Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1768777 - 12/19/12 03:12 PM I am confusing myself on Reg CC exception hold
Banker Offline
100 Club
Southeastern US
If we have a new account holder who makes a deposit that is less than $5,000 and the check is out of state, what is the maximum time period that we can hold?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#1768781 - 12/19/12 03:15 PM Re: I am confusing myself on Reg CC exception hold Banker
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Within 30 days of opening the new account you can hold the funds as long as you state in your funds availibility disclosure regarding holds on new accounts.

Return to Top
#1768782 - 12/19/12 03:19 PM Re: I am confusing myself on Reg CC exception hold Banker
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
The location of the paying bank is irrelevant. What is relevant is whether the check is an otherwise "next-day" item such as a cashier's, teller's or certified check.

If the check is a next-day item, you cannot place a new account hold on it because it's for under $5,000. You can, however, place a reasonable cause to doubt collectibility hold if circumstance warrant. A better decision in such a case might be to refuse the check for deposit, and accept it only for collection (or simply refuse it altogether).

If it's not a next-day item, you can hold the entire check amount for whatever period you have disclosed in your funds availability disclosure will apply to such checks. The regulation does not restrict the duration of such new account holds for other than next-day items, but you must state in your disclosure what duration your bank will use.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1768796 - 12/19/12 03:28 PM Re: I am confusing myself on Reg CC exception hold Banker
Banker Offline
100 Club
Southeastern US
Thanks for clearing that up for me!

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett