Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1742267 - 09/19/12 06:47 PM Unusual Coin Activity
Waterfall Offline
PA
We have a customer who has come in with $1,000 in $100s 3 times this week to get bags of dimes. He is 19 and never brings any coin back as some do that get coin to search it for rare coins. We can't figure out what he is doing with that much coin and even questioned him about it. He gave different answers to different tellers such as for his nephew's pre-school, or for the PTA, or for personal use. He works at a grocery store as a deli clerk, but only keeps $1 in his account with us so that he can get coins as a customer. However, I can't figure out what he would be doing with so many dimes. Has anyone ever heard of anything similar?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1742279 - 09/19/12 07:08 PM Re: Unusual Coin Activity Waterfall
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
No, but based on the fact that he:

Quote:
only keeps $1 in his account with us so that he can get coins as a customer

it's not something I would hear about again. wink A couple more times and you're going to either file a SAR or explain why you did not. Close the account.

Return to Top
#1742281 - 09/19/12 07:12 PM Re: Unusual Coin Activity Waterfall
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
Wait, back up. Where does a 19 year old get 30 $100 bills in one week?
And no, I've never heard of anything similar.

Return to Top
#1742333 - 09/19/12 08:09 PM Re: Unusual Coin Activity Waterfall
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
I had a customer a few years back who was doing the same thing with pennies. Although, instead of giving us an assortment of weird stories, he told us up front that he was sorting the pennies in order to extract the older ones that have a high copper content. He even posted videos on facebook that demonstrated his penny sorting machine.

It's entirely possible that your customer is doing something similar in search of silver. And since some of the more enthusiastic silver hoarders don't want a whole lot of competition, it wouldn't surprise me to hear someone provide an alternate story, lest the bank staff be inclined to searh the dimes themselves.

That he doesn't bring the coins back is also consistent with this type of activity. If he's sifting the dimes, then he's probably returning the ones that he isn't keeping to another branch, or even another bank, in order to avoid sifting the same pile over and over. This was my experience with my penny customer. He had a few "pickup" branches and a separate "dropoff" branch.

Depending on where in PA you're located, your customer may even know my customer...

Return to Top
#1742352 - 09/19/12 08:30 PM Re: Unusual Coin Activity Waterfall
Cape Codder Offline
Gold Star
Ditto what Ken said.

Return to Top
#1742360 - 09/19/12 08:42 PM Re: Unusual Coin Activity Waterfall
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Maybe when he dies he will be thought of as "dimelsss" (that would pennyless considering for future inflation) and they will find $7 million in dimes in his garage, like the guy that just died with that much gold. smile

Close the account and let someone else deal with this.

Return to Top
#1742594 - 09/20/12 03:51 PM Re: Unusual Coin Activity Waterfall
Waterfall Offline
PA
LOL, rlcarey! Believe me, we are closing the account! I was just trying to understand his activity and have yet to figure out his source of cash. Never a dull moment in the BSA Dept!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z