Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1741295 - 09/17/12 01:04 PM CTR Abbreviations
LizzyP Offline
TX
Is there anywhere in the CTR regulations that state that there cannot be any abbreviations on the form (ex, address abbreviatons)???

Last edited by LizzyP; 09/17/12 01:08 PM.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1741301 - 09/17/12 01:23 PM Re: CTR Abbreviations LizzyP
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Outside of the state and country abbreviations provided, that is what the instructions appear to suggest. Whether other standard postal abbreviations are acceptable such St and Ave are not addressed (so to speak).

Return to Top
#1741302 - 09/17/12 01:29 PM Re: CTR Abbreviations rlcarey
LizzyP Offline
TX
Do you have any comments on how Regulators look at CTR's with abbreviations (such at ST and Ave)?

Return to Top
#1741303 - 09/17/12 01:30 PM Re: CTR Abbreviations LizzyP
BFrame Offline
Gold Star
BFrame
USA
Any training I've ever attended, the trainer instructed us to use the same format as the United States Postal Service for addresses.

This is an exerpt from a manual I received:
A U.S. city name should match the city name used by the U.S. Postal Service for the associated state and ZIP Code. For U.S. address use only the authorized U.S. Postal Service state, territory, or military address abbreviations found at https://www.usps.com/ship/official-abbreviations.htm.

We used the same practice for the old forms & have not had any comments from examiners/auditors.

Return to Top
#1741306 - 09/17/12 01:37 PM Re: CTR Abbreviations LizzyP
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
However, the new instructions clearly state:

Enter the street address of the suspect. Left justified and space filled. Do not abbreviate.

Might be time for a call to the FinCEN helpline. If they do allow for abbreviations, then this document will be a must for checking to make sure that your abbreviations are truely acceptable when it comes to Post Office standards.

http://pe.usps.gov/cpim/ftp/pubs/pub28/pub28.pdf

Just another example of the lack of specific guidance by FinCEN with the new "reports". The "official speak" from FinCEN no longer refers to the CTR and SAR as "forms".

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z