Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1763847 - 12/04/12 09:53 PM How does FEMA define carport?
Myra18 Offline
100 Club
Our collateral contains a carport with three rigid walls that appear to be attached to a concrete pad. Our lender was kind enough to put in the file a copy of pages from the Flood Insurance Manual that states that carports are now excluded from coverage. The structure we have appears to meet FEMA's definition of an insurable structure. Does anyone know if FEMA defines carport? I have not been able to find it.

Return to Top
Flood Compliance
#1763854 - 12/04/12 10:09 PM Re: How does FEMA define carport? Myra18
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
I have not seen a definition of carport issued by FEMA. However, if it does not have at least two rigid walls and a roof, it isn't an insurable structure. So an open-sided carport would be excluded, while a carport such as you have (assuming it has a roof with the three rigid walls) sounds like it is insurable.

Return to Top
#1763921 - 12/05/12 01:50 PM Re: How does FEMA define carport? Myra18
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I agree. Typically, a 'carport' is open, whereas a 'garage' has walls. Both are intended to house cars. wink

I would call what you have described a garage, before I would call it a carport.

Here is a decent comparison of the two structures.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1763975 - 12/05/12 03:14 PM Re: How does FEMA define carport? Myra18
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Our collateral contains a carport with three rigid walls that appear to be attached to a concrete pad.

If as Doug stated the structure has a roof it meets the definition of a building and if located in a SFHA must be separately insured; unless it may qualify as a detached garage and fall under the 10% coverage umbrella of the general policy.

Return to Top
#1764111 - 12/05/12 06:01 PM Re: How does FEMA define carport? Myra18
Myra18 Offline
100 Club
It does have a roof. Thanks everyone!

Return to Top