Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1761967 - 11/28/12 10:02 PM E-mail Encryption Suggestions
jnichols7 Offline
New Poster
I am currently shopping around for e-mail encryption services for my Bank, and I'd like to hear any and all suggestions from others. We have approximately 125 users and want to keep costs as low as possible. We maintain our e-mail exchange server in-house, so either in-house or hosted will work for us.

Fire away, guys. I appreciate the help.

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#1763680 - 12/04/12 05:14 PM Re: E-mail Encryption Suggestions jnichols7
JamesH Offline
Look at cisco ironport email security appliance. Zix is a great solution but very expensive. Also, look at Volt Security (email security). I hope that helps.

James

Return to Top
#1764727 - 12/06/12 07:08 PM Re: E-mail Encryption Suggestions jnichols7
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Not a direct reply, but a concern. I absolutely hate it when I get a new message from a banker I do not know, and I am requested to go to their site, register, get logon credentials, and then be able to read a request for assistance - all done on my time and expense.

This can be a good way for hackers to get malware distributed, especially when the message is received out of the blue. I hope that doesn't happen in your case.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#1765503 - 12/10/12 03:02 PM Re: E-mail Encryption Suggestions jnichols7
tdogz Offline
100 Club
tdogz
We use Perimeter. It works great for our needs (<100 employees).

I also share Andy's concerns about unsolicited secure emails. I never send one unless I have informed the other party about how I'll be sending their information & what they'll need to do when they receive the message (create/log in to an account on a website).

Return to Top
#1765643 - 12/10/12 07:53 PM Re: E-mail Encryption Suggestions jnichols7
amcmurtry Offline
New Poster
Tennessee
Would using Winzip (or any other program) to zip and encrypt the file with a password not be sufficient? I ask only b/c we have had complaints about the process mentioned by Andy.

Return to Top
#1765960 - 12/11/12 04:47 PM Re: E-mail Encryption Suggestions jnichols7
tdogz Offline
100 Club
tdogz
I would say that WinZip would have to be evaluated by IT to see if it fits within your institutions security policies. Information on Winzip's encryption can be found here: http://kb.winzip.com/kb/13/
I wouldn't, however rely totally on WinZip (or similar). The difference is that you aren't actually encrypting the email message, just the attachment. It wouldn't be usefully for just sending a quick loan payoff or listing a few recent debit card transactions. Also, you will have to find a way to communicate each file's password to the recipient in a secure manner. With the secure systems mentioned above, the recipient creates and manages their own password.

Return to Top
#1766422 - 12/12/12 01:59 PM Re: E-mail Encryption Suggestions jnichols7
Banker Offline
100 Club
Southeastern US
We use Zixmail. I am not an IT person and was not involved in the decision making to use that product. But, I am told by our IT people that it is cheaper. We have to manually click to "encrypt and send" an email. If we do not, the email sent is not encrypted. So, our policy is to encrypt anything that is sent to an email address outside of the bank. Anyway, I hear that this type of product as opposed to the kind that automatically encrypts all email sent is cheaper. But, it also leaves room for error--so it is a risk evaluation.

Return to Top
#1767952 - 12/17/12 06:15 PM Re: E-mail Encryption Suggestions jnichols7
jnichols7 Offline
New Poster
Just to update my own question:

We chose Echoworx for our encryption provider. Echoworx offered a cheaper price with all of the features that we were looking for, such as "Encrypt" button implemented in Outlook, customization of web portal and e-mail message, direct encrypted message link for customers on our webpage.

We have just begun the implementation process, and it appears that it will be a quick and easy process that is well organized by Echoworx's team. So far, I am very pleased with my choice.

Hope this helps.

Return to Top
#1768948 - 12/19/12 06:59 PM Re: E-mail Encryption Suggestions jnichols7
Echoworx Offline
New Poster
Thanks Jason, if anyone would like to learn more about Echoworx feel free to PM me with any questions you may have.

Will
Last edited by Echoworx; 12/19/12 07:00 PM.
Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z