Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1763642 - 12/04/12 04:27 PM LLC, Sole Proprietorship CTR question
CompliKat Offline
CompliKat
I have a customer (CTR required) with an account XYZ LLC. IRS documents state XYZ LLC Susie Q Sole Member.... naturally XYZ has an EIN. I am thinking that because Susie Q is the sole member that she is a sole proprietorship and her SSN should be used for the CTR. For some reason the LLC is throwing me off. I know this is basic, but I need reassurance or correction from sage peergroup here at BOL!

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1763646 - 12/04/12 04:29 PM Re: LLC, Sole Proprietorship CTR question CompliKat
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I am thinking that because Susie Q is the sole member that she is a sole proprietorship.

For tax reporting, the sole member LLC can be a disregarded entity. For CTR reporting, it is not.

Return to Top
#1763651 - 12/04/12 04:40 PM Re: LLC, Sole Proprietorship CTR question CompliKat
CompliKat Offline
CompliKat
Thank you rlcarey, so are you saying to treat the LLC as an entity and use the EIN on the CTR?

Return to Top
#1763663 - 12/04/12 04:53 PM Re: LLC, Sole Proprietorship CTR question CompliKat
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Yes. The LLC is not a sole proprietorship. The IRS's rules on tax treatment and assignment of TINs is irrelevant to the question of ownership of the account. It's owned by an entity, and you have to report it that way.

If the LLC were using an SSN as its TIN, you'd run into filing challenges. But using its EIN avoids those problems.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1763687 - 12/04/12 05:21 PM Re: LLC, Sole Proprietorship CTR question CompliKat
CompliKat Offline
CompliKat
Ok thanks.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z