Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1725262 - 07/31/12 03:03 PM CD Auto-Renew
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
All of our consumer-related CDs have an auto-renewal component. However, for some of these multi-year CDs we want to change some terms come renewal time. Therefore we don't want to send the 'standard' auto-renewal notice, but rather send a notice describing the changes to the CD upon renewal.

I'm presuming this is 'okay', since we are giving them the 10-day notice we would usually give. In addition, I'm thinking of sending a letter to them much prior to the renewal notice, letting them know what's coming.

Do we need to have the customer come in and sign a new CD or can we renew the existing one with the new terms, once they've been communicated to them?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#1725366 - 07/31/12 04:19 PM Re: CD Auto-Renew Doug Hendrickson
NLC Offline
Gold Star
Center of US
First I would send a letter 30 days ahead if the changes are negative for the consumer. Without knowing the changes you are making it would depend if you needed a new CD or not. If you have a easy way of telling which ones have the changed terms then no but it will not be easy to tell then I would have them come in and sign a new CD.

Return to Top
#1725654 - 08/01/12 12:02 AM Re: CD Auto-Renew Doug Hendrickson
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Assuming these all have maturities greater than one year, all you have to do is meet the requirements of 1030.5(b)(2). Anything more than that is either a customer service issue or driven by operational issues.

Return to Top
#1761930 - 11/28/12 09:03 PM Re: CD Auto-Renew Doug Hendrickson
Sugarbaker Offline
Gold Star
We are considering a 13 month non-renewing CD. The language in Reg DD regarding disclosure of non-renewing cds is confusing me. It states "If the account will not renew automatically, a statement of whether interest will be paid after maturity if the consumer does not renew the account must be stated." We do not plan to offer renewing this account as a option - is that a problem?

Return to Top
#1761943 - 11/28/12 09:18 PM Re: CD Auto-Renew Doug Hendrickson
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
It is not a problem, but you need to tell them whether or not you pay any interest on the account after maturity, i.e., the time between when the CD matures and the time they come in to redeem it.

Return to Top
#1761944 - 11/28/12 09:20 PM Re: CD Auto-Renew Doug Hendrickson
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Here are the model clauses:

(2) Non-Automatically Renewable Time Accounts

This account will not renew automatically at maturity. If you do not renew the account, your deposit will be placed in [an interest-bearing/a noninterest- bearing] account.

Return to Top
#1761948 - 11/28/12 09:36 PM Re: CD Auto-Renew Doug Hendrickson
Sugarbaker Offline
Gold Star
That language says "if they do not renew the account . . ." Since they can't renew the account is that a problem?

Thanks for your help Randy!
Last edited by Sugarbaker; 11/28/12 09:36 PM.
Return to Top
#1761956 - 11/28/12 09:49 PM Re: CD Auto-Renew Doug Hendrickson
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
That means if they don't come into the bank and renew it. Whether or not you offer a 13 month CD at that time is not an issue. They can come in and renew it into your then current products.

Return to Top
#1761957 - 11/28/12 09:50 PM Re: CD Auto-Renew Doug Hendrickson
Sugarbaker Offline
Gold Star
That makes sense. Thanks so much!

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett