Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1756335 - 11/08/12 02:08 PM Bank cashier's check paid twice - what can we do?
AuditorK Offline
Platinum Poster
PA
In June, we issued a cashiers check on behalf of one of our customers to pay one of his creditors. The check was presented and paid in July. Now in October, the exact same check was paid again. We are assuming the check was captured electronically (remote capture) the first time and presented, then the physical check was presented for payment the second time.

What can we do? Can we return the second one as already presented/paid or is that going to be a problem because it's a cashier's check?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#1756343 - 11/08/12 02:19 PM Re: Bank cashier's check paid twice - what can we do? AuditorK
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
You can return, but only through normal channels within your midnight deadline. You probably need to review your internal controls. Why did this check not reject when presented the second time?

Return to Top
#1756349 - 11/08/12 02:22 PM Re: Bank cashier's check paid twice - what can we do? rlcarey
AuditorK Offline
Platinum Poster
PA
I don't work with check returns, I've just been asked to research.

What are the timeframes for returning via the normal channels? If its anything less than a month, I'm afraid we are out of luck.

Return to Top
#1756466 - 11/08/12 06:06 PM Re: Bank cashier's check paid twice - what can we do? AuditorK
devsfan Offline
Diamond Poster
NYC
Midnight deadline as Randy indicated. I wonder how your system did not immediately detect a duplicated cashier's check.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett