Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Thread Options
#1768205 - 12/18/12 03:45 PM Re: CT prayers are with you! NotDoneYet
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Heard two interesting comments yesterday with regard to what can be done to deter incidents like this.

First one hit home hard...'you can't control crazy.'
My response is 'maybe not. But we need to take mental illness out of the closet so persons affected and their parents and caregivers can get the help they need.

Second was a comment on how to guard against someone coming into a school again. Air Marshalls have been a good deterent. Why not have School Marshalls? Not cops patroling as many schools already have. But rather school personnel trained and armed and known only to the police.

Just thoughts I'm sharing now that we seem to have moved to discussions beyond all of our intial shock and sorrow.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1768218 - 12/18/12 03:53 PM Re: CT prayers are with you! NotDoneYet
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
Somewhere I saw a suggestion that policemen out on patrol should park in school parking lots whenever they have to sit and do paperwork. I liked that idea.

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1768234 - 12/18/12 04:08 PM Re: CT prayers are with you! NotDoneYet
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
Where we live, unfortunately, that would not work. We are a large township, but with a smaller population, so we don't have a large police force. Neighboring townships don't even have police forces and depend on the State Police, who are already over worked. frown

Return to Top
#1768294 - 12/18/12 05:26 PM Re: CT prayers are with you! NotDoneYet
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Hence the idea that school marshalls should be in every school.
Anonymous personnel trained to protect the children with force if necessary.

Return to Top
#1768296 - 12/18/12 05:31 PM Re: CT prayers are with you! NotDoneYet
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
If your school district can afford that, go for it. Our school district can't.

Return to Top
#1768308 - 12/18/12 05:50 PM Re: CT prayers are with you! Snow Bunny
Bankster Offline
Diamond Poster
Yinzerville, PA
It does seem that this sort of thing rarely happens in inner city schools where they have metal detectors at the doors, and armed security on the premisis. I would be all for an armed person in my children's school.

A good friend of mine has a teen-aged step-son with Asperger's. The kid has given him so much trouble and grief, and while they do what they can, including rarely leaving him alone, they can only do so much.

Return to Top
#1768312 - 12/18/12 05:53 PM Re: CT prayers are with you! NotDoneYet
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
I think a ban on assault weapons is a most logical first step. Really have no idea why it would take these sorts of incidents to bring it up; i've never understood why anyone short of the police or the army would have a legitimate need for them.

Return to Top
#1768314 - 12/18/12 05:54 PM Re: CT prayers are with you! NotDoneYet
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
They have said that people with Asperger's do not tend to be violent. They said he also had a secondary condition, but did not specify what that was.

Return to Top
#1768325 - 12/18/12 06:00 PM Re: CT prayers are with you! NotDoneYet
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
The reports now coming out about the mother are not pretty:

Mother was a "survivalist"

I did read other reports where the mom taught her sons how to shoot with deadly accuracy. She knew her son had issues, and she taught him how to kill and kept guns where he had access. She was the first to pay for her folly. Too bad so many other families had to pay for hers as well.

I have to tell you when ever I have a conversation with someone who is convinced the world will fall into collapse and we had all better arm ourselves and prepare for the worst, I walk away thinking "I am more afraid of you than of anything else."

Return to Top
#1768327 - 12/18/12 06:01 PM Re: CT prayers are with you! NotDoneYet
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
A CU, Where Regs Don't Apply
A good friend of mine posted this yesterday on Facebook, she is the parent of two children with different disorders. I thought she put it very well in that Asperger's is not the villain or the excuse anyone should latch onto here.

Quote:
In light of the news playing up the fact that Adam Lanza had Asperger's as the reason he caused this heinous tragedy, I feel the strong need to speak up for all spectrum disorders. Asperger's is an ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). It affects one's ability to appropriately identify, socialize or communicate in what people see as a "typical" way. it is NOT, in any way, a mental illness and does not cause sociopathic tendencies. It does not suppress human emotions, nor does it lower the level of conscience in an individual. It simply does not cause a person to be homicidal or capable of these behaviors. This boy may have had Asperger's, but he clearly was sociopathic, or some other severe mental illness, lacking empathy, conscience and a value for human life. The news is latching on to Asperger's and using it as their crutch because it's an easy answer for his behaviors, and everyone wants to understand WHY. The point is, we, as caring individuals, will never understand why because we are not sociopaths. But PLENTY of your friends, family, co-workers, neighbors, etc have Asperger's, I guarantee it, and they are just as baffled by this behavior and are in NO way prone to such violence. Please remember that and do not think Asperger's is a violent mental illness, or had a place in this tragedy. I hope this helps you to understand a little bit. As an advocate for autism spectrum disorders, this sort of press is devastating to the large amount of functioning people with ASD that we all know, love and work with every day, whether you know it or not.

Return to Top
#1768335 - 12/18/12 06:07 PM Re: CT prayers are with you! NotDoneYet
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
Reports I have seen have stressed that Asperger's does not lend itself to violence. They also said that he had a secondary condition but did not specify what it was.

Neighbors have said the mother was very controlling and strict. That may have more to do with it than anything.

Return to Top
#1768344 - 12/18/12 06:10 PM Re: CT prayers are with you! NotDoneYet
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
I agree that Asperger's by itself would probably not cause someone to act in this manner. I really believe now that the Mom was the catalyst here.

I still remember the conversation I had with a lady at work - this took place around late November 1999 and she asked me if I was ready for Y2K. I told my reports and plans were all submitted to the Y2K Committee, and she told me "Oh no, I mean personally. Are you prepared? Because Clinton is going to use Y2K as an excuse to impose martial law and take away all of our civil liberties including our guns. So you need to stock up and be prepared to go to the desert in order to fight the federal armies."

Um..., yeah. I just sort of mumbled something and backed away, very slowly.

I don't mean to take away from the tragedy, I am just hoping we don't have more of these.

Return to Top
#1768365 - 12/18/12 06:24 PM Re: CT prayers are with you! Princess Romeo
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: Princess Romeo
The reports now coming out about the mother are not pretty:

Mother was a "survivalist"

I did read other reports where the mom taught her sons how to shoot with deadly accuracy. She knew her son had issues, and she taught him how to kill and kept guns where he had access. She was the first to pay for her folly. Too bad so many other families had to pay for hers as well.

I have to tell you when ever I have a conversation with someone who is convinced the world will fall into collapse and we had all better arm ourselves and prepare for the worst, I walk away thinking "I am more afraid of you than of anything else."

I will agree with the last statement.

I find it strange that this is being reported in many foriegn news outlets and not the US Media.

There is a lot of misinformation out there, who know what is true.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1768398 - 12/18/12 06:46 PM Re: CT prayers are with you! NotDoneYet
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
The mom may have made many errors in judgement, but where was the father and older brother through the years. They seem to have fled the scene, sending back lots of cash, but not much else.

Return to Top
#1768403 - 12/18/12 06:50 PM Re: CT prayers are with you! edAudit
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Originally Posted By: EdAudit

I find it strange that this is being reported in many foriegn news outlets and not the US Media.

Here's another article in the New York Magazine:
Lanza's Mother was avid gun collector

Return to Top
#1768410 - 12/18/12 06:56 PM Re: CT prayers are with you! manimal
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Originally Posted By: manimal
Somewhere I saw a suggestion that policemen out on patrol should park in school parking lots whenever they have to sit and do paperwork. I liked that idea.
My former bank paid to have police cars not in use, parked in the parking lot...as though a cop might be inside.

I always had a level of comfort when my neighbor was a police officer. His cruiser was always parked right out front at night.

Return to Top
#1768413 - 12/18/12 06:59 PM Re: CT prayers are with you! Snow Bunny
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Originally Posted By: Clarice
If your school district can afford that, go for it. Our school district can't.
Our police force has a number of policemen that are dedicated to schools only. They drive similar patrol cars, but the cars have the school district name above the word "police." Don't know if the school district or the tax payers pay for this.

Return to Top
#1768419 - 12/18/12 07:04 PM Re: CT prayers are with you! NotDoneYet
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
Swiggles, around here, if the district is paying for it, so are the tax payers frown Same with the police.

Return to Top
#1768423 - 12/18/12 07:09 PM Re: CT prayers are with you! raitchjay
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Originally Posted By: raitchjay
I think a ban on assault weapons is a most logical first step. Really have no idea why it would take these sorts of incidents to bring it up; i've never understood why anyone short of the police or the army would have a legitimate need for them.
According to ABC News this morning....statistics prove that banning assault weapons decreases the number of deaths and number of incidents like this. A mentally ill person might still try to kill people with a gun but can't walk in and spray the room with a rapid fire weapon.

Return to Top
#1768424 - 12/18/12 07:09 PM Re: CT prayers are with you! Snow Bunny
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Originally Posted By: Clarice
Swiggles, around here, if the district is paying for it, so are the tax payers frown Same with the police.

Well...duh....yes. That is correct....didn't think before I wrote.

Return to Top
#1768433 - 12/18/12 07:27 PM Re: CT prayers are with you! Princess Romeo
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: Princess Romeo
Originally Posted By: EdAudit

Here's another article in the New York Magazine:
Lanza's Mother was avid gun collector

If she was an avid gun collector why did she only have 5 guns?

This was the only number of guns that were given.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1768438 - 12/18/12 07:29 PM Re: CT prayers are with you! Truffle Royale
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
Originally Posted By: Truffle Royale
Second was a comment on how to guard against someone coming into a school again. Air Marshalls have been a good deterent. Why not have School Marshalls? Not cops patroling as many schools already have. But rather school personnel trained and armed and known only to the police..

That is a great idea in my opinion!

I also agree that assault weapons should be controlled. I am an avid hunter, and I have a permit to carry a concealed weapon in my state. I am also a professional banker and a female. I do not have any assault weapons, personal protection weapons do not have the same impact as assault weapons, nobody needs them for hunting or for personal protection.

Return to Top
#1768440 - 12/18/12 07:29 PM Re: CT prayers are with you! NotDoneYet
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
http://www.politico.com/story/2012/12/adam-lanzas-mother-kept-trials-of-home-life-hidden-85170.html

I read that she had taught him how to shoot in order to teach him responsibility. Ummm, why couldn't she just get him a dog?

Return to Top
#1768445 - 12/18/12 07:32 PM Re: CT prayers are with you! Beagles22
A_G Offline
10K Club
Yes, but a school is not like a one-shot ride airplane full of total strangers...they would have to constantly rotate the marshal or I'm thinking the students/teachers would easily figure it out.

Return to Top
#1768452 - 12/18/12 07:38 PM Re: CT prayers are with you! NotDoneYet
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
could they start with better locks and doors on the school?

CAMS

Return to Top
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8