Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1740763 - 09/13/12 09:01 PM Remote Deposit- Check Endorsement
Bank Compliance Offline
New Poster
We have a business customer that does not want to have to endorse their checks (large volumes) they run through remote deposit. As a bank we can accept this risk and not require it... Correct?! Does anyone else not require endorsement on Remote Deposit Customers?!

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#1740775 - 09/13/12 09:19 PM Re: Remote Deposit- Check Endorsement Bank Compliance
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Many remote deposit machines automatically supply the endorsement. Why would you allow something through RDC that you would not allow over the counter? Might as well not get any endorsements.

Return to Top
#1740787 - 09/13/12 09:28 PM Re: Remote Deposit- Check Endorsement rlcarey
Bank Compliance Offline
New Poster
It sounds like it is something to do with the scanner that the customer has- currently it does not have an endorsement capabilities.

Return to Top
#1741031 - 09/14/12 05:17 PM Re: Remote Deposit- Check Endorsement Bank Compliance
tdogz Offline
100 Club
tdogz
Our scanners apply an endorsement that we choose on our RDC deposits. You just have to make sure your system supports it & that the customer's scanner has the capability (there are models that don't have the capability).

Return to Top
#1741037 - 09/14/12 05:26 PM Re: Remote Deposit- Check Endorsement Bank Compliance
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Your bank guarantees any missing endorsements...if this customer puts through a check payable to rlcarey, you guarantee that rlcarey either got the money or it went into an account in his name. That's a pretty big promise to make...

Return to Top
#1741094 - 09/14/12 06:31 PM Re: Remote Deposit- Check Endorsement Bank Compliance
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
... when you only have an opportunity to check things out after the deposit is scanned and completed. I'd be wary of giving approval unless you are really confident in the RDC customer.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1741868 - 09/18/12 07:03 PM Re: Remote Deposit- Check Endorsement Bank Compliance
Sallaia Offline
Sallaia
Tennessee
Until our scanners got the ability to apply a virtual endorsement after scanning, we mandated that checks be endorsed, same as if they were bringing them into the branch.

You may want to verify with your RDC provider to see if they offer virtual endorsements because that ability snuck up on us a few years ago and we almost missed it.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett