Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#1740602 - 09/13/12 03:41 PM Re: Chicago Teachers on strike, kids can't read Queen Mum
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted By: Queen Mum
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
Originally Posted By: B_F
Wait, you think that you can just jump from being a teacher in an elementary or Jr. High school to a university? LOL

why, yes, BF, if one has the educational background, one can. My son's high school lost 3 teachers from last year to the local college...2 were working on their Masters and one the PhD. and were recruited by the college based on their graduation date.

And depending on how fast a college is growing and how badly they need teachers, some have even taken without a masters...

Not here. We have a branch campus of a university in town. The Dean called wanting me to teach a night class on Music History since one of my degrees is Vocal Music Education. Couldn't do it because I don't have a Masters.

which is why i said: some have even taken without a masters...

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1740627 - 09/13/12 04:17 PM Re: Chicago Teachers on strike, kids can't read HappyGilmore
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
Originally Posted By: Queen Mum
Originally Posted By: B_F
Wait, you think that you can just jump from being a teacher in an elementary or Jr. High school to a university? LOL

why, yes, BF, if one has the educational background, one can. My son's high school lost 3 teachers from last year to the local college...2 were working on their Masters and one the PhD. and were recruited by the college based on their graduation date.

And depending on how fast a college is growing and how badly they need teachers, some have even taken without a masters...

Not here. We have a branch campus of a university in town. The Dean called wanting me to teach a night class on Music History since one of my degrees is Vocal Music Education. Couldn't do it because I don't have a Masters.

which is why i said: some have even taken without a masters...

But those arent upper case letters, so he's not shouting! laugh
Last edited by Bankbb1, PITA; 09/13/12 04:18 PM.

Return to Top
#1740726 - 09/13/12 07:22 PM Re: Chicago Teachers on strike, kids can't read Bankbb1, PITA
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
And all I did was state that they didn't do that here. I'm not shouting either as I'm not arguing....just making a statement.

Return to Top
#1740728 - 09/13/12 07:30 PM Re: Chicago Teachers on strike, kids can't read MyBrainHurts
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Originally Posted By: MyBrainHurts
I wonder if the Illinois teachers and other public employees will see all of the fat pensions they've been promised. The state pension system is so underfunded, and the state government just keeps kicking the can down the road. Eventually, the state could have to file bankruptcy. I don't know what will happen to the pensions then. Maybe the federal government will pick up the liability, and then you taxpayers in the other 49 states can pay it.

This is exactly what our governor has been trying to address, and he's gotten a lot of heat for it. But he took on the NJEA (New Jersey Education Association), perhaps the most powerful union in the state, and won concessions. I can't remember anyone else ever attempting that. He even had the temerity to cap superintendent salaries at a level equal to the governor's salary, $175,000 per annum. Consequently, a number of superintendents have left the state, to the greener pastures of NY and CT.

Return to Top
#1740737 - 09/13/12 08:10 PM Re: Chicago Teachers on strike, kids can't read Sinatra Fan
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Thanks a lot frown

CAMS

Return to Top
#1740740 - 09/13/12 08:14 PM Re: Chicago Teachers on strike, kids can't read edAudit
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Hey, if you guys wouldn't pay them, they wouldn't have gone there. I have to admit: I was a bit stunned to see how much some of them were able to get in salary.

Return to Top
#1740745 - 09/13/12 08:19 PM Re: Chicago Teachers on strike, kids can't read Pale Rider
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Some one needs to be the 1%rs

CAMS

Return to Top
#1740880 - 09/14/12 01:39 PM Re: Chicago Teachers on strike, kids can't read Pale Rider
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Are they still out on strike?

Return to Top
#1740903 - 09/14/12 02:13 PM Re: Chicago Teachers on strike, kids can't read Wonderofitall
Bob The Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob The Banker
Originally Posted By: Wonderofitall
SAIVE OUR SKOOLS!

wow, your spelling is bad.... it's ARE not OUR. shesh.. smile

Return to Top
#1740963 - 09/14/12 03:34 PM Re: Chicago Teachers on strike, kids can't read Bob The Banker
GuitarDude Online
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
Originally Posted By: Bob The Banker
Originally Posted By: Wonderofitall
SAIVE OUR SKOOLS!

wow, your spelling is bad.... it's ARE not OUR. shesh.. smile

Yeah, you should of known that! wink

Return to Top
#1740978 - 09/14/12 03:58 PM Re: Chicago Teachers on strike, kids can't read Pale Rider
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Can't take education for granite.

Return to Top
#1741006 - 09/14/12 04:30 PM Re: Chicago Teachers on strike, kids can't read Pale Rider
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
It's for the stoodents!

Return to Top
#1741008 - 09/14/12 04:35 PM Re: Chicago Teachers on strike, kids can't read raitchjay
A_G Online
10K Club
I thought that spelling and grammar were no longer important?

Return to Top
#1741093 - 09/14/12 06:30 PM Re: Chicago Teachers on strike, kids can't read Pale Rider
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Originally Posted By: Pale Rider
Are they still out on strike?

Yes. Hopefully, an agreement will be made today and the kids can get back to school Monday. That's what my friend, who is a reluctantly striking teacher is being told.

Return to Top
#1741096 - 09/14/12 06:44 PM Re: Chicago Teachers on strike, kids can't read Pale Rider
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
yes, because crossing the picket line to honor your contractual obligations can lead to worse problems...such as flat tires, beatings, and alienation by your peers...

Return to Top
#1741101 - 09/14/12 06:51 PM Re: Chicago Teachers on strike, kids can't read Pale Rider
Bob The Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob The Banker
I wish I could find a part-time job that paid $70k and could strike to get more!

Return to Top
#1741136 - 09/14/12 07:21 PM Re: Chicago Teachers on strike, kids can't read Pale Rider
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
They aren't striking over pay. I think they are stuck on another issue.

Return to Top
#1741165 - 09/14/12 07:52 PM Re: Chicago Teachers on strike, kids can't read Pale Rider
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
pay is a portion of the issue, but just to show it was not the main issue, they agreed to a 3% increase per year for 4 years versus a 4% increase per year...in a school system that is currently running a deficit of over $1b dollars

Return to Top
#1741168 - 09/14/12 07:55 PM Re: Chicago Teachers on strike, kids can't read HappyGilmore
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
yes, because crossing the picket line to honor your contractual obligations can lead to worse problems...such as flat tires, beatings, and alienation by your peers...

There's no option to cross the picket lines. Most schools are closed and locked completely; the schools that are being kept open for students to have somewhere to go other than the streets are being staffed by non-union employees, and no sane parent with any other choice would send their kids there. It's not just a simple matter of "choosing" not to strike. If you're a union teacher in Chicago, you do what your extremely powerful union tells you you're doing.

Return to Top
#1741185 - 09/14/12 08:09 PM Re: Chicago Teachers on strike, kids can't read Pale Rider
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
As teachers are government workers and Unions were set up to protect the union workers from abusive bosses why do they need a union again?

CAMS

Return to Top
#1741190 - 09/14/12 08:14 PM Re: Chicago Teachers on strike, kids can't read Pale Rider
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Yes, they will agree to the raise but eliminate any performance related metrics, eliminate merit pay increases and eliminate perfomance reviews altogther. Then they will hold hands and say how this was all for the kids' sake.

Return to Top
#1741200 - 09/14/12 08:27 PM Re: Chicago Teachers on strike, kids can't read Pale Rider
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
The mayor's office has a lot of power and control but Chicago will need to become California before that will happen.

Forward!

Return to Top
#1741205 - 09/14/12 08:35 PM Re: Chicago Teachers on strike, kids can't read Pale Rider
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Many years ago my school district had a strike in my senior year. I crossed the picket line as a 16-17 year old. With the teachers yelling and name calling. The strike was declared illegal by the courts but they continued. In the end the teachers got what they were looking for (a salary more than double the parent salary). They should have instead fired them all for holding an illegal strike. It gave me a good perspective of who my "esteemed" teachers and politicians (with no backbone)were. Fast forward to today nothing has changed.

CAMS

Return to Top
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4