Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1691909 - 04/24/12 02:58 PM Unique Identifier Requirements
rachelchri Offline
100 Club
I have read somewhere that an MLOs Unique Identifier are required on all loans sold to FHLB (Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac). Is there a requirements for the UI to be on all Mortgage applications?

Return to Top
S.A.F.E. Act Forum
#1691913 - 04/24/12 03:02 PM Re: Unique Identifier Requirements rachelchri
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
A CU, Where Regs Don't Apply
It's not required by the SAFE Act, but many/most investors seem to want it on there as part of their overlays.

Return to Top
#1698592 - 05/11/12 02:01 PM Re: Unique Identifier Requirements rachelchri
rachelchri Offline
100 Club
When reviewing the OCC's SAFE Act examination handbook, I came across a section that says "Title XIV, Section 1402 of the Dodd-Frank Act amended the Truth in Lending ACT (TILA) to require MLOs to include on all loan documents any unique identifier of the MLO provided by the NMLS..."

Is this just a proposal, or is this something we should be doing?

Return to Top
#1698596 - 05/11/12 02:02 PM Re: Unique Identifier Requirements rachelchri
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
It's part of Dodd-Frank, but implementing regulations have not been written yet. You don't need to worry about it until the CFPB writes the implementing regulations. When they do, they will tell us (hopefully) what "all loan documents" means.

Return to Top
#1698599 - 05/11/12 02:08 PM Re: Unique Identifier Requirements rachelchri
rachelchri Offline
100 Club
ok thanks!!!!

Return to Top
#1698605 - 05/11/12 02:13 PM Re: Unique Identifier Requirements rachelchri
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
In the CFBP proposal issued yesterday, it appears it will be limited to documents that contain terms of the loan.

Return to Top
#1698728 - 05/11/12 04:20 PM Re: Unique Identifier Requirements rachelchri
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
Randy, where can I find the proposal?

Return to Top
#1698736 - 05/11/12 04:27 PM Re: Unique Identifier Requirements Dani York, CRCM
Peach Offline
100 Club
Peach
Out West
I think BOL is having a Webinar on June 5th that might be informative as well. What is coming up in lending. I want to attend.

Return to Top
#1698838 - 05/11/12 06:35 PM Re: Unique Identifier Requirements rachelchri
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Originally Posted By: rachelchri
When reviewing the OCC's SAFE Act examination handbook, I came across a section that says "Title XIV, Section 1402 of the Dodd-Frank Act amended the Truth in Lending ACT (TILA) to require MLOs to include on all loan documents any unique identifier of the MLO provided by the NMLS..."

Is this just a proposal, or is this something we should be doing?

What the exam handbook failed to say is that the amendment to TILA won't be effective until (1) final regulations are issued or (2) January 21, 2013, whichever comes first. The final regulations can include a compliance date that's even later than the January date.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1698978 - 05/11/12 09:19 PM Re: Unique Identifier Requirements Dani York, CRCM
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Originally Posted By: Dani York
Randy, where can I find the proposal?

You can find a link to it in todays top stories on BOL:

Clarify that only disclosure and closing documents that include loan terms must include the required unique identifiers and the names of individual MLOs, and, for those cases in which multiple individuals (or entities) meet the Dodd-Frank definition of mortgage originator, clarify which MLOs must include their unique identifiers and names on the documents.

Return to Top
#1698983 - 05/11/12 09:22 PM Re: Unique Identifier Requirements rachelchri
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
Thanks so much!

Return to Top
#1755245 - 11/05/12 10:32 PM Re: Unique Identifier Requirements Dani York, CRCM
complygirl Offline
Platinum Poster
midwest
Still no final rules on this correct? Just wanted to doublecheck.

Return to Top
#1755599 - 11/06/12 07:48 PM Re: Unique Identifier Requirements rachelchri
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
Correct.

Return to Top
#1772879 - 01/04/13 10:31 PM Re: Unique Identifier Requirements rachelchri
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Do you think this is going to be only the UI# of the Loan Officer taking the application or could all UI# of all loan officers be pre-printed on the applications?

Return to Top
#1773845 - 01/08/13 07:58 PM Re: Unique Identifier Requirements rachelchri
Cocoloco Offline
New Poster
Our system was updated to reflect the U/I for the primary MLO. Any MLO's that followed could be located in the audit trail of the application(say the MLO quit)in backup documentation. We also overkilled and have the U/I on all loan documents from applications to disclosures

Return to Top
#1773891 - 01/08/13 08:52 PM Re: Unique Identifier Requirements rachelchri
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Are you meaning that you have the UI for the head mortgage loan officer pre-printed on the application? Does that work when another loan officer actually takes the application?

Return to Top
#1774134 - 01/09/13 03:45 PM Re: Unique Identifier Requirements rachelchri
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
I'm reading it to say that the bank designates the primary MLO for each application, and that's what follows the file, along with any additional MLOs tucked away in the audit trail.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1774211 - 01/09/13 05:29 PM Re: Unique Identifier Requirements rachelchri
Cocoloco Offline
New Poster
Bingo John..The compensation aspect to the MLO who actually "worked" the loan then falls to the line of business.

Return to Top
#1778345 - 01/21/13 08:01 PM Re: Unique Identifier Requirements complygirl
Reads Regs Offline
Diamond Poster
Originally Posted By: complygirl
Still no final rules on this correct? Just wanted to doublecheck.
The rules on putting NMLS ID#s on loan documents are within the Reg. Z MLO comp. rule that was posted yesterday to the CFPB's web site. http://www.consumerfinance.gov/regulatio...t-regulation-z/ The #'s won't go on the "Loan Estimate" until the RESPA/TILA integratation final rule is issued. This Reg. Z MLO comp. rule refers to the application, the note, the mortgage. See page 486 of the rule.

Return to Top
#1788622 - 02/22/13 09:10 PM Re: Unique Identifier Requirements rachelchri
Still Smiling Offline
Platinum Poster
Sorry for barging in, but this sounds similar to an issue we are having and wanted to see how others handle this.

Our mortgage division (coorespondent lender secondary market) recently hired 2 Jr loan officers that currently are paid on salary and work under an established loan officer for training, etc. Both Jr loan officers have NMLS numbers. These Jr people handle a typical loan from start to closing, however the established LO is allowed to claim the loan for compensation purposes and therefore the established loan officer NMLS number shows up on final documents and internal systems for future marketing campaigns, etc. I know I don't have to tell you guys how territorial loan officers can be, so I am looking to resolve a fight...

Am I wrong, I see potential problems if a customer has been given more than one loan officer or unique identifier number associated with a particular transaction? There could be liability issues for possible problems that could occur and which officer is responsible?

I haven't been able to find where this is specifically addressed so I would appreciate advice on how you might handle this type situation.

Return to Top
#1788733 - 02/23/13 01:22 PM Re: Unique Identifier Requirements rachelchri
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
The number appearing on your systems is whatever you need it to be, but the number appearing on correspondence with the applicant and on loan documents should be that of the MLO handling the application or other aspect of the transaction. Find another way to log who gets credit for the loan.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1788858 - 02/25/13 05:07 PM Re: Unique Identifier Requirements rachelchri
Still Smiling Offline
Platinum Poster
As always...thanks John

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett