Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#1762330 - 11/29/12 05:49 PM Re: Attention Tech savvy people.... swiggles
Irishguy Offline
Platinum Poster
Irishguy
Kentucky
I've heard that Windows 8 is awful so if you buy a PC based computer, you may want to buy something with Windows 7 installed instead of Windows 8.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1762331 - 11/29/12 05:49 PM Re: Attention Tech savvy people.... Matt_B
doobydoobydoo Offline
Power Poster
doobydoobydoo
Basking in the Cool Weather
Originally Posted By: Matt_B
I've owned two LeSabres and they're great for running into people/things. Just saying... whistle

Lets jot this down when Deek decides to get an age appropriate vehicle

Return to Top
#1762337 - 11/29/12 05:52 PM Re: Attention Tech savvy people.... swiggles
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
Swiggs, do you really need a laptop? My experience is they don't last as long and you can end up with battery issues. Plus, you are stuck with the little screen. The way around that is do what I did...plug a full size keyboard into the USB port and a larger monitor into the monitor port, btu then you end up with the same set up as a PC. If you dont need a portabel device, and especially if you plan to also get a tablet of some sort, then I suggest shopping around for a good deal on a PC bundle. I got an HP bundle at Best Buy two years ago for just under $700. 23" monitor and plenty of space and speed.

Return to Top
#1762339 - 11/29/12 05:52 PM Re: Attention Tech savvy people.... swiggles
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
As for tablets, ipad has more apps than kindle fire, including kindle apps for books...

Return to Top
#1762352 - 11/29/12 06:05 PM Re: Attention Tech savvy people.... Dip
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Originally Posted By: Dip
Swiggs, do you really need a laptop? My experience is they don't last as long and you can end up with battery issues. Plus, you are stuck with the little screen. The way around that is do what I did...plug a full size keyboard into the USB port and a larger monitor into the monitor port, btu then you end up with the same set up as a PC. If you dont need a portabel device, and especially if you plan to also get a tablet of some sort, then I suggest shopping around for a good deal on a PC bundle. I got an HP bundle at Best Buy two years ago for just under $700. 23" monitor and plenty of space and speed.

Actually, that was my next thought....do I really need a laptop. But I wouldn't mind going the wireless route and being able to sit on my sofa rather than being tethered to a desk. But I WOULD need the biggest-screened laptop on the market. That's why I don't want just an ipad....too little to spend much time with.

I DO intend to go to Best Buy where geeks can advise me about what to get and where I can use the geek squad if necessary.

But sooooo....if I got a new PC and a tablet, the tablet would run off a wireless unit I would buy to make that possible?

Return to Top
#1762367 - 11/29/12 06:13 PM Re: Attention Tech savvy people.... swiggles
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Your internet provider likely provides wireless modems.

Raitch...my dsl is about as slow as dialup...it won't even loan a youtube video to my satisfaction...I'd rather use my phone...that's just SAD!

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1762369 - 11/29/12 06:16 PM Re: Attention Tech savvy people.... swiggles
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
Yup. You woudl need a wireless router. You can wire your PC to it and then the tablet would be wireless. That's hwo I'm set up.

The routers are confusing to set up and there are different kinds with different speeds, btu a better one wont be any faster if you have crappy internet to start off with. Make sure you get just what you need when it comes to the router. Office Depot had one on black friday that I got for $24 but I think they run much more than that not on sale.

Return to Top
#1762370 - 11/29/12 06:17 PM Re: Attention Tech savvy people.... RR Joker
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By: RR Joker

Mine doesnt, nto when I had DSL and not now with the cable co.

Return to Top
#1762371 - 11/29/12 06:17 PM Re: Attention Tech savvy people.... swiggles
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Get a wireless keyboard and mouse, hook a computer up to your Big Screen TV. Then sit on your couch. That way the screen will be big enough for you.

Return to Top
#1762386 - 11/29/12 06:23 PM Re: Attention Tech savvy people.... DD Regs
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Originally Posted By: DD Regs
Get a wireless keyboard and mouse, hook a computer up to your Big Screen TV. Then sit on your couch. That way the screen will be big enough for you.
I don't have any sort of "modern" TV.....big screen, flat screen, etc....just have the old box style. In fact, the big one in my living room is so big and heavy that it takes three people to move it. I keep wondering when one of my televisions will break so that I can get a nice new modern TV....but alas, they all just keep chuggin' along.

Return to Top
#1762390 - 11/29/12 06:24 PM Re: Attention Tech savvy people.... swiggles
'Lil Freak! Offline
10K Club
'Lil Freak!
The psych ward
Originally Posted By: swiggles
But sooooo....if I got a new PC and a tablet, the tablet would run off a wireless unit I would buy to make that possible?

I have cable DSL. Hooked an ethernet cable from the modem to a wireless router. Hooked the ethernet cable from my PC, which isn't wireless, to one of the four ethernet ports on the wireless router. Now my PC accesses the internet like it always has, but I have WiFi throughout the house for my wireless netbook, iPod Touch, and Wii.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.j...ireless+routers
Last edited by 'Lil Freak!; 11/29/12 06:25 PM. Reason: added link to router I got--was on sale $20 off Sunday

Return to Top
#1762391 - 11/29/12 06:30 PM Re: Attention Tech savvy people.... RR Joker
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK

Raitch...my dsl is about as slow as dialup...it won't even loan a youtube video to my satisfaction...I'd rather use my phone...that's just SAD!

Yes, trying to watch anything on YouTube at home is an exercise in comedy on my home computer.

Return to Top
#1762401 - 11/29/12 06:52 PM Re: Attention Tech savvy people.... swiggles
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
I don't know what phone service you have. I have Verizon and they have plans for wireless internet for both your smart phone and tablet. I purchased a new laptop last year - its an HP bought it from Office Depot. Its designed for media and is very fast when combined with my 4G wireless. I use it for streaming Netflix, email, internet etc... My keyboard is very nice as it the screen - it is a larger screen for a laptop.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1762425 - 11/29/12 07:21 PM Re: Attention Tech savvy people.... swiggles
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
That's an idea...might check with Verizon which is also my phone service provider. But my phone is already around $100 per month....don't wanna add to it!!

Return to Top
#1762428 - 11/29/12 07:25 PM Re: Attention Tech savvy people.... swiggles
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Get ready to get your feelings hurt then!

Return to Top
#1762436 - 11/29/12 07:32 PM Re: Attention Tech savvy people.... swiggles
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
Originally Posted By: swiggles

Sooooo....I want to replace the home computer with a good-size laptop. I don't want to spend a bunch of money, but I want plenty of memory and speed (does speed have to do with the computer or my Internet provider?...which is DSL).

I don't understand how an ipad or kindle works. Do you have to be in a Wi-fi area?

For the things you want to do, you do not need a lot of processor speed. So you can buy a fairly inexpensive laptop. We have a Samsung. My wife liked it because it is the color of red wine. I wish the screen had better color for looking at our photos, but otherwise it's fine. But, honestly, most of the laptops you see are going to have very similar stuff inside.

Since you don't need power, don't get talked into a high end processor. It will cost more money and create more heat. (A number of years ago, some Toshiba models could cause burns.)
The Intel processors now come as i3, i5 and i7. Stick with an i3. It will do everything you need.

For surfing the web, as you have surmised, it's the speed of your connection that makes the difference. DSL normally is pretty fast for household use. I have AT&T DSL, and I have little trouble with online gaming and no problem with youtube or any other streaming video on my desktop PC.

When selecting a wireless router for your home, consider how big the house is. My router is in basement office on the west wall of the house. Two bedrooms are upstairs on the east wall. So I have to have a router that can cover that distance.

You cannot use a kindle, iPad or other tablet at work to access the internet unless you have wifi at work, or if your device has the ability to connect to a 4G network. But you can read books already stored on your device.

Return to Top
#1762437 - 11/29/12 07:34 PM Re: Attention Tech savvy people.... MyBrainHurts
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Quote:
I have AT&T DSL,

This is what I have and it BITES! mad

Return to Top
#1762447 - 11/29/12 07:38 PM Re: Attention Tech savvy people.... swiggles
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
Mine just nibbles a bit.

Someone mentioned Windows 8. It's really meant for touchscreen devices, and I haven't heard anything good about it at all.

Return to Top
#1762470 - 11/29/12 07:55 PM Re: Attention Tech savvy people.... MyBrainHurts
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: MyBrainHurts
Mine just nibbles a bit.

Someone mentioned Windows 8. It's really meant for touchscreen devices, and I haven't heard anything good about it at all.

it is not vista laugh

CAMS

Return to Top
#1762475 - 11/29/12 08:08 PM Re: Attention Tech savvy people.... RR Joker
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Quote:
I have AT&T DSL,

This is what I have and it BITES! mad

AMEN!

Return to Top
#1762478 - 11/29/12 08:19 PM Re: Attention Tech savvy people.... manimal
A_G Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: manimal
Originally Posted By: hockeyseasonyet?
(android doesnt sync with itunes well..so i have heard, dont kill me if i am wrong)

You can't put the iTunes app on your android, but you can load the song files onto your phone/tablet via a USB and there are other music apps available that will play them.

cool

Return to Top
#1762592 - 11/29/12 10:01 PM Re: Attention Tech savvy people.... swiggles
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
I have the MiFi from Verizon for wireless anywhere I go. But you can make your smart phone a wireless hub thru Verizon - $20 per month I believe. My Sister uses that all the time.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1763010 - 11/30/12 07:48 PM Re: Attention Tech savvy people.... swiggles
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Swiggles, I recommend that get an HP laptop and a Samsung tablet (Android). If you want to access the internet at work, then you'll need a tablet that provides access to a cellular service plan.

If you decide on Apple, look at a MacBook Air and an iPad or iPad Mini. Same thing about cellular for the iPads if you need to access websites at work during lunch.

Return to Top
#1763016 - 11/30/12 07:52 PM Re: Attention Tech savvy people.... buggs
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: Moondog
Swiggles, I recommend that get an HP laptop and a Samsung tablet (Android).

shocked

CAMS

Return to Top
#1763109 - 11/30/12 09:43 PM Re: Attention Tech savvy people.... swiggles
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Eddie, she said she wanted something less expensive. I think my suggestions are good options for her based on her requirements.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3