Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply Thread Options
#1721211 - 07/18/12 06:02 PM Charitable organization
Overboard Offline
100 Club
Overboard
Minnesota
Not sure what I should do with this.
Customer came in and opened a non-profit checking account. He had all the correct paper work. He is getting donations from different organizations but as far as I can tell he is only spending the money on himself. How should I handle this?

Thanks

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#1721230 - 07/18/12 06:32 PM Re: Charitable organization Overboard
AFaquir Offline
Platinum Poster
AFaquir
Top of the world... and never ...
Well depending on how the money is being deposited and used you could SAR the guy.

MBA Fin/MBS HR

My views only!

#1722159 - 07/22/12 11:37 AM Re: Charitable organization Overboard
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
What is "all the proper documentation"?

#1744324 - 09/26/12 04:18 PM Re: Charitable organization Overboard
sturner Offline
100 Club
Arkansas
I would also like to know the proper documentation as we just had a customer come in wanting to open a benifit type account for her husband who was burned during a chemical fire at work in which people can make donations to. We were not sure what all needed to be obtained for this type account for CIP purposes, etc. and how we should set it up.

#1745087 - 09/28/12 02:58 AM Re: Charitable organization Overboard
Greg Offline
Platinum Poster
Michigan
For CIP purposes you need a legally existing entity. In Michigan that means it must either be a DBA titled in the owner's name or an entity ( Inc, LLC, etc) registered with the State.

You are under no obligation to monitor what's done with the fund. That being said, if you believe he may be defrauding donors you should file a SAR - assuming the threshold is met.

Caution your tellers about "donation receipts." Unless the entity has a not for profit determination letter from the IRS "donations" are not tax deductible.

True example: a young wife and mother in our community disappeared. Her husband asked our manager to open an education account for their daughters. I refused, the local credit union opened the account. Thousands of dollars were donated - he cashed out and moved out of state. Eventually he was arrested and returned here to stand trial for murder and tax evasion for failure to claim the donations as income. Guilty on both counts. There were multiple stories in the media about the credit union that collected money for a wife killer.

Be charitable but dot your I's and cross your T's.

#1745115 - 09/28/12 01:10 PM Re: Charitable organization Overboard
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Quote:
as far as I can tell he is only spending the money on himself.

Sometimes people set up what looks like charitable organizations and then simply use the account as their own. Their motivation might simply be to avoid creditors or they may intend to solicit bogus contributions.

Either way, you don't want them. If you're into foreplay you can ask the customer what's up. Instead, you can just give the customer notice that the account is being closed. (I would try to do that before the activity got to the SAR filing threshold.)

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale