Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1781767 - 01/31/13 06:46 PM Reg Z - mobile home vs manufactured home
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
They reference that manufactured home uses the same definition as found in 24 CFR 3280.2, see below, but give no indication (that I've found so far) on what a 'mobile home' is. Given that a manufactured home can be one piece, does it sound like what they mean by mobile home would be a recreational vehicle used as a PR??

Manufactured home means a structure, transportable in one or more sections, which in the traveling mode is 8 body feet or more in width or 40 body feet or more in length or which when erected on-site is 320 or more square feet, and which is built on a permanent chassis and designed to be used as a dwelling with or without a permanent foundation when connected to the required utilities, and includes the plumbing, heating, air-conditioning, and electrical systems contained in the structure. This term includes all structures that meet the above requirements except the size requirements and with respect to which the manufacturer voluntarily files a certification pursuant to § 3282.13 of this chapter and complies with the construction and safety standards set forth in this part 3280. The term does not include any self-propelled recreational vehicle. Calculations used to determine the number of square feet in a structure will include the total of square feet for each transportable section comprising the completed structure and will be based on the structure's exterior dimensions measured at the largest horizontal projections when erected on site. These dimensions will include all expandable rooms, cabinets, and other projections containing interior space, but do not include bay windows. Nothing in this definition should be interpreted to mean that a manufactured home necessarily meets the requirements of HUD's Minimum Property Standards (HUD Handbook 4900.1) or that it is automatically eligible for financing under 12 U.S.C. 1709(b).

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
Interagency (Reg Z) and CFPB Reg B Appraisal Rules
#1782031 - 02/01/13 02:49 PM Re: Reg Z - mobile home vs manufactured home RR Joker
Always In Training Offline
Diamond Poster
Where the Green Grass Grows
"The term does not include any self-propelled recreational vehicle."

Return to Top
#1782277 - 02/01/13 08:14 PM Re: Reg Z - mobile home vs manufactured home RR Joker
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
But my problem is this.

They use the exemptions:

• transactions secured by a new manufactured home
• transactions secured by a mobile home, boat, or trailer

but only define manufactured.

Around here, we consider them two different things. A mobile home being titled property and manufactured is not.

They have to be meaning an RV type (self propelled), but I think they should have defined it if they are going to use it. wink

Return to Top
#1782312 - 02/01/13 08:48 PM Re: Reg Z - mobile home vs manufactured home RR Joker
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
the closest I can find that they come to defining "mobile home" is

Paragraph 34.203(b)(3).
1. Secured by a mobile home. For purposes of the exemption in § 34.203(b)(3), a mobile
home does not include a manufactured home, as defined in § 34.203(a)(2).

Well....that's spectacularly unhelpful. crazy

Return to Top
#1782532 - 02/04/13 03:42 PM Re: Reg Z - mobile home vs manufactured home RR Joker
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Exactly.

Return to Top
#1782735 - 02/04/13 09:32 PM Re: Reg Z - mobile home vs manufactured home RR Joker
Tigg Offline
Power Poster
Tigg
Looking for My Happy Place....
Everything I've read seems to indicate that "manufactured home" includes "mobile homes" in that they both have an undercarriage for delivery and when placed on site the wheels are removed, but the undercarriage remains.

Based on a comment in Regulation B, the term "mobile home" is outdated and no longer used in the manufactured home industry.

I have to wonder if, in using "mobile home" in this instance, they actually mean "recreational vehicle"?

But then again.... who knows?

My opinion only.

Return to Top
#1783051 - 02/05/13 08:13 PM Re: Reg Z - mobile home vs manufactured home RR Joker
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Yes...that's the only thing they can be meaning! I'd rather than just said RV or something tho! LOL

South Georgia still has a 'mobile home' mentalilty!

Return to Top
#1783267 - 02/06/13 03:19 PM Re: Reg Z - mobile home vs manufactured home RR Joker
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Has anyone figured out the bulk sale issue on figuring out what an individual sales price was on one property involved? All I can think of would be the stated amount on the tax record. crazy

An appraiser trade association stated that an appraiser’s expertise is important in valuing
properties that are part of a bulk sale. No other commenters commented on this question. In
view of the value that appraisers can add in valuing properties as part of a bulk sale, and in the
absence of requests or suggestions for additional guidance, the Agencies are adopting the rule as
proposed with no additional provisions or clarifications regarding the purchase price of
properties purchased in bulk sales.

Return to Top
#1784446 - 02/08/13 10:08 PM Re: Reg Z - mobile home vs manufactured home RR Joker
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
RR - where is your quote coming from? I don't recall bulk sales being discussed.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#1784592 - 02/11/13 01:53 PM Re: Reg Z - mobile home vs manufactured home RR Joker
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Andy, it's on page 89 of Z.

I wondered, because it's not unusual for an investor to buy 50 - 100 properties in one fell swoop and then either hold as rentals, or sell some of them.

The discussion just seemed vague to me.

Return to Top
#1788384 - 02/22/13 03:50 PM Re: Reg Z - mobile home vs manufactured home RR Joker
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
The power of the comment letter. Only an appraisal group commented and said appraisals are important which really didn't answer the CFPB question of how to identify the price the seller paid. The only statement is "The Agencies understand that, in bulk sales, a sales price might be assigned to individual properties for tax or accounting reasons..."

This may be a matter for clarification later based on the CFPBs read of the deal.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#1795783 - 03/18/13 04:57 PM Re: Reg Z - mobile home vs manufactured home RR Joker
Tigg Offline
Power Poster
Tigg
I found something about mobile homes today.

The NADA website says a "mobile home is a factory-built home that is 1) built before June 15, 1976, and 2) not built to a uniform construction code."

Do you think it would be advisable to use this definition when reading these new rules where the term mobile home is used?

My opinion only.

Return to Top
#1795788 - 03/18/13 05:05 PM Re: Reg Z - mobile home vs manufactured home RR Joker
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Do you think it would be advisable to use this definition when reading these new rules where the term mobile home is used?

Where is the term "mobile home" used in the new Regulation B rules? They removed it.

As far as Regulation Z, if it is not part of the titled land and is separately titled, I think you are safe to treat it as either a mobile home or manufactured home without further definition.

Return to Top
#1795852 - 03/18/13 06:37 PM Re: Reg Z - mobile home vs manufactured home RR Joker
Tigg Offline
Power Poster
Tigg
So for my sanity's sake:

New manufactured (or mobile)homes regardless of whether or not they are also secured by land are not subject to the Reg. Z HPML appraisal rules.

Not new manufactured (or mobile)homes that are attached to property are subject to the new HPML appraisal rules.

Not new manufactured (or mobile) homes not attached to land (personal property) are never subject to the HPML appraisal rules.

Thanks!

Is that right?

My opinion only.

Return to Top
#1796161 - 03/19/13 03:21 PM Re: Reg Z - mobile home vs manufactured home RR Joker
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Based on my interpretation, I have defined 'mobile home' as a self propelled mobile home, such as an RV. I think you have to define it differently. The definition of a manufactured home as found in 12 CFR 3280.2 describes a home used as a dwelling with or without a permanent foundation when connected to utilities.

Because there is an addtional proposal to potentially exempt/exclude existing manufactured homes, I feel they must be making a distinction between a 'mobile' and a 'manufactured' home. Since what we think of as a 'mobile' home, fits the definition of 'manufactured' homes, I truly believe their intention on 'mobile' was truly...mobile...not how it's titled.

Return to Top