Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Thread Options
#1734798 - 08/24/12 04:22 PM Re: Remittance Transfer Rule-Intl. Wires John Burnett
WonderWoman Offline
Diamond Poster
WonderWoman
gone fishin'
Originally Posted By: John Burnett
And this is where the definitions are your friend and you can back an examiner away from over-reaching. A "sender" is defined as a "consumer." And, in §1005.2, a "consumer" is defined as a "natural person."

& §1005.2(j) “Person” means a natural person or an organization, including a corporation, government agency, estate, trust, partnership, proprietorship, cooperative, or association.

?

Return to Top
Remittance Transfer Rule
#1734910 - 08/24/12 06:34 PM Re: Remittance Transfer Rule-Intl. Wires Kay
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
In the 1005.2(j) definition of "person," a natural person is an individual -- a human bean (yes, I know I spelled it incorrectly) and the others in the list are not natural persons -- they are entities.

And please resist the temptation to say that there are natural persons (whatever passes for normal) and unnatural persons (freak-shows).
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1736039 - 08/28/12 10:50 PM Re: Remittance Transfer Rule-Intl. Wires John Burnett
WonderWoman Offline
Diamond Poster
WonderWoman
gone fishin'

And please resist the temptation to say that there are natural persons (whatever passes for normal) and unnatural persons (freak-shows).

Well that's no fun.

So something rlcarey pointed out as well:

§1005.2(b)(3) The term does not include an account held by a financial institution under a bona fide trust agreement.

However: "The term bona fide trust agreement is not defined by the act or regulation; therefore, financial institutions must look to state or other applicable law for interpretation."

I tried searching everywhere in California law & I can't seem to find it. Help? (I'll post in the CA forum too, but it's usually crickets in there)

Return to Top
#1736242 - 08/29/12 04:24 PM Re: Remittance Transfer Rule-Intl. Wires Kay
YHWB Offline
Platinum Poster
Out there
Anyone esle listening to the Alston & Bird teleconference on this?

Return to Top
#1737264 - 08/31/12 04:54 PM Re: Remittance Transfer Rule-Intl. Wires Kay
lucyc Offline
Diamond Poster
lucyc
I just did and I fowarded the link to Senior Mgmt.

Return to Top
#1737300 - 08/31/12 05:55 PM Re: Remittance Transfer Rule-Intl. Wires Kay
mgs41 Offline
100 Club
Given the section of the staff commentary below, would it be correct that a bank would not leave safe harbor until 6 months after it performed it's 101st remittance transer? For example, if we perform a count of remittance transfers on November 1st and have only 80, and don't hit 101 until December 1st, we would have 6 months from that date?

iv. Example of safe harbor and transition period. Assume that a person provided 90 remittance transfers in 2012 and 90 such transfers in 2013. The safe harbor will apply to the person’s transfers in 2013, as well as the person’s first 100 remittance transfers in 2014. However, if the person provides a 101st transfer on September 5, the facts and circumstances determine whether the person provides remittance transfers in the normal course of business and is thus a remittance transfer provider for the 101st and any subsequent remittance transfers that it provides in 2014. Furthermore, the person would not qualify for the safe harbor described in § 1005.30(f)(2)(i) in 2015 because the person did not provide 100 or fewer remittance transfers in 2014. However, for the 101st remittance transfer provided in 2014, as well as additional remittance transfers provided thereafter in 2014 and 2015, if that person is then providing remittance transfers for a consumer in the normal course of business, the person will have a reasonable period of time, not to exceed six months, to come into compliance with subpart B. Assume that in this case, a reasonable period of time is six months. Thus, compliance with subpart B is not required for remittance transfers made on or before March 5, 2015 (i.e., six months after September 5, 2014). After March 5, 2015, the person is required to comply with subpart B if, based on the facts and circumstances, the person provides remittance transfers in the normal course of business and is thus a remittance transfer provider.

Return to Top
#1737324 - 08/31/12 06:27 PM Re: Remittance Transfer Rule-Intl. Wires Kay
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
That's correct, LVC. And if you reach 100 on 12/31/20xx, you get to start counting over on January 2 of the next year.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1737444 - 08/31/12 08:58 PM Re: Remittance Transfer Rule-Intl. Wires Kay
StevenD Offline
Gold Star
StevenD
KY
post deleted...duplicate
Last edited by StevenD; 08/31/12 08:59 PM.

Return to Top
#1737608 - 09/04/12 02:59 PM Re: Remittance Transfer Rule-Intl. Wires Kay
YVeitia Offline
How do you plan to process requests for int. outgoing wire transfers submitted by fax? Would you process them the same as phone requests? How do you plan to provide the required disclosures?

Return to Top
#1737656 - 09/04/12 04:13 PM Re: Remittance Transfer Rule-Intl. Wires Kay
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
IMHO, Fax requests should receive fax disclosures.

Return to Top
#1737784 - 09/04/12 08:27 PM Re: Remittance Transfer Rule-Intl. Wires Kay
zitch70 Offline
Gold Star
Edinburg, Texas
we no longer accept fax wire instructions. Have been burned too many times.

Return to Top
#1737832 - 09/04/12 10:29 PM Re: Remittance Transfer Rule-Intl. Wires Kay
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
I heard a law firm discussing this question (fax instructions) and agree with their assessment. There is nothing in the rule addressing fax instructions for a covered remittance transfer. They said their clients would probably pick up the phone and have the instructions recited as a phone request, so they could follow the oral disclosure (pre-purchase disclosure) and the more liberal timing requirement for the delivery of written receipt.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1737836 - 09/04/12 11:01 PM Re: Remittance Transfer Rule-Intl. Wires John Burnett
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
I heard a law firm discussing this question (fax instructions) and agree with their assessment. There is nothing in the rule addressing fax instructions for a covered remittance transfer. They said their clients would probably pick up the phone and have the instructions recited as a phone request, so they could follow the oral disclosure (pre-purchase disclosure) and the more liberal timing requirement for the delivery of written receipt.

That method they discussed did make sense.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1737860 - 09/05/12 11:51 AM Re: Remittance Transfer Rule-Intl. Wires Kay
YHWB Offline
Platinum Poster
Out there
This is a good summary of coverage from a Washington Law firm:
Scope of the Final Rule

The Final Rule applies to the vast majority of consumer-initiated electronic funds transfers that originate in the U.S. and are sent to recipients in foreign countries. The definition of “remittance transfer” may include consumer-initiated ACH and wire transactions, as well as bill pay arrangements that involve electronic transfers. It also includes the addition of funds to a prepaid card where the prepaid card is sent or was previously sent to a person in a foreign country.

Specifically, the Final Rule defines the term “remittance transfer” to mean the electronic transfer of funds requested by a “sender” to a “designated recipient” that is sent by a “remittance transfer provider.” The term “sender” is defined to mean a consumer in a state who primarily for personal, family, or household purposes requests a remittance transfer provider to send a remittance transfer to a designated recipient. The term “designated recipient” is defined to mean any person specified by the sender as the authorized recipient of a remittance transfer to be received at a location in a foreign country (and may include either a natural person or an organization). The term “remittance transfer provider” is defined to mean any person that provides remittance transfers for a consumer in the normal course of its business, regardless of whether the consumer holds an account with such person.

Comment 30(e)(3)(i) provides the following examples of “remittance transfers”:

A. Transfers where the sender provides cash or another method of payment to a money transmitter or financial institution and requests that funds be sent to a specified location or account in a foreign country.
B. Consumer wire transfers, where a financial institution executes a payment order upon a sender’s request to wire money from the sender’s account to a designated recipient.
C. An addition of funds to a prepaid card by a participant in a prepaid card program, such as a prepaid card issuer or its agent, that is directly engaged with the sender to add these funds, where the prepaid card is sent or was previously sent by a participant in the prepaid card program to a person in a foreign country, even if a person located in a State (including a sender) retains the ability to withdraw such funds.
D. D. International ACH transactions sent by the sender’s financial institution at the sender’s request.
E. Online bill payments and other electronic transfers that a sender schedules in advance, including preauthorized remittance transfers, made by the sender’s financial institution at the sender’s request to a designated recipient.

Notably, transfers under an online bill payment service may be considered “remittance transfers” under certain circumstances even when the financial institution makes a payment to the payee using a paper instrument. Comment 30(e)(1) states that while the definition of “remittance transfer” requires an electronic transfer of funds, “an electronic transfer of funds occurs for a payment made by a provider under a bill-payment service available to a consumer via computer or other electronic means, unless the terms of the bill-payment service explicitly state that all payments, or all payments to a particular payee or payees, will be solely by check, draft, or similar paper instrument drawn on the consumer’s account to be mailed abroad, and the payee or payees that will be paid in this manner are identified to the consumer. With respect to such a bill-payment service, if a provider provides a check, draft or similar paper instrument drawn on a consumer’s account to be mailed abroad for a payee that is not identified to the consumer as described above, this payment by check, draft or similar payment instrument will be an electronic transfer of funds.”

Transfers Funded in a Foreign Currency

The currency used to fund a consumer-initiated transfer to a foreign recipient will not affect whether the transfer meets the definition of a “remittance transfer.” Accordingly, a transfer that is funded and received in a foreign currency will still qualify as a “remittance transfer,” provided that the other aspects of the definition of a remittance transfer are met.

However, when a transfer is funded and received in the same currency, a remittance transfer provider is not required to disclose an exchange rate because no exchange rate will be used for the transfer. Comment 31(b)(1) states that “[a] provider need not provide the exchange rate disclosure required by § 1005.31(b)(1)(iv) if a recipient receives funds in the currency in which the remittance transfer is funded, or if funds are delivered into an account denominated in the currency in which the remittance transfer is funded. For example, if a sender in the United States sends funds from an account denominated in Euros to an account in France denominated in Euros, no exchange rate would need to be provided. Similarly, if a sender funds a remittance transfer in U.S. dollars and requests that a remittance transfer be delivered to the recipient in U.S. dollars, a provider need not disclose an exchange rate.”

Return to Top
#1738835 - 09/07/12 02:10 PM Re: Remittance Transfer Rule-Intl. Wires Kay
skauditor Offline
New Poster
My questions are on the safe harbor rule. According to the Reg:

"Under § 1005.30(f)(2)(i), a person that provided 100 or fewer remittance transfers in the previous calendar year and provides 100 or fewer remittance transfers in the current calendar year is deemed not to be providing remittance transfers in the normal course of its business. Accordingly, a person that qualifies for the safe harbor in § 1005.30(f)(2)(i) is not a “remittance transfer provider” and is not subject to the requirements of subpart B."

In reference to the "previous year" and current calendar year," which years are they referring to? Since this goes into effect in Feb 2013, is the previous year 2012 and the current year 2013, meaning that we don't start complying with this until 2014, or do we have to count 2011 as the previous year and 2012 as the current year, and start complying with the requirements in 2013 if we do not fall within the safe harbor?

Also, in counting the 100 transfers, I've gathered that they are transfers requested by a consumer, so do we just look at the account the transfer is funded from to determine if it is consumer or non-consumer? What if a consumer has a sole proprietorship and takes some money from his sole prop account and some from his personal account and wires the total to Canada? Does that count as an international transfer?

Return to Top
#1738945 - 09/07/12 03:58 PM Re: Remittance Transfer Rule-Intl. Wires Kay
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
When you wake up on the effective date of the regulation, 2/7/13, you need to know your activity for 2012 and what you've done so far in 2013. To be within the safe harbor, your count has to be 100 or less for BOTH years. So if your count for 2012 is only 50, but you hit 101 for 2013 on February 15, 2013 (busy Winter, yes?), your 6-month "transition period" runs starting 2/15/13, and you will have to start complying no later than six months later, or August 15, 2013.

Only consumer-purpose transactions initiated by an individual can be remittance transfers under the rule, so you have to determine in the best way you can whether to count a transaction or not. Using the source account as the determinant is a good idea, I think, for past transactions. Transactions from a sole proprietorship business account that's generally used for business purposes would probably not get counted, but I think you have to look at the recipient, too, in such cases. If it's a wire to a family member, I'd count it.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1739157 - 09/07/12 07:59 PM Re: Remittance Transfer Rule-Intl. Wires John Burnett
DKC Offline
New Poster
We particpated in the webinar and still had some questions as to prepaid cards, debit cards and how the change will affect them. I thought I understood if it was a closed loop and not account to account or person to person then the rule would not be applicable to those transactions. Is my understanding correct? An exception would be if the prepaid card was purchased and sent to someone outside of the country then the rule would apply? What about sole proprietorships? Are they covered as a consumer or would they not be covered under the reg?

Return to Top
#1739193 - 09/07/12 08:37 PM Re: Remittance Transfer Rule-Intl. Wires Kay
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Stored value cards: If the bank is asked to load a new prepaid card by an individual in the U.S. (or from an account in the U.S) with instructions to deliver the card to a person outside the U.S., the loading of the card is covered. If asked by an individual to loan value to a card known by the bank to be in the possession of someone outside the U.S., the transaction is covered, even if the funds can also be accessed (using a "twin" card) within the U.S. {comment 30(c)-2.iii)

A sole proprietorship can't request a remittance transfer, but the individual behind it can. In general, I think, you can say that a transfer funded from the business account would not likely be for a consumer purpose, and therefore not covered. I think I'd be comfortable using that logic when trying to count my 2012 transfers toward the safe harbor limit. But on a going forward basis, I'd have a declaration at the top of the request form (or data intake form): "Sender: Indicate whether the transfer you are requesting is ___ is not ___ primarily for personal, family or household purposes."
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1739225 - 09/07/12 10:04 PM Re: Remittance Transfer Rule-Intl. Wires John Burnett
Game On Offline
Platinum Poster
Marietta, GA
CAN WE ASSUME that the 100 remittance transfers refers to 100 transfers for a consumer? At first glance I thought that was a no brainer but I decided to ask because under 30(f)(2) "Normal course of business" they start talking about remittance transfers available to customers (rather than consumers).

(a) If we add up all FOREIGN Remittance Transfers for both consumers and businesses we will exceed 100.

(b)If we only count foreign transfers initiated by consumers during the year we will be way below the 100 remittance transfers.

Are we safe to assume (b) is what we should be counting?

(Thankfully, our online banking and ACH system does not authorize electronic transfers to go to a foreign country so we are able to simply count the foreign wires)

Return to Top
#1739253 - 09/08/12 05:57 PM Re: Remittance Transfer Rule-Intl. Wires Kay
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Here are excerpts from something I just wrote on this question:

Quote:
Definitions, definitions, definitions
Definitions can drive bankers crazy, or they can be a banker's best ally in the compliance trenches. The safe harbor provision is an example of having definitions that make compliance easier, even if drilling down through those definitions is a challenge.

Start with the phrase "remittance transfer." If you're going to have to count "remittance transfers" you first need to understand what a "remittance transfer" is. As it happens, it's defined in §1005.30(e) of the regulation: "the electronic transfer of funds requested by a sender to a designated recipient that is sent by a remittance transfer provider. The term applies regardless of whether the sender holds an account with the remittance transfer provider, and regardless of whether the transaction is also an electronic fund transfer, as defined in § 1005.3(b)."

The emphasized phrases are important in that definition because they are further defined elsewhere in the regulation. You have to understand their definitions in order to fully understand the definition of "remittance transfer."

An "electronic transfer of funds" is explained in the Official Staff Interpretations to §1005.30 to include more than the transactions covered in subsection A of the regulation. For example, wire transfers are excluded from the definition of "electronic fund transfer" in §1005.3, but they are included within the definition of "electronic transfers of funds" (notice the subtle difference in wording between the two phrases) for the purposes of subpart B.

A "sender" is defined in §1005.30(g) as "a consumer in a State who primarily for personal, family, or household purposes requests a remittance transfer provider to send a remittance transfer to a designated recipient." A "consumer" is defined in subpart A §1005.2 as a natural person (a human being, and not an organization or other entity). "State" is defined as including "any state, territory or possession of the United States; the District of Columbia; the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico; or any political subdivision [of the foregoing]."

"Designated recipient" is any person ["person" includes individuals, organizations, and other entities] "specified by the sender as the authorized recipient of a remittance transfer to be received at a location in a foreign country."

What it all means
After drilling down into the definitions far enough, we can now see both which transactions the Remittance Transfers Rule covers, and, more importantly for this discussion, which transactions have to be counted to see if a bank remains within the safe harbor. Hint: they happen to be the same types of transactions.
So, yes, you count toward the 100 the wire transfers and other types of remittance transfers handled by your bank, but only those that (1) are requested by an individual; (2) are primarily for personal, family or household purposes; (3) are originated within the U.S. and territories (or funded from an account housed there); and are sent to an account or paid to a person who is outside the U.S. and its territories.

Last edited by John Burnett; 09/08/12 05:59 PM.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1739286 - 09/10/12 11:44 AM Re: Remittance Transfer Rule-Intl. Wires John Burnett
Game On Offline
Platinum Poster
Marietta, GA
Thank you John. I hate it when I read the Final Rule summary,analysis and actual sections and think I understand it and then someone "asks if I am sure". In this case they questioned the example and some discussions early in this forum. I start questioning my interpretation so as usual I went to BOL. I appreciate the details you included- I can share that with the person that questioned the numbers we must use.

Return to Top
#1739539 - 09/10/12 07:45 PM Re: Remittance Transfer Rule-Intl. Wires Game On
markp Offline
Gold Star
New Jersey
Ok so after reading about this my head is spinning... this is what I can say, we only originate on average 2 international wires/ month for consumers and those are sent to businesses also we use an intermediate bank to process the wires but (from what I have read that does not matter, w are still responsible)? The next thing is we have not originated any IAT's all ours are coming in from outside the country to our customers. From what I can see we are under the 100 transaction threshold... I know it can't be that simple so what am I missing?

Return to Top
#1739590 - 09/10/12 08:57 PM Re: Remittance Transfer Rule-Intl. Wires Kay
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Hate to disappoint you, but it is that simple, unless you have a bill pay service that allows a consumer to send a check to a foreign address.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1739686 - 09/11/12 01:17 PM Re: Remittance Transfer Rule-Intl. Wires Kay
StevenD Offline
Gold Star
StevenD
KY
Would a "paper check" count as a "remittance transfer"???

Return to Top
#1739761 - 09/11/12 02:59 PM Re: Remittance Transfer Rule-Intl. Wires Kay
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
If that paper check is issued via a bill payment service and qualifies as an EFT under subpart A of Regulation E (See Comment 3(b)(1)-1.vi.), and if it is sent from a consumer account domiciled at a financial institution in the U.S., to a foreign address, it will be a "remittance transfer" to be counted toward the "safe harbor" limit in subpart B and, if the institution is subject to subpart B, will be subject to the disclosure, error claims and other requirements of subpart B. (see Comment 30(e)-1. on "electronic transfer of funds"}
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7