 PM Re: Text Abbreviations in Work Communications Beagles22
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Half of them I don't even know what they mean. WT? I would never have thought it was "you know what."

Return to Top
#1740323 - 09/12/12 07:42 PM Re: Text Abbreviations in Work Communications Beagles22
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
Funny! but there is another letter in the e-mail I got after the WT....but it is the first letter of the big bad F word so it wouldn't let me put that on here. What The ..... now you can really see why it is not appropriate for a work E-mail!!

Additionally I had to ask one of my tellers what IDK means...apparently it is a common abbreviation for I don't know...common to them, not to me!

Return to Top
#1740325 - 09/12/12 07:43 PM Re: Text Abbreviations in Work Communications Beagles22
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
idk

CAMS

Return to Top
#1740327 - 09/12/12 07:45 PM Re: Text Abbreviations in Work Communications Beagles22
Loralie Offline
100 Club
Loralie
IL
I admit to being guilty of this a little. An "lol, btw, or wth" to a co worker or vendor I'm particularly friendly with, but never to a customer and rarely to co workers.

And MUM, she was saying WTH (What The H3ll, trying not to say H3ll.)

Return to Top
#1740328 - 09/12/12 07:45 PM Re: Text Abbreviations in Work Communications Beagles22
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I think that is way over the top. Similar to our dress code here. I'm still quite bothered by some of the attire at our employee meeting last night. Several people went home and changed into shorts and flip flops - and we had two police officer's here as guest speakers.
Last edited by Duchess Skittles; 09/12/12 07:46 PM.

Return to Top
#1740329 - 09/12/12 07:47 PM Re: Text Abbreviations in Work Communications Beagles22
Loralie Offline
100 Club
Loralie
IL
Duchess- I will change into Jeans for our quarterly staff meetings, but never shorts, and it's always a conservative top. But then, our quarterly staff meetings tend to be at places with a bar.... smile

Return to Top
#1740332 - 09/12/12 07:49 PM Re: Text Abbreviations in Work Communications Beagles22
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
A CU, Where Regs Don't Apply
I don't like them in texts, let alone anything more professional, and I'm of the age range where it's standard practice. I will use an occasional "lol" but it's not something I'd type out either. Anything beyond that gets full words. I like my vowels and don't think they deserve to be thrown aside! smile

Return to Top
#1740338 - 09/12/12 07:53 PM Re: Text Abbreviations in Work Communications Skittles
grmasterb Offline
Diamond Poster
grmasterb
Indiana
Originally Posted By: Duchess Skittles
Several people went home and changed into shorts and flip flops - and we had two police officer's here as guest speakers.

omg smh

Return to Top
#1740347 - 09/12/12 07:59 PM Re: Text Abbreviations in Work Communications Loralie
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
Originally Posted By: Loralie
I admit to being guilty of this a little. An "lol, btw, or wth" to a co worker or vendor I'm particularly friendly with, but never to a customer and rarely to co workers.

And MUM, she was saying WTH (What The H3ll, trying not to say H3ll.)

I wish it had ended with an H - in the message he ended it with an F...

As far as dress code, don't even get me started. We agree to allow NFL shirts one day - and 2 people showed up in JEAN SHORTS - even though it said 'keep it professional' - guess the 20 somethings in our office have a different description of professional in lots of ways...

Return to Top
#1740353 - 09/12/12 08:06 PM Re: Text Abbreviations in Work Communications Beagles22
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
kthxbai!

^^ not appropriate? laugh

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1740355 - 09/12/12 08:09 PM Re: Text Abbreviations in Work Communications grmasterb
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
Originally Posted By: grmasterb
Originally Posted By: Duchess Skittles
Several people went home and changed into shorts and flip flops - and we had two police officer's here as guest speakers.

omg smh

OK, what does smh mean?

And I am so glad that you guys find it inappropriate as well! I am not nearly old enough to be the old grumpy lady around here!!

Return to Top
#1740358 - 09/12/12 08:14 PM Re: Text Abbreviations in Work Communications Beagles22
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
IMHO ( wink ), I think some abbreviations are OK with certain co-workers with whom you interact with frequently and in certain contexts. For interdepartmental communication and certainly with vendors and customers, it should be strictly professional.

I wouldn't ask a loan officer to clarify a potential Reg B issue with an email containing OMG!

Return to Top
#1740360 - 09/12/12 08:24 PM Re: Text Abbreviations in Work Communications Beagles22
Bobby Boucher Offline
Power Poster
Bobby Boucher
Down Yonder
Originally Posted By: Beagle Queen
Additionally I had to ask one of my tellers what IDK means

laugh

Did it go like this?

BQ: "What does IDK mean?"

Teller 1: "I don't know."

Teller 2: "I don't know."

Teller 3: "I don't know."

BQ: "Glad I'm not the only one!"

laugh

Return to Top
#1740361 - 09/12/12 08:26 PM Re: Text Abbreviations in Work Communications Beagles22
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
That is REMARKABLY what the conversation sounded like!!

Return to Top
#1740363 - 09/12/12 08:28 PM Re: Text Abbreviations in Work Communications manimal
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
Originally Posted By: manimal
kthxbai!

^^ not appropriate? laugh

luv that one!

kthxbai! smile

Return to Top
#1740373 - 09/12/12 08:37 PM Re: Text Abbreviations in Work Communications Beagles22
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
http://www.netlingo.com/acronyms.php

Here ya go Mum. A translator!

Return to Top
#1740374 - 09/12/12 08:38 PM Re: Text Abbreviations in Work Communications Beagles22
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
On a similar note, I worked with a lender who was very careless with spelling, punctuation, and grammar in his emails. He sent one to a board member, who then stormed into the bank and chewed the guy out for his lack of professionalism. He learned to use spellcheck after that.

Return to Top
#1740378 - 09/12/12 08:42 PM Re: Text Abbreviations in Work Communications Beagles22
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
SMH = Shaking my head.

IDK. I think email communications are inherently more casual than other written forms of communication. In that respect I think some commonly known abbreviations are OK (and hey, there's one of them!) LOL, BTW, FYI, all OK in my book. But I would NOT be happy about anybody forwarding an email prefaced by WT.F or WTH. That is NOT appropriate. Just imagine if it got inadvertently 'Rely to All'-ed and the customer saw that.

How to explain what is and what isn't appropriate to people who are used to text speak though, that's tricky.

Return to Top
#1740384 - 09/12/12 08:51 PM Re: Text Abbreviations in Work Communications Beagles22
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
Dani - thanks for the translator - I guess I may need it!

I think spelling and grammar has gone so far to the dogs in the next generation they won't know how to write at all without spell and grammar check. Sad :-(

EGB - after reading all this I think I am SMH...guess I better get up on the times so I know what people are saying!! as far as either of the WT - I think next time I will explain that those abbreviations are the same as swearing and won't be tolerated.

Return to Top
#1740398 - 09/12/12 09:27 PM Re: Text Abbreviations in Work Communications Beagles22
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
I do not like text abbreviations in work communications at all. I don't even like the breezy familiarity with which some of the younger generation phrase their business communications. I also do not agree with anything other than business dress for people who will be dealing with customers or business partners.

Call me a curmudgeon, but I believe in standards, and I believe they should be upheld. If you want to be treated as and perceived as a professional, then dress, talk, and act like a professional.

Careless or casual communication, coiffure, or clothing lend themselves to careless or casual cogitation.

Return to Top
#1740399 - 09/12/12 09:28 PM Re: Text Abbreviations in Work Communications Beagles22
Peepers Offline
10K Club
I think you better learn to accept the abbreviations or you will be SOL

Return to Top
#1740415 - 09/12/12 09:58 PM Re: Text Abbreviations in Work Communications Peepers
A_G Offline
10K Club
hctc...

Return to Top
#1740428 - 09/12/12 10:56 PM Re: Text Abbreviations in Work Communications Bobby Boucher
cbu3 Offline
Gold Star
CA
Who's on first?

Return to Top
#1740441 - 09/13/12 01:20 AM Re: Text Abbreviations in Work Communications Beagles22
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
hmu...

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3