Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1747953 - 10/10/12 02:37 PM Prohibit the use of Co-signers
Tesla Offline
Power Poster
Can a bank prohibit lenders from accepting applications with co-signers? Or can they require the co-signer to be a co-borrower instead?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1747973 - 10/10/12 02:56 PM Re: Prohibit the use of Co-signers Tesla
COMPLIcated Offline
Diamond Poster
OK
We pretty much treat ours as a co-borrower but if they really are not getting the benefit of the funds then we also have them sign the Notice to Cosigner as well.

Return to Top
#1748121 - 10/10/12 05:22 PM Re: Prohibit the use of Co-signers Tesla
Tesla Offline
Power Poster
Playing devil's advocate here, if I walk into the bank wanting to be a co-signer but you make me a co-borrower but provide me with a co-signer notice - couldn't that be misleading?

Return to Top
#1748125 - 10/10/12 05:28 PM Re: Prohibit the use of Co-signers Tesla
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
The only difference between a co-signer and a co-borrower is that the co-borrower is supposed to get the benefit of the proceeds of the loan. They both sign the face of the note and are immediately liable for the loan. Failure to provide the notice to co-signer would be misleading.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1748133 - 10/10/12 05:38 PM Re: Prohibit the use of Co-signers Tesla
Tesla Offline
Power Poster
Thanks waldensouth and COMPLIcated!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z