BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#176719 - 04/05/04 04:36 PM Arthritis
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Sorry guys, but I just need to vent a little bit. I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis when I was 30 years old. I have flare-ups occasionally and take medication daily (Celebrex). I recently switched doctors due to location. This morning, during my visit, he told me that since the rheumatoid factor is now in my blood that that generally doesn't have a good prognosis.

I've been feeling great. Some minor problems after mowing my yard, but nothing I can't handle. Now I'm depressed. I'm not quite 43 years old and concerned that some day (hopefully a long, long time from now) I won't be able to walk like I enjoy, do yardwork, cook, etc. Anything with repetitive motion can cause inflammation.

Thanks for listening. I'm just bummed out and I'm usually not this way about it.

Return to Top
#176720 - 04/05/04 04:47 PM Re: Arthritis
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
Skittles,
I'm sorry about the doc visit, my best friend was diagnosed with the same thing at 21, (now 28) she has had a rough go of it, for a long time she had to walk with a cane. but she went on an investigational med (injections) as well as a cocktail of others and has been doing great! I mean she still has to walk a little slower (she has almost no cartilage left in her knees) but other than that she does well. This investigational med just got FDA approval and should be available through docs very very soon. I can PM you more info if you want. I have watched my best friend struggle with this for what seems like a long time, and it's hard... But there are lots of new options to help! Keep in good spirts and i'll say a prayer for you too!

Return to Top
#176721 - 04/05/04 06:35 PM Re: Arthritis
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
I'm sorry Skittles. That is a bummer. I'll be praying for you also!

Return to Top
#176722 - 04/05/04 06:59 PM Re: Arthritis
La. Lady Offline
Diamond Poster
La. Lady
Sorry to hear that Skittles. Keep your chin up. Attitude plays a big role in how a person feels. Yours seems to be great!

I hope that things are ok for a very long time.

Return to Top
#176723 - 04/05/04 07:10 PM Re: Arthritis
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Thanks. Generally it is where this is concerned. It's just that this morning's visit seemed to be a slap in the face. I wonder what I'll be like when I'm 50, 60 or 70.

Thanks for your words, too, Skye. Luckily (knock wood) I've not had any severe problems. My husband and I still do some hiking and I have never let this 'not' let me do something.

Return to Top
#176724 - 04/05/04 08:38 PM Re: Arthritis
MISS VIDA BOEM Offline
100 Club
MISS VIDA BOEM
SoCalifornia
Skittles, I too have been diagnosed with RA. I am sorry, but the first thing I think that I would do is dump the MD. RA is painful enough wihtout dealiing with an MD that is so negative. There are plenty out there with more positive attitudes. Sorry.

Return to Top
#176725 - 04/05/04 08:54 PM Re: Arthritis
KK Offline
100 Club
KK
Southern California
My Mom has suffered from RA for 30 years. For awhile there she was on every experimental drug that came out. She was very bad about four years ago, but started receiving infusions of a new drug and she can get around better than she has in many, many years. I know some doctors recommend some dietary changes, perhaps you could check that out as well? I highly recommend finding a doctor who is positive and monitors you regularly.

Return to Top
#176726 - 04/06/04 03:45 PM Re: Arthritis
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
Keep your chin up. The doctor may be wrong. My wife has RA and sauriaric (sp?). She was in a wheelchair for most of her teen years. It went into remission and she is fine now. She still gets flare ups but not like she did. One good thing is she is more accurate than any weather person.

Return to Top
#176727 - 04/07/04 01:19 AM Re: Arthritis
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Skittles, I'm sorry to hear you're dealing with this! My step mother has RA and has been through many difficulties in trying to find the answer. She went through hard times for a few years in her 30's but then found a fabulous doctor who provided her with the solution necessary to help slow the progression of the disease. She actually is a much healthier person now than she was before diagnosis.

Follow the one best piece of advice you've gotten here! Find a doctor who supports you, even when they're giving you hard news. You want to stay healthy til you're 190! Spending time finding the doctor that has that same goal will be worth the struggles you have with the doctors who aren't there for you.

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#176728 - 04/12/04 01:52 PM Re: Arthritis
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Skittles, I wish you the very best. With all of the medical advancements in this world, maybe there will be a cure soon for all who suffer.

Return to Top
#176729 - 04/12/04 02:20 PM Re: Arthritis
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Again - thanks to everyone. I honestly don't feel like I 'suffer' much. There are so many who are worse than I am. I have, knock wood, mostly good (or great) days, but sometimes not so good. I know it's not life threatening and I will manage. I just get so frustrated at times.

Return to Top
#176730 - 04/12/04 02:49 PM Re: Arthritis
sue's mom Offline
Gold Star
sue's mom
IL
Skittles, you will be in my prayers. I echo the previous comments about maintaining an 'up attitude' and finding a doctors who will work with you.

Return to Top
#176731 - 04/12/04 05:21 PM Re: Arthritis
cbu3 Offline
Gold Star
CA
Skittles, my prayers are with you! Your attitude does play a tremendous part, and you sound like you are on the right track!

To give you a little background, my husband has severe RA, caused by another condition. He was diagnosed with it when he was 19, which was 22 years ago. Since his diagnosis, he has been on just about every RA medication, most of which he has caused a negative reaction. However, although he has bad days, he has learned to manage his disease. He works for himself (fortunately), so if he is having "a bad day" he can take things a bit easier.

Some things that have helped him:
1) maintain a routine schedule
2) move around, even if you don't feel like it
3) don't overdo - this is tough, because what is just right one day may be too much the next, and not enough the next day
4) take your meds at the same time every day
5) you may find that some food irritate your arthritis - keep a food/beverage diary for a month, that indicates what you consumed at what time of day, and how you were feeling. Examine it for patterns - you may be surprised what you find.
6) be proactive - do research for yourself. There are a number of great resources on the internet, including the Arthritis Foundation, and you may find something that works for you
7) don't give up, don't ever give up! Find what works for you, and stick with it! Encouragingly, there are lots of new treatments coming that are currently being tested or are about to go into the testing stage!

It is also important that you like your doctor and can be a partner to her/him - it is your health, after all! I don't know that I would consider that your doctor's information an example of the doctor being negative - to me, it would depend on how she/he said it. Personally, I'd rather have all of the information so I can deal with it.

Please feel free to e-mail me privately should you wish to do so!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett