Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#175355 - 03/31/04 07:45 PM Travelocity VENT!
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Don't anyone dare tell me that I am over-reacting on this one. My fiance, son and I are booked to go to Mexico on Sunday (4/4) to an all-inclusive family resort (we didn't want to be around the drunk teenagers and college kids). I booked this trip with Travelocity about 6 weeks ago and it was paid in full on my last amex bill. All of the confirmations came back OK, I even called the resort to confirm (which they did).
Last night I received a call from Travelocity saying the resort was overbooked and they were "upgrading" us to a different resorts a short distance away. OK, fine, went on the web this mornign and checked it out. It looked lovely and yes, indeed an upgrade, and the blaring words: Children under 12 not permitted! (Son is 8 years old).
I called Travelocity and told them that it was no good, he was too young, there would be no activities (or food for that matter) for children. They said the resort made an exception...
Customer service is a myth!
Any suggestions on what to do?

Return to Top
#175356 - 03/31/04 07:49 PM Re: Travelocity VENT!
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I feel badly for you, Maria. I have no idea what to tell you to do, but I can tell you that I'll never use Travelocity.

Return to Top
#175357 - 03/31/04 07:53 PM Re: Travelocity VENT!
trinna Offline
Gold Star
trinna
Midwest
I would be worried that this "upgraded" resort might have some of those drunk teenagers you're trying to avoid since they do not permit children under 12. It certainly doesn't sound like a family resort in the least! What happens if you refuse to be "upgraded" and tell them to move someone else that maybe doesn't have children? I would be hopping mad too and definitely think you're justified in your anger.

Return to Top
#175358 - 03/31/04 09:08 PM Re: Travelocity VENT!
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
I also fear this could be a clothing optional resort... my uncle had mucht he same happen to him when he went to mexico... now granted he had no kids, but i was a eye opening to say the least. I would call back, and keep trying to talk to managers etc until you get some kind of answer you want. it's not right that your son have to sacrfice for someone elses mistake

Return to Top
#175359 - 03/31/04 09:50 PM Re: Travelocity VENT!
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
Can you call the resort directly and see if you can work something out? They confirmed with you when you called before, maybe they'd be willing to work with you. Hope it all turns out OK!

Return to Top
#175360 - 04/01/04 01:30 PM Re: Travelocity VENT!
redsfan Offline
Power Poster
redsfan
The Pennant Race
Maria, maybe you should consider filing a dispute with your credit card company. Nothing gets the attention of a vendor like charge-back.

Return to Top
#175361 - 04/01/04 03:08 PM Re: Travelocity VENT!
cshot Offline
cshot
NE
I used Travelocity to book a hotel room the night before I was to fly out. Needless to say I had to cancel my trip. I tried to get thru about 48 hrs before and kept getting kicked out of their message center because it was toooo busy. Try again later. Well eventually I had to go to bed. So I tried the next night and after being on hold for about 30 min. got thru. The operator told me I would have to pay for the room anyway because I had not cancelled within 24 hrs.
She did however give me an e-mail to dispute it. It took about 2 weeks and I was eventually only charged $25 dollars which I agreed to upon cancellation. If I would have booked direct with the hotel, it would have been $0 out of my pocket. Live and learn.

Return to Top
#175362 - 04/01/04 03:57 PM Re: Travelocity VENT!
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Thanks everyone for the ideas. I called the hotel directly yesterday to explain that there was a child (one would think that Travelocity could have done that?), and an all adult resort would not be a good idea. Now, they put us back in (hopefully some lucky honeymooners will get the upgraded resort now). I called again today and spoke with the manager of the resort (who thought I was a nutcase) who confirmed that we still had reservations.
You know, for what was supposed to be a relaxing mini vacation, this has caused me more stress than work!
I'll let you know if we had to sleep on the beach when I get back...

Return to Top
#175363 - 04/01/04 07:07 PM Re: Travelocity VENT!
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Well, I thought that I would add the clincher for your entertainment pleasure:

Travelocity just called and said they spoke with the hotel and THEY (Travelocity) fixed everything! I almost choked with laughter. Can you beat that? Some brass ones they have...

When I get back, I can't wait to write that letter...

Return to Top
#175364 - 04/02/04 01:21 AM Re: Travelocity VENT!
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Send Travelocity a bottle of water.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#175365 - 04/02/04 01:00 PM Re: Travelocity VENT!
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

Send Travelocity a bottle of water.

I think it should be unbottled Mexican water.

Return to Top
#175366 - 04/12/04 12:56 PM Re: Traveling story
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
OK, just when I thought it was safe to relax...

Our day at the airport, Sunday April 4th...

Flight to Houston from Newark, wait in domestic travel line for twenty minutes to find out that since we are connecting to a flight going to Mexico, we needed to be in the international check-in...

Get to the gate (Newark Liberty) and find out that Travelocity doesn't actually reserve seats... Get to be on standby with my nerves rattled for an hour... finally get on flight... sit back and relax...

Land in Houston, go to the gate and verify reserved seats (we learned that in Newark), and find out that my son would not be permitted into Mexico unless I have a letter from his father ... Missed flight...

Finally son's Dad faxes a letter to the airport with his authorization (which had to be notarized at 3 pm on a Sunday afternoon...). We get booked on the next flight (standby again). I still wonder why he didn't need a letter to get back in the USA...

At this point, with the nerves being a little frayed, I decided that I would go have a cigarette to calm down. So off we go on the two mile trek to the nearest smoking area. On the way back to the gate, we are handed two orange tickets and told that we were selected for a full body search (randomly selected, of course). Son watches and giggles while Mom does calisthenics for the general public.

At this point, wiht me near tears, we get through to the gate and made it through the standby, and board the plane... at last we are on our way... so we sit and relax... and sit and relax... and sit...
The pilot gets on the speaker and tells us that the mainframe computer system went down and they cannot take off until it is fixed... So our 4:15 flight takes off at 7:30...

We finally land in Mexico at 9:30 pm and we are looking for the transfer car... they do not have our names listed, so we hire a taxi (who ripped us off by charging $20 more than the way back) and finally make it to our hotel...

But, alas, the endurance test was not over... a busload of teenagers and parents, all bearing tennis rackets and tennis balls beat us to the check in... So we wait about 45 minutes to get checked in...

We finally get checked in, try to get something to eat... and we collapsed in our room.

Now I can laugh about this learning experience and everytime I think about it, I laugh more and more. Just thought I'd share some of the fun...
BTW-It was a beautiful country with beautiful scenery and people!

Return to Top
#175367 - 04/12/04 08:11 PM Re: Traveling story
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I thought I had a;ot of patience..but GEESH! I don't think I'd have ever made it..not without ending up in prison.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#175368 - 04/12/04 09:36 PM Re: Traveling story
TTC Queen Offline
Diamond Poster
Oklahoma
Wow! I am certain that you did better than I would have done, under the same circumstances.

Return to Top
#175369 - 04/12/04 10:00 PM Re: Traveling story
Cowboys Fan Offline
Power Poster
SC
Quote:

Now I can laugh about this learning experience and everytime I think about it, I laugh more and more.

You must have the patience of a saint! Is it safe to assume that you won't be the new spokesmodel for Travelocity?

Return to Top
#175370 - 04/12/04 10:04 PM Re: Traveling story
Snowqueen Offline
Diamond Poster
Snowqueen
dreaming of a warm beach......
I have been leary of some of these internet travel services and have always chose to use my local travel agent for my plans. Guess I will continue using my travel agent versus the internet.

Bummer about your trip and all the hassles.

Return to Top
#175371 - 04/13/04 12:37 PM Re: Traveling story
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

I thought I had alot of patience..but GEESH! I don't think I'd have ever made it..not without ending up in prison.

It was a close call... Remember that I was writing about something that was a week ago!

Oh and one more funny thing, the cab driver taking us back to Cancun airport, thought my fiance was Bill Gates and wanted to have his picture taken with him! LOL, we were hysterical!

Return to Top
#175372 - 04/13/04 01:34 PM Re: Traveling story
La. Lady Offline
Diamond Poster
La. Lady
You do have patience..and a sense of humor...I probably would have had the patience...but my husband would not have been so kind.......So your husband may be a saint right along with you....

Return to Top
#175373 - 04/13/04 02:17 PM Re: Traveling story
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Well, I guess being nice to the guy when he annoyed me paid off big time, huh...?!

Return to Top
#175374 - 04/14/04 12:43 AM Re: Traveling story
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
I've notarized those statements while in line at the airport more than once. Parents are NEVER told of that issue until they arrive in the airport. It's truly wrong!

The reason it's not needed to come back from Mexico is that the issue is part of the Megan's law uprising. This prevents parents from steeling their own children when they're not given custody and leaving the country as well as people who steel strangers children and try to go over the boarder. Apparently Mexico thinks they have plenty of kids and you are allowed to pick one up and bring them back whenever you'd like

I haven't had success with Travelocity at all. I never use them. I alway use Orbitz and IMMEDIATELY follow up with a call to the airport to book my seats. None of the internet services do the seating and I don't sit in the back of airplanes! (I'm a snob)

I've always gotten a better price by far from Orbitz than booking on my own or through an agent. My sweetie has the same success with them but again, he confirms his seating after he books on all flights. (He not only won't sit in the very back of the plane, he won't sit in the middle with us poor folks)

The plane stuff...all normal post 9/11 stuff Maria...welcome to my hell. I have been picked as a possible terrorist so many times I can't count. Now I just drop my bags and spread eagle against the wall waiting for the search without even asking. Sure it scares them on occasion...but it does seem to shock them out of an overly aggressive "Wanding" once in a while

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#175375 - 04/14/04 12:24 PM Re: Traveling story
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
OK, our Director of Marketing thought the story was so funny thathe wants me to write up a version for our newsletter.

Looking for a title, ANY THOUGHTS?

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett