Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1761952 - 11/28/12 09:43 PM Re: Portland, Seattle, Vancouver (Canada) Dip
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
If going anywhere near Victoria BC, check out Butchart Gardens - gorgeous!

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1762065 - 11/29/12 01:37 PM Re: Portland, Seattle, Vancouver (Canada) chenin
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Originally Posted By: chenin
There are several wineries near Seattle. We went to Chateau St. Michelle. That tour is free.

And right down the street from there is the Redhook Brewery. Tours are only $1, but you get 5 glasses of beer with that. The tour guides are invariably young and very funny, and they love to interact with the crowd. After the tour, you could eat in the restuarant. Try getting a seat outside; I've never been able to.

Return to Top
#1762067 - 11/29/12 01:46 PM Re: Portland, Seattle, Vancouver (Canada) Sinatra Fan
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Originally Posted By: Sinatra Fan
There are several wineries near Seattle. We went to Chateau St. Michelle. That tour is free.

And right down the street from there is the Redhook Brewery. Tours are only $1, but you get 5 glasses of beer with that. .

Spoken like a true Dutchman. wink

Return to Top
#1762081 - 11/29/12 02:04 PM Re: Portland, Seattle, Vancouver (Canada) Dip
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
depends on what time of the year you are going...Mt. Ranier is an awesome trip, but until the end of May, most access roads are closed. I happened to be there on a business trip and went in late May, not knowing they may not be open, the road i took in had only opened the day before. At 9:30 PM 8,000 feet up, it was still broad daylight.

I happened to arrive on a Sunday afternoon when the annual gay pride parade was taking place...many interesting sights that day.

Return to Top
#1762211 - 11/29/12 04:12 PM Re: Portland, Seattle, Vancouver (Canada) Retired DQ
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Originally Posted By: MsMisfit

And right down the street from there is the Redhook Brewery. Tours are only $1, but you get 5 glasses of beer with that. .

Spoken like a true Dutchman. wink

You got that right, honey. Now that my niece has her driver's license, we make her drive back home after the tour. Poor kid had to deal with three, uh, happy adults giving her comments about her driving.

Return to Top
#1762254 - 11/29/12 04:52 PM Re: Portland, Seattle, Vancouver (Canada) Sinatra Fan
tdogz Offline
100 Club
tdogz

And right down the street from there is the Redhook Brewery. Tours are only $1, but you get 5 glasses of beer with that. The tour guides are invariably young and very funny, and they love to interact with the crowd. After the tour, you could eat in the restuarant. Try getting a seat outside; I've never been able to.

We didn't take the tour since we used up a lot of our time with an extensive wine tasting at a winery that was nearby (no idea which one). We did stop at the Redhook Brewery restraunt though. The beer sampler and steak was the best meal I had on my trip! (though that assessment may be tinted by the wine tasting whistle)

Return to Top
#1762273 - 11/29/12 05:03 PM Re: Portland, Seattle, Vancouver (Canada) tdogz
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Love the beer sampler. My favorite is Copperhook, which is only available in the spring and summer.

Return to Top
#1762290 - 11/29/12 05:26 PM Re: Portland, Seattle, Vancouver (Canada) waldensouth
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Originally Posted By: waldensouth
Loved Portland. Take a tour. There is a castle above the town with the most beautiful rose garden I've ever seen. Cannot think of the name of that house.

I think you're talking about Pittock Mansion. But THE Rose Garden (also overlooking Portland) is actually about 5 min. driving from Pittock mansion. In August, I'd recommend both. Powell's City of Books - the name says it all.

If you like wine-tasting, head out to the Newberg/Yamhill area (about 30/40 min SW of Portland); there are some great wineries and the scenery is nice.

Portland Art Museum is actually really good (if you like museums and art).

Take a trip out to hike on some of the very accessible trails in the Columbia gorge (between 30 min/1 hour drive east of Portland). Multnomah Falls is the most breathtaking, but it's also the most heavily visted. There are some other beautiful gems along the way (Bridal Veil, Latourelle Falls, etc.).

If you're here in late August (I think the Thursday before Labor Day), the Oregon Symphony does a free concert at Waterfront Park, ending with the 1812 Overture (complete with artillery) and a big fireworks show. Bring a bottle of wine and some dinner from Elephant's deli, plop on the grass for a couple of hours and enjoy!

Return to Top
#1762309 - 11/29/12 05:37 PM Re: Portland, Seattle, Vancouver (Canada) rainman
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By: rainman
If you're here in late August (I think the Thursday before Labor Day), the Oregon Symphony does a free concert at Waterfront Park, ending with the 1812 Overture (complete with artillery) and a big fireworks show. Bring a bottle of wine and some dinner from Elephant's deli, plop on the grass for a couple of hours and enjoy!

That sounds super cool! But the whoel trip is from 8/14-8/22 so we'll miss it. Too bad.

I wanted to head East of Portland last summer and didn't, but I bet the hubby will be up for it, so we may do that. I've been to Multnomah Falls but would liek to see some of the other beautiful forest out there.

And hubs and I dont drink wink

Return to Top
#1762327 - 11/29/12 05:48 PM Re: Portland, Seattle, Vancouver (Canada) Dip
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
"And hubs and I dont drink"

You are still new to the marriage thing, you will in time. laugh

CAMS

Return to Top
#1762359 - 11/29/12 06:09 PM Re: Portland, Seattle, Vancouver (Canada) edAudit
'Lil Freak! Offline
10K Club
'Lil Freak!
The psych ward
Check out J&D's in Seattle and pick up item #2 since you're still newlyweds (...the world's first bacon-flavored personal lubricant http://www.jdfoods.net/gocrazy/ridiculous.php)

Return to Top
#1762361 - 11/29/12 06:11 PM Re: Portland, Seattle, Vancouver (Canada) edAudit
chenin Offline
Diamond Poster
chenin
Originally Posted By: EdAudit
"And hubs and I dont drink"

You are still new to the marriage thing, you will in time. laugh

laugh

Return to Top
#1762379 - 11/29/12 06:19 PM Re: Portland, Seattle, Vancouver (Canada) Dip
bOaty Offline
Power Poster
bOaty
Chillin an grillin
Powell's is great and there is a beer place a couple of doors down that has over 100 beers on tap. smile

Return to Top
#1762438 - 11/29/12 07:34 PM Re: Portland, Seattle, Vancouver (Canada) Dip
Derwood Offline
100 Club
Timberline Lodge at Mt. Hood is about an hour and half drive East of Portland. There is plenty of forest to explore there and the wildflowers should be in bloom then. You could actually loop around Mt. Hood and along the Columbia Gorge by driving through Hood River. Were a little under an hour South of Portland and spend a lot of time hiking up at Mt. Hood and in the Gorge.

Return to Top
#1762515 - 11/29/12 08:56 PM Re: Portland, Seattle, Vancouver (Canada) Dip
Bec Offline
Diamond Poster
Bec
The Great White North
I love SE Portland. Lived there for 4 years. Hawthorne District there is a cool movie theatre for cheapies...the Baghdad. Some cool places that people, including myself, seem to like to go to are the McMenamins sites, like the Kennedy School, The Edgefield in Troutdale. I used to work for McMenamins so I may be a little biased. My favorite place to walk to and relax at was Mt Tabor. Free park on an extinct volcano. Nice walk through forest and such. Nothing real crazy to do of note, but it is super chill and nice for hiking yet close to the city. Columbia River Gorge...beautiful. Mt HOod, always a blast. The beach always nice. I liked going to Oswald State Park, Short Sands...a little cove that took about a mile's easy hike to get to. Oh man, now I want to go.

Return to Top
#1762519 - 11/29/12 08:58 PM Re: Portland, Seattle, Vancouver (Canada) Dip
bOaty Offline
Power Poster
bOaty
Chillin an grillin
ME too! cry

Return to Top
#1762540 - 11/29/12 09:15 PM Re: Portland, Seattle, Vancouver (Canada) Derwood
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Originally Posted By: Derwood
Timberline Lodge at Mt. Hood is about an hour and half drive East of Portland. There is plenty of forest to explore there and the wildflowers should be in bloom then. You could actually loop around Mt. Hood and along the Columbia Gorge by driving through Hood River. Were a little under an hour South of Portland and spend a lot of time hiking up at Mt. Hood and in the Gorge.

I almost included that. Watch "The Shining" before you go to Timberline - that's where they filmed it.

Return to Top
#1762552 - 11/29/12 09:19 PM Re: Portland, Seattle, Vancouver (Canada) Dip
Bec Offline
Diamond Poster
Bec
The Great White North
I thought they filmed the Shining at the Drake Hotel in Estes Park??? Either way Timberline rules.

Return to Top
#1762557 - 11/29/12 09:26 PM Re: Portland, Seattle, Vancouver (Canada) Dip
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
I thought this was a thread about the new T-Mobile commercial. smile

Return to Top
#1762563 - 11/29/12 09:31 PM Re: Portland, Seattle, Vancouver (Canada) rainman
Bec Offline
Diamond Poster
Bec
The Great White North
Originally Posted By: rainman
Originally Posted By: Derwood

I almost included that. Watch "The Shining" before you go to Timberline - that's where they filmed it.

Ack Nevermind, I googled it and it was the Timberline. My bad

Return to Top
#1762692 - 11/30/12 01:10 PM Re: Portland, Seattle, Vancouver (Canada) Dip
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
The hotel they used for the outside shots is the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, CO. It is supposedly haunted and ghost hunting groups are there often. My husband and I hope to go to Colorado within the next couple of years and stay at the Stanley.

Return to Top
#1762879 - 11/30/12 04:47 PM Re: Portland, Seattle, Vancouver (Canada) Dip
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
From Wiki on the Stanley (yes, I'm lazy):

Quote:
Parts of the mini-series version of The Shining were filmed there, although Stanley Kubrick's cinematic version was filmed at the Timberline Lodge in Oregon and at Elstree Studios in England.

The entry on the movie has a screen shot of the hotel from the movie that is unquestionably Timberline.

Return to Top
#1762889 - 11/30/12 05:02 PM Re: Portland, Seattle, Vancouver (Canada) Dip
Snowgirl Offline
Platinum Poster
The Pittock Mansion in Portland has tours, it is a beautiful location. Also if you are going to Multnomah Falls you could also hook up with the Scenic train rides in Columbia River Gorge that climbs to the foothills of Mt Hood on the historic Mount Hood Scenic Railroads. The McMenamins establishments are all fun to visit. They are a brewery, but they take old sites and renew them. The Edgefield in Troutdale is fun to tour and they have great food. You can look up McMenamins on the internet and get a lot of information about their locations.

Return to Top
#1762934 - 11/30/12 06:09 PM Re: Portland, Seattle, Vancouver (Canada) Dip
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
McMenamins Edgefield also has good concerts in the summer.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2