Thread Options Tools
#1781337 - 01/30/13 08:28 PM lockboxes and handling medical-related bills
Trees Offline
Power Poster
We've never offered lockbox services. We have been asked to do so and, of course, for the worst kind: medical info bills.

I never followed up on this subject because we never intended to offer this service. Well, that's over.

If you are doing so and have links to some "how-to", "what not to do" guidance, I would appreciate it.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#1781554 - 01/31/13 02:37 PM Re: lockboxes and handling medical-related bills Trees
1 Peter 5:7 Offline
Diamond Poster
1 Peter 5:7
TX
Search for HIPAA threads, even back a few years for good discussions. You will need to determine if under HIPAA you are handling PHI, your status under HIPAA, and then the extent of HIPAA privacy and information security rules you need to follow. That's your general roadmap.

Return to Top
#1781560 - 01/31/13 02:44 PM Re: lockboxes and handling medical-related bills 1 Peter 5:7
1 Peter 5:7 Offline
Diamond Poster
1 Peter 5:7
TX
Link to get you started.

Return to Top
#1781773 - 01/31/13 06:52 PM Re: lockboxes and handling medical-related bills Trees
Trees Offline
Power Poster
Thank you.

Return to Top
#1782714 - 02/04/13 09:05 PM Re: lockboxes and handling medical-related bills Trees
Trees Offline
Power Poster
I read the posts in the link as well as some stuff i grabbed off the internet. As usual, there are thousands of articles, etc. on HIPAA. First off, we will be receiving the payments, sent via mail, to the lockbox. We will be handling nothing else, inclduing disputes, benefit info, etc. The payments will probably include stubs from the bill...or may include the whole bill for people who don't like to take out their scissors and cut along the dotted lines. We will open the envelopes and make up a stub including account number and amount paid. We will send this info electronically back to the health services provider. Checks will be deposited to specified checking accounts. We will destroy all original docs. sent. based on ths scenario, and what I have read, we are not a business associate. We do not need a contract. We do not need certification that we are HIPAA compliant. Am I on the right track?

Return to Top
#1782779 - 02/04/13 11:08 PM Re: lockboxes and handling medical-related bills Trees
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
what happens if an employee fails to destroy an original document if received? or worse, takes the original documents and does who knows what with them?

If you haven't already decided to bring this process in house, you may want to consider looking at outsourcing to a 3rd party provider, who will be able to do this service under a private-label for your bank, and save you the headaches...

Return to Top
#1782866 - 02/05/13 03:16 PM Re: lockboxes and handling medical-related bills Trees
Trees Offline
Power Poster
Oh, to dream......Perhaps that is the way we will go if it becomes hard to manage, etc. In the interim, I have to view this as a service we will be bringing in house and have to do all the due diligence, etc.

Return to Top
#1782879 - 02/05/13 03:44 PM Re: lockboxes and handling medical-related bills Trees
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
FACTA considerations... will your lenders and lending groups be compleltely insulated from having any access to any of the info that arrives in that lock box... make sure LO's and collection people are not trolling the data for info for medical info on your customers, or potential customers.

All the more reason to seriously investigate Happy's mentioning of outsourcing.

Return to Top
#1782953 - 02/05/13 05:10 PM Re: lockboxes and handling medical-related bills Trees
Trees Offline
Power Poster
Oh Happy Daggar! Nope, can't deal with this along the 3rd party service angle. Not from the get go, anyways.

I've been trolling the internet looking for training. of course, there are pages of that. I need to find a suitable one. Anyone have any suggestions, feel free to share!

Return to Top
#1782967 - 02/05/13 05:29 PM Re: lockboxes and handling medical-related bills Trees
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
unless you plan on hiring an experienced lockbox manager, i suggest outsourcing.

Return to Top
#1783306 - 02/06/13 04:07 PM Re: lockboxes and handling medical-related bills Trees
Trees Offline
Power Poster
SoOOOOOOO out of my control, HappyG. My only alternative is to win the Powerball.....

Return to Top