Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#176391 - 04/02/04 06:09 PM Possibility of Postponing Check21?
Coffee Roaster Offline
100 Club
Southeast Michigan
Our CEO just paid me a visit and sad that he saw an article in The American Banker about the possibility of postponing the Check 21 implementation date. He indicated it was because of the concern over image quality. Anyone else hear or read anything about this? (Or is this just wishful thinking by a few bankers?)

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#176392 - 04/02/04 06:25 PM Re: Possibility of Postponing Check21?
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I had read a similar article on image quality (I can't remember where), but it didn't mention anything about postponement, it was merely an argument over B&W vs. grayscale...

Return to Top
#176393 - 04/02/04 06:37 PM Re: Possibility of Postponing Check21?
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
A postponement would be wonderful!

Return to Top
#176394 - 04/02/04 06:56 PM Re: Possibility of Postponing Check21?
Andy_Z Online
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#176395 - 04/02/04 06:58 PM Re: Possibility of Postponing Check21?
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Hey Andy:

Return to Top
#176396 - 04/02/04 07:08 PM Re: Possibility of Postponing Check21?
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Those who are able to read the American Banker article at the other end of Andy's link will note that the words "delay" and "postpone" appear nowhere in the article.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#176397 - 04/02/04 07:52 PM Re: Possibility of Postponing Check21?
Wore Out Offline
Platinum Poster
Wore Out
Kentucky
I attended a seminar a few weeks ago put on by ICI and the speaker indicated the rumor too that Check 21 maybe pushed back to 2Q or 3Q 2005.

Return to Top
#176398 - 04/02/04 10:03 PM Re: Possibility of Postponing Check21?
Andy_Z Online
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
While I have read many questions on Check21, I haven't heard of tech problems making the due date unachievable. Are banks having problems with the tech side of this or would some other issue be the concern, if it is in fact being considered to be pushed back?
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#176399 - 04/02/04 10:11 PM Re: Possibility of Postponing Check21?
Anonymous
Unregistered

It seemed to me that ICI's opinion was one of a tech nature, especially for small communtity and rural area banks. They didn't offer any statistics.

Return to Top
#176400 - 04/03/04 12:48 AM Re: Possibility of Postponing Check21?
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
There is a rumor. However, the three Fed people I have presented with in the last 30 days all indicated there is no substance to it. In each case, their instant observation was that bankers have gotten accustomed to delays in effective dates in recent years, so it is wishful thinking that this one might be delayed as well. All asserted that the Fed will be ready. (By the way, the Fed was expecting to have much more time to pull this together when they initiated the legislative process.)

However, in response to a private question from me, they also agreed that it may not even be within the Federal Reserve's power to delay the effective date. Whether the Fed is ready or not, some of the big guys will be and preventing them from going forward would be hard to rationalize. Any bank with image quality problems that flips the switch without resolving them would be assuming enormous risks - self restraint may be the most likely cause of delayed entry into the world of sending image cash letters.

As a practical matter Check 21 has little effect on small community and rural banks other than the fact that they are the ones who are most likely to receive substitute checks. I cannot imagine a rationale that could conclude it will be delayed because of them.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett