Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1746155 - 10/03/12 02:12 PM Loan purchaser notifying originating bank of SAR
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Bank assembles loan package and offers for sale in secondary market. In performing due diligence, would-be purchaser discovers that applicant's bank balances have been inflated. When contacted by purchaser, loan applicant acknowledges that he knowingly submitted false information.

Purchaser's representative informs applicant that it will file a SAR. Purchaser's representative then writes a letter to the originating bank pointing out the false statement and saying it is filing a SAR. The letter states the would-be purchaser is notifying the originating bank because it is required by law to do so.

Has anyone seen anything remotely like this? (No, this is not a hypothetical I cooked up for a BSA school.)

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1746171 - 10/03/12 02:40 PM Re: Loan purchaser notifying originating bank of SAR Elwood P. Dowd
Retread Offline
Power Poster
Retread
Southeast
I hope you are kidding. This deserves a lengthy response which I do not have time for right now. I think the first thing I would do would be to ask the would be purchaser for a copy of the "new" law that allows them or requires them to notify everybody, including the suspect, that a SAR has been filed. I think the would be purchaser is living on the edge, and flirting with disaster.

Return to Top
#1746201 - 10/03/12 03:32 PM Re: Loan purchaser notifying originating bank of SAR Elwood P. Dowd
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
I am with Retread on this.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1746437 - 10/03/12 09:07 PM Re: Loan purchaser notifying originating bank of SAR Elwood P. Dowd
WonderWoman Offline
Diamond Poster
WonderWoman
gone fishin'
They must be new to the BSA regs ... it has only been a month for some of these companies.

It sounds like those cases where a new reg comes out & people go wild crazy with it.

Return to Top
#1746930 - 10/05/12 09:58 AM Re: Loan purchaser notifying originating bank of SAR WonderWoman
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Quote:
It sounds like those cases where a new reg comes out & people go wild crazy with it.

Probably.

Per the November, 2010 Guidance I would say the originating bank is obligated to act:

If you or your institution becomes aware of an unauthorized disclosure of a SAR...you should immediately contact FinCEN's Office of Chief Counsel at (703) 905-3590...

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z