Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1786631 - 02/15/13 03:43 PM New SAR - "invalid characters" in Narrative
WonderWoman Offline
Diamond Poster
WonderWoman
gone fishin'
A SAR was rejected because "One, or more, invalid characters were present in the submitted file." (Narrative)

I looked through the instructions, but can't find a listing of what characters are not accepted.

Does anyone know? (Thank you smile )

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1786652 - 02/15/13 04:01 PM Re: New SAR - "invalid characters" in Narrative WonderWoman
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
I'm stumped. There are several "box" entries that prohibit certain kinds of characters, most frequently hyphens and slashes, but I do not see any announcement that special characters cannot be used in the narrative.

Return to Top
#1786676 - 02/15/13 04:19 PM Re: New SAR - "invalid characters" in Narrative Elwood P. Dowd
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
From a friend:

Read your post on special characters on a break...Maybe they are still filing the legacy form.

Just thought I would point this out from the BSA Electronic Filing Requirements For Suspicious Activity Reports by Depository Institutions (SAR-DI) (Form TD F 90-22.47) :

REQUIRED. Enter a detailed explanation/description of the Suspicious Activity. Upper case characters only. Do not use carriage returns, low values, or special characters.

The admonition against using "carriage returns" remains in the instructions for the Form 111. Love it! grin

Return to Top
#1786681 - 02/15/13 04:23 PM Re: New SAR - "invalid characters" in Narrative WonderWoman
WonderWoman Offline
Diamond Poster
WonderWoman
gone fishin'
I know it wasn't carriage returns or tabs. BSAEFiling was no help - they said to retype the narrative & resubmit.

*sigh*

Return to Top
#1786689 - 02/15/13 04:29 PM Re: New SAR - "invalid characters" in Narrative WonderWoman
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Slashes or hyphens?

Return to Top
#1786735 - 02/15/13 05:04 PM Re: New SAR - "invalid characters" in Narrative WonderWoman
WonderWoman Offline
Diamond Poster
WonderWoman
gone fishin'
He said if I used slashes or hyphens before with the new form (which I have), then they should have been fine. I've also used astericks for years to help seperatate out the muddled flow of sentences.

I'm starting to think it was a glitch with my software - so I resubmitted and we'll see....

Return to Top
#1786976 - 02/15/13 10:14 PM Re: New SAR - "invalid characters" in Narrative WonderWoman
Ted Dreyer Offline
Diamond Poster
Ted Dreyer
In the electronic SAR filing requirements in various places it refers to hyphens, parentheses, periods and spaces as special characters that should not be used in certain fields:

http://bsaefiling.fincen.treas.gov/news/FinCENSARElectronicFilingRequirements.pdf

Return to Top
#1850294 - 09/10/13 10:19 AM Re: New SAR - "invalid characters" in Narrative Ted Dreyer
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Has anyone else experienced this?

What turned out to be the cause?

Return to Top
#1850312 - 09/10/13 12:37 PM Re: New SAR - "invalid characters" in Narrative WonderWoman
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I have not seen any of the banks that I work with experience this.

Return to Top
#1850330 - 09/10/13 01:13 PM Re: New SAR - "invalid characters" in Narrative WonderWoman
joser Offline
NJ
These characters are precluded in address lines by our software system:

!@#$%^&*()+=[]\\\';,.{}|\"":<>?`~_

Otherwise we've had no issues to date in the narrative and we often abbreviate : A/C#

Return to Top
#1850332 - 09/10/13 01:16 PM Re: New SAR - "invalid characters" in Narrative WonderWoman
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
we often abbreviate : A/C#

Number of air conditioning units??? smile

Return to Top
#1850388 - 09/10/13 02:31 PM Re: New SAR - "invalid characters" in Narrative rlcarey
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
The instructions specifically prohibit certain characters in some of the boxes. My interest is only in the narrative.

I can produce the error when I copy and paste from a Word document, but do not comprehend why. Formatting?

Return to Top
#1850990 - 09/11/13 04:16 PM Re: New SAR - "invalid characters" in Narrative WonderWoman
ms.understood Offline
Washington
The last time I got an error like that, it was because I had an invalid character in my attachment CSV file name. I forget what the character was though. I know it says it's in your narrative, but I think there are some flaws....and the helpdesk wasn't helpful for me in my case either. I actually taught the helper something that day smirk
Last edited by meowmeow; 09/11/13 04:17 PM.
Return to Top
#1853102 - 09/17/13 09:00 PM Re: New SAR - "invalid characters" in Narrative WonderWoman
WonderWoman Offline
Diamond Poster
WonderWoman
gone fishin'
So it turned out that it was because I copied & pasted from a Word format into my software.

Our software company has now put in a "fix" so that it strips out all character returns and tabs. Ever since then, I've been golden.

Any symbol, number, or whatever is allowed in the narrative.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z