Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1755464 - 11/06/12 04:28 PM HMDA Reportable or Not???
Linkpars Offline
100 Club
Kentucky
We have a customer who owns their home free & clear. They have decided to help their son purchase a home. So they use their home as collateral, the apprasial is on their home with no information on the home that their son is purchasing. They have just given him the money.

So they did not purchase their home, refi, and no home improvements were done. I don't think this is HMDA reportable since the purpose of the loan actually did not fall in these three catagories, just wanted a second opinion.

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#1755479 - 11/06/12 04:42 PM Re: HMDA Reportable or Not??? Linkpars
Tater Offline
Platinum Poster
Missouri
I disagree. Purpose is to purchase a home (although not theirs). Collateral is a residential dwelling, although not the dwelling being purchased. Page 28, GIR.

On page D-5 of the appendix, "a home purchase loan includes a loan secured by one dwelling and used to purchase another dwelling."

Loan Review, HMDA, ALLL

Opinions are my own and do not reflect any others

Return to Top
#1755493 - 11/06/12 04:52 PM Re: HMDA Reportable or Not??? Linkpars
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
But unless the parents will also be on the title to the son's home, your borrowers (the parents) aren't purchasing a home. What a non-borrower (the son) does with the money is irrelevant. They're giving their son a gift. I vote not reportable.

Return to Top
#1755495 - 11/06/12 04:53 PM Re: HMDA Reportable or Not??? Linkpars
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Unless the parents are actually purchasing the home themselves this would not be a home purchase loan. The proceeds of this loan are being used as a gift to the son. What he does with the gift is of no consequence for the classification of the parent's loan.

Return to Top
#1755497 - 11/06/12 04:56 PM Re: HMDA Reportable or Not??? Linkpars
Linkpars Offline
100 Club
Kentucky
The parents will not be on the title, they are only giving the money to the son. Like a gift you could say to use as he sees fit to purchase a home for himself. The parents are also not purchasing the home.

Return to Top
#1756331 - 11/08/12 01:56 PM Re: HMDA Reportable or Not??? Linkpars
Indy Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
We've had several loans like this lately and have considered them not to be HMDA-reportable, consistent with what Dan's guidance states.

Return to Top

Moderator:  SMQ, CRCM