Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1770461 - 12/26/12 08:29 PM Cashiers Check imprinted?
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
Reg CC defines Cashiers Checks--
(i) Cashier's check means a check that is--
(1) Drawn on a bank;
(2) Signed by an officer or employee of the bank on behalf of the bank as drawer;
(3) A direct obligation of the bank; and
(4) Provided to a customer of the bank or acquired from the bank for remittance purposes.

I do not see anywhere that it must have the words "Cashier's Check" imprinted on the check. However, I have not seen one that did not have this printed.

Is is required and is any check written by a bank on itself treated as if it were a cashiers check?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#1770475 - 12/26/12 08:47 PM Re: Cashiers Check imprinted? SMQ, CRCM
Al Miller Offline
Diamond Poster
Al Miller
Pleasanton CA USA
It could be called a Tellers Check or an Official Check or an Expense Check. The words Cashier's Check are not required.

Al
Last edited by Al Miller; 12/26/12 08:48 PM.

Return to Top
#1770483 - 12/26/12 08:52 PM Re: Cashiers Check imprinted? SMQ, CRCM
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
Thanks, for Reg CC holds, do we treat the same as Cashiers Check or is it treated the same as any other check?

Return to Top
#1770513 - 12/26/12 09:36 PM Re: Cashiers Check imprinted? SMQ, CRCM
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
If it meets the definition of Cashier's check, you must treat it as a cashier's check regardless of how it is or is not labeled, if your customer meets any bank-imposed requirement of using a special deposit ticket, and if it's deposited to an account of a payee of the check.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1770514 - 12/26/12 09:39 PM Re: Cashiers Check imprinted? SMQ, CRCM
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
Thanks for confirming this for me.

I'm so tired I can't think straight, off for the next two days and if all the company leaves I will be doing a lot of sleeping ----- I hope.

Return to Top
#1770517 - 12/26/12 09:50 PM Re: Cashiers Check imprinted? SMQ, CRCM
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Compliance Officers are permitted to have brain cramps during the month of December. It's part of the official job description. See, you can read it right .... now where did I file that job description?

I'd like to say that things will get easier after the holiday season, but methinks the CFPB will be running us ragged starting right after New Year's Day pumping out all those final MRAPLA lending rules. Woo-hoo!
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1770518 - 12/26/12 09:56 PM Re: Cashiers Check imprinted? SMQ, CRCM
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
Let me tell you something about uneducated banking staff - I have had mega banks and credit unions tell my customers that our Official Check is not a Cashier's Check - just because it doesn't say the actual words Cashier's Check on it -.....I have got to the point with one CU staffer that I actually questioned their ability to their job (Operations) if they were that uneducated - frustrating. We ended up revamping our Check Program and renaming (and re-printing) ours as Cashier's Checks, just to save our customers the hassle -
What has happened to training??????
(And these were necessarily all front line folks either......some were officer level)

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett