Thread Options
#1788461 - 02/22/13 04:57 PM principal reduction from excess lender credit
aliasg Offline
100 Club
MD
My understanding is that lender pricing credits shown on line 802 that exceed the amount of settlement charges to the borrower must be applied as a principal reduction. Is the principal reduction shown on the HUD-1? If so what line does it go on?

Return to Top
RESPA
#1788477 - 02/22/13 05:21 PM Re: principal reduction from excess lender credit aliasg
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Where does this understanding come from? Why couldn't the borrower just receive cash back?

Return to Top
#1788488 - 02/22/13 05:45 PM Re: principal reduction from excess lender credit aliasg
aliasg Offline
100 Club
MD
oops sorry. It is not a cash out refi.

Return to Top
#1788517 - 02/22/13 06:26 PM Re: principal reduction from excess lender credit aliasg
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
A principal reduction to the borrower is a cash back/out to the borrower. The only difference it's being applied to the principal as part of the loan transaction instead of being paid directly to the borrower.

Showing these as a principal reduction in the 200 series of the HUD may satisfy investor's requirements that it is not a cash out refinancing but the principal reduction will trigger rescission (if a consumer purpose refinancing transaction) because it is new money to the consumer. Doesn't matter if the consumer received it directly and applies it to the principal or has it indirectly applied such as the entry on the HUD.

BTW, to the best of my knowledge there is no such requirement:

My understanding is that lender pricing credits shown on line 802 that exceed the amount of settlement charges to the borrower must be applied as a principal reduction.

You have the option to apply it as a principal reduction or cut the borrower a check.
Last edited by Dan Persfull; 02/22/13 06:37 PM.

Return to Top
#1788524 - 02/22/13 06:34 PM Re: principal reduction from excess lender credit Dan Persfull
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Click here for a previous discussion on the principal reduction and ROR.

Return to Top

Moderator:  QCL