Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1749036 - 10/12/12 07:19 PM E-mailing Overdraft Notices
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
I am not a deposit side guru, so I apologize if this is a dumb question.

I have customers that have signed up for electronic statements. I have some people that want to take these e-mail addresses and use them to contact the customer regarding overdrawn accounts.

I see this as a potential privacy issue as people that are not account holders my have access to that e-mail account and sending information they have not specifically agreed to get electronically may get into the wrong hands. Am I being too strict? Would you allow this?

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#1749039 - 10/12/12 07:26 PM Re: E-mailing Overdraft Notices Beagles22
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Messages from my bank (hopefully not NSF notices) come with the same security as my statement, I have to log in to read them. I would consider sending any personal information via garden variety e-mail pretty indiscrete, but not a violation of any regulation I am aware of.

Return to Top
#1749202 - 10/15/12 02:01 PM Re: E-mailing Overdraft Notices Beagles22
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
Thanks Ken, that is what I suggested to them and - THEY AGREED TO IT!! So they will send them out through the internet banking where the authorized person has to log in to get them. I appreciate your suggestion!

Return to Top
#1749771 - 10/17/12 03:24 AM Re: E-mailing Overdraft Notices Beagles22
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
One wrinkle to consider -- bank statements are typically expected at the same time each month, so it would be reasonable not to send out an ordinary email message announcing that the most current statement is available. But overdraft notices are not expected. If the customer has to log in to get them, consider sending an ordinary email announcing that there is a message for the consumer and invite him to log in to obtain it.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett