Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#1689707 - 04/17/12 09:38 PM What does Do Not Call really mean?
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Cardholder Services

I am getting calls on my home phone again from Cardholder Services. They also call my office line and my cell on occasion. The first two are and have been on the DNC list.

Cardholder Services starts with the recorded message that this is about your credit card account - there is no problem, but this may be your last chance to lower your rate. Problem is they are not a creditor. I believe they are a sham. No matter whether you push a button per their instructions or get a person on the line, they don't accept "take me off your frickin list." Today I actually got a person who spoke English. "John" was his name. And I politely asked John for his last name and number for my FTC complaint. "John" told me "go to he77" and hung up.

I went directly to the FTC site and filled out yet another complaint. It only takes a minute. I urge you to do the same if CS calls you.

But I really wonder which is worse right now, CS who won't listen and take me off their call list, or the FTC who HAS to getting many complaints and won't listen to them?

Last edited by Andy Z; 04/17/12 09:39 PM.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1689709 - 04/17/12 09:45 PM Re: What does Do Not Call really mean? Andy_Z
GenerousLife Offline
Diamond Poster
USA
I stated filing FCC complaints recently on Card Services myself. They call my mother all the time and she does not have, nor has ever had a credit card!

I have had one or two nice telemarketers that assured me they would add my name to their internal DNC list. I've had a few that were rude. One even said something to the effect that he would make sure my number was in every rotation.

At least now they are putting a real-looking number in the Caller ID. For a long time it would be random characters. Mine are from a 206 area code.

I long for the day when my daily Justice Dept email headline is "Card Services Shut Down and Going to Prison".

Return to Top
#1689716 - 04/17/12 10:09 PM Re: What does Do Not Call really mean? Andy_Z
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
I got a call at home just yesterday with a 206 area code. I never answer my home or cell phone if I don't recognize the number. And the ones that are stupid enough to leave a message? I report those to the FTC.

Similar to a business entity with an ambiguous name like "Card Services," I remember hearing years ago about long distance companies naming themselves things like "I Don't Know" or "I Don't Care." This way, supposedly they could legally change your long distance service since those phrases are often stated by the call recipient (i.e. "Who would you like as your long distance carrier? - I Don't Care!"). I don't know (ha!) how true this is, but it is just insidious and strange enough to be possible.

Return to Top
#1689737 - 04/18/12 02:31 AM Re: What does Do Not Call really mean? Andy_Z
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Two words:

Air horn!

Return to Top
#1689759 - 04/18/12 12:38 PM Re: What does Do Not Call really mean? Andy_Z
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
i like when they get me and say they can lower my credit card payment. I explain that I have no balance but if i charge something it is paid off monthly. However, I continue, since I currently pay nothing and they promised to lower it, when would they be sending me a check...

leaves them flustered every time.

I used to be polite to these callers, as I know they have a job to perform and it is a tough market. However, since my number is also on the national DNC registry, i no longer feel the need to be polite. I just say no thank you and hang up, or else give the phone to my wife and tell her it is for her.

Return to Top
#1689760 - 04/18/12 12:40 PM Re: What does Do Not Call really mean? Andy_Z
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
I hang up on them, but my husband will chat with them for a little bit, then ask for their name, time zone and home phone number so that he can call back and interrupt their dinner. smirk

Return to Top
#1689762 - 04/18/12 12:41 PM Re: What does Do Not Call really mean? HappyGilmore
A_G Offline
10K Club
I filed a complaint with the FTC and state attorney general...

Return to Top
#1689765 - 04/18/12 12:43 PM Re: What does Do Not Call really mean? Andy_Z
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Perhaps sending this to a news organization would be in order - How the FTC isn't investigating or taking care of the DNC list.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1689769 - 04/18/12 12:46 PM Re: What does Do Not Call really mean? Andy_Z
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
I have complained on the site due to daily calls on my cellphone. The FTC is the problem.

One time I got a live person on the phone and told them to check their paycheck because if the co does not care about violating the law for DNC what would make them pay them correctly, Got a Hmmm,

CAMS

Return to Top
#1689770 - 04/18/12 12:47 PM Re: What does Do Not Call really mean? Andy_Z
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
IMHO Cardholder Services is exactly why the DNC list exists and if the FTC does their job they will be fined millions, their phone lines will be ripped from the walls and "John" will be quartered and burned at the stake. (I suppose I'm still a little miffed.)

I'll bet the worse part is the people they "help" end up with damaged credit.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#1689774 - 04/18/12 12:55 PM Re: What does Do Not Call really mean? Andy_Z
chenin Offline
Diamond Poster
chenin
I started getting these calls again, but from a 785 area code. It doesn't help to ask them to take you off the list. One guy hung up on me as soon as I asked not to be called again!

Return to Top
#1689798 - 04/18/12 01:55 PM Re: What does Do Not Call really mean? Andy_Z
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
A CU, Where Regs Don't Apply
I get tons of calls from Tacoma, WA and Gresham or Salem, OR. They're mostly political polls though, sigh. I do get cardholder services calls though. This can be confusing for our customer base, since "Card Services" is a legitimate company that we use for CC/check processing, so if a CC is flagged for potential fraud and they are trying to contact the card holder, they can get a legitimate call from this company. Then later on, they get Cardholder Services and can equate the two quite easily. We've sent out multiple pieces on this in an attempt to educate.

Return to Top
#1689805 - 04/18/12 02:07 PM Re: What does Do Not Call really mean? A_G
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Mr. A_G-DDD™

why, because she didn't stay on the phone and talk to you longer?

Return to Top
#1689812 - 04/18/12 02:13 PM Re: What does Do Not Call really mean? Andy_Z
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
If I don't recognize the phone number, or it comes across as "Unidentified" or "Private", I don't answer the call. I give that job to my answering machine.

Return to Top
#1689813 - 04/18/12 02:15 PM Re: What does Do Not Call really mean? Peepers
A_G Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Peepers
Originally Posted By: Mr. A_G-DDD™

why, because she didn't stay on the phone and talk to you longer?

mad

Return to Top
#1689850 - 04/18/12 02:53 PM Re: What does Do Not Call really mean? rainman
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
Originally Posted By: rainman
Two words:

Air horn!

This is an oldy but goody! The minor imporvement is to speak very quietly first so that "John/Hameesh" will turn up the volume on the head set first. grin

You can also learn to say "Your mother breeds with donkeys" in a number of languages..... smile
Last edited by Bankbb1; 04/18/12 02:54 PM.

Return to Top
#1689866 - 04/18/12 03:06 PM Re: What does Do Not Call really mean? Andy_Z
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
I just say no thank you and hang up, or else give the phone to my wife and tell her it is for her.

Another good entry for the "How to not make your wife happy" thread. wink

Return to Top
#1690097 - 04/18/12 07:40 PM Re: What does Do Not Call really mean? GuitarDude
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: GuitarDude
I got a call at home just yesterday with a 206 area code.

I got one just now on my cell phone.

I picked it up and started talking gibberish......no one responded.

Return to Top
#1690135 - 04/18/12 08:08 PM Re: What does Do Not Call really mean? Peepers
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Interesting article on this subject in The Record, North Jersey's largest newspaper: Robocalls

Return to Top
#1690162 - 04/18/12 08:29 PM Re: What does Do Not Call really mean? Andy_Z
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Call me a problem solver allow the recipient of the call to reverse the charges (some of us older people know about this)and let us get a fee of just $9.99. The Providers (ATT Verizon ...)can charge the caller an additional $9.99 per call.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1690393 - 04/19/12 03:27 PM Re: What does Do Not Call really mean? Andy_Z
buggs Offline
Power Poster
I love getting these calls. Who doesn't want to lower their payment or rate? But wait, there's more!

Seriously, folks, there is no law that you have to answer your phones now that we have this thing called voice mail.

Return to Top
#1690411 - 04/19/12 03:40 PM Re: What does Do Not Call really mean? buggs
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: Moondog
I love getting these calls. Who doesn't want to lower their payment or rate? But wait, there's more!

Seriously, folks, there is no law that you have to answer your phones now that we have this thing called voice mail.

How about when they text message you and you do not have unlimited text or cellphones when they eat up you mins, when you delete the msg.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1690446 - 04/19/12 04:17 PM Re: What does Do Not Call really mean? edAudit
buggs Offline
Power Poster
1. Text "STOP" back to the SMS message. If they keep sending, file a complaint with the FCC *and* file a complaint with your Representative, Senator, and state AG. (Also submit to the FTC.)

2. As far as your cell phone minutes are concerned, if you have requested them to stop, see above suggestion about where to file your complaints.

As we all know, simply filing your complaint with the regulatory agency may not get the attention you wish. Therefore, involve the politicians and give them an opporunity to serve you.

Heck, I'd even consider submitting it to the CFPB just for fun and to see what Recess Rich would do with them.
Last edited by Moondog; 04/19/12 04:17 PM. Reason: Add FTC
Return to Top
#1690449 - 04/19/12 04:20 PM Re: What does Do Not Call really mean? Andy_Z
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
1. tried did not work and charge extra mins for new text.
2. see above and entire thread
Last edited by EdAudit; 04/19/12 04:21 PM.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1690454 - 04/19/12 04:24 PM Re: What does Do Not Call really mean? Andy_Z
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
If it is not a legit service and is simply a Social Engineering call (give me your card number, etc), they change their numbers so often that the FTC can't keep up.

Reporting these calls to the FTC is akin to reporting the Nigerian Scam mailings that we receive to the local PD. It's not going to stop. Simply stay educated on what you should/should not divulge in a phone conversation.

See BB1's comment above regarding the air horn. Have fun with it.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3