Page 2 of 25 1 2 3 4 24 25
Thread Options
#1771100 - 12/28/12 07:53 PM Re: Will 2013 be the year? basilring
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: basilring
I have been overweight my entire adult life. In 2006 I looked my best, got down about 60 lbs from where I am now. Today, I am the heaviest I have ever been. I am also the happiest I have ever been. I am married to a wonderful man, who I met later in life - and who loves me for who I am - fat or not. Unfortunately, that has not helped in this department.

I also am in a lot of pain. In my 40's, I already am suffering from arthritis due to my weight and some bad genes too. SOOOooooooo.... I need 2013 to be the year I get into shape. But, I feel like it's such a long road and maybe I am afraid of failure? Lord, help me...... Any words of wisdom/advice?

Basil,

#1, look in to local swimming facilities to see if you can find one with a warm water pool. Exercise classes in these conditions is best for those of us with arthritis and weight problems. Water = less impact = less pain. Warm Water = therapy for aches. If you can't find a warm water pool, go with any other pool and get to swimming. It's the best non-weight bearing cardio you can do. If you can't swim, walk in the shallow end. The resistance makes a difference.

#2. Avoid the scale for your first 3 months. Instead, write down the measurements of your waist, and check it! You'll be pleasantly surprised over time. Scales can be deceiving, because as you build muscle early on, you'll gain weight, even while the fat is going away. Why? Muscle weighs significantly more than fat.

#3. Don't overdo it! Every other day at most to start out, and if you can afford it, get a trainer to help you. They're worth the money if they are good. Look for people at the gym who are not perfectly fit and ask them if they've used someone.

#4. Watch your diet. Make sure you're getting plenty of fluids, and avoiding carboloading after exercise.

#5. Pray! God is good, and He will give you the strength to accomplish this!

Return to Top
#1771360 - 12/31/12 06:54 PM Re: Will 2013 be the year? basilring
basilring Offline
Gold Star
Spartan Country!
B_F... what a great list. I like #5 the best.

Return to Top
#1771446 - 01/02/13 02:44 PM Re: Will 2013 be the year? basilring
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
My favorite post-workout beverage: Chocolate Milk

During the week it's just plain milk. Chocolate on the weekends!

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1771451 - 01/02/13 02:55 PM Re: Will 2013 be the year? basilring
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
I would say the scale thing is a little bit of OCD... or something like that. I have always been that way. Would love to shake it.

Exercise is going to be the hardest at first, because the arthritis pain will be hard to work through. I've tried several times this year and end up quitting... gotta work through it this time... and find the right exercise, like sticking with the treadmill. Going to an step aerobic class was a bad idea!

Exercise does not have to be in tht gym or typical at all.

Give yourself credit where it is due. I started by getting up from my desk and walking around the branch a few times a day. Sounds silly but we tend to sit here for 7-9 hours a day! Any movement is better than just sitting there. Maybe you won't hurt so much but will start to feel your muscles tone. THAT is a great feeling.

Return to Top
#1771452 - 01/02/13 02:56 PM Re: Will 2013 be the year? basilring
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
...and speaking of exercise...

2013 will be a new year for me to "learn" what my healthy is and how to stay that way.

Back to the drawing board. smile

Return to Top
#1771454 - 01/02/13 02:59 PM Re: Will 2013 be the year? basilring
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
::high five::

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1771489 - 01/02/13 03:49 PM Re: Will 2013 be the year? basilring
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
Exercise is a constant state of reinvention. Our bodies change, our lives change, our knowledge changes, our interests change...even our health needs change. Recognizing and embracing the changes can be key in successful adaptation.
I used to bodybuild, now I race. Some use to rodeo now they run. Some did nothing now they do crossfit. And some have been doing the same thing for 40 years. MonKee has a dibilitating health condidtion and still manages to do something. Jen has a broken femur and gets in the pool and swims. My dad is 80 years old, has a full time veterinary practice and serves or six(6) different boards and lobby's for education funds in DC and he still works out an hour everyday! (seeing your excuses melt away?)
Folks, you can walk, swim, ride, eliptical, stationary bike, lift weights, do pushups, do crosfit, play tennis, play badminton, play softball, run, do P90X, Brazillian Butt Lift your self silly....
Just do something...anything! And do it on a regular basis! Consitancy in your exercise and diet. That is what wins!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!! grin
Last edited by Bankbb1, PITA; 01/02/13 04:24 PM.

Return to Top
#1771492 - 01/02/13 03:52 PM Re: Will 2013 be the year? basilring
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
^^^^ Yes. To all that.

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1771509 - 01/02/13 04:10 PM Re: Will 2013 be the year? basilring
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
I was under the impression as of today (tomorrow it will be different) that fat people live longer?

CAMS

Return to Top
#1771510 - 01/02/13 04:10 PM Re: Will 2013 be the year? basilring
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
A CU, Where Regs Don't Apply
::Adds Brazilian Butt Lift to Netflix queue::

This will be the year!!

Of course, I agree with the above as well, and what's above that, etc. Anything will always beat nothing. Baby steps, add more as you go. My weight has been stagnant for nearly a year now, but I know I've gotten in better shape (ignoring the last few weeks of eating wink ) and will continue to improve even if the scale doesn't say so. I can't tell you how good it feels to put on things that used to fit and just laugh at how you look in it now. I put on a winter coat last week that's a couple years old, I'm relatively sure another person could fit in there with me. You'll find what you need, just start looking and try as many new things as you can!

Return to Top
#1771553 - 01/02/13 04:46 PM Re: Will 2013 be the year? basilring
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
::obligatory comment about before and after pictures::

wink laugh

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1771570 - 01/02/13 05:09 PM Re: Will 2013 be the year? basilring
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
A CU, Where Regs Don't Apply
Before and after the holiday eating? It wasn't that bad, sheesh! Only a few pounds.

Return to Top
#1771581 - 01/02/13 05:28 PM Re: Will 2013 be the year? basilring
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
<<< slacker over the holidays

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1771585 - 01/02/13 05:34 PM Re: Will 2013 be the year? basilring
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
could be he just wishes to live longer.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/02/health...eight.html?_r=0

CAMS

Return to Top
#1771588 - 01/02/13 05:45 PM Re: Will 2013 be the year? basilring
basilring Offline
Gold Star
Spartan Country!
I heard the other day that the average person only gains 0.8 lbs over the holidays.... so we need to be careful about using that as an excuse!

Saw on the news this morning before I left for work an 8 hour diet... basically choose an 8 hour window and eat all you want... then nothing for the next 16.

Aye! Diet fads.... good old fashioned portion control and good choices is where I have had the most success. Diets have always been a failure for me. And that is what I am shooting for this year!

Return to Top
#1771592 - 01/02/13 05:48 PM Re: Will 2013 be the year? basilring
basilring Offline
Gold Star
Spartan Country!
By they way, I ate homemoade granola and almond milk this morning for breakfast and it was delicious (Both cow and soy milk give me an upset stomach). Fantastic recipe from Ellie Krieger on her show Healthy Eating and so simple!

3 cups quick oats, 1/2 cup each of chopped walnuts, pecans, almonds, 1/2 cup raisins, 2 tbsp cinnamon, pinch of salt. Mix together with 1/2 cup REAL maple syrup and spread on cookie sheet. 300 degree oven for about 30 mins. YUM!!!!!! And WAY less sugar than most granola recipes.

Enjoy!

Return to Top
#1771607 - 01/02/13 06:20 PM Re: Will 2013 be the year? basilring
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
basil...I also was never successful until I had a support group. smile

You can't be perfect and it's nice to know others mess up too.

Return to Top
#1771608 - 01/02/13 06:23 PM Re: Will 2013 be the year? basilring
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
I heard the other day that the average person only gains 0.8 lbs over the holidays.... so we need to be careful about using that as an excuse!

Saw on the news this morning before I left for work an 8 hour diet... basically choose an 8 hour window and eat all you want... then nothing for the next 16.

Aye! Diet fads.... good old fashioned portion control and good choices is where I have had the most success. Diets have always been a failure for me. And that is what I am shooting for this year!

I saw the 8 hour thing, F...A...D! The man is just selling something.
Portion control. Not skipping meals. Loosing the sugar. Balancing the diet. and ....
EXERCISE!!! grin
That is what lasts a lifetime. wink
Last edited by Bankbb1, PITA; 01/02/13 06:24 PM.

Return to Top
#1771646 - 01/02/13 07:31 PM Re: Will 2013 be the year? basilring
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
I started counting my calories on an app on my phone - my fitness pal - and today is day 85, and pound 20 is long gone. I do not do any of the fad stuff, just watch the calories. The app also tracks exercise and nutrition based on the foods you eat. You can look back and see what you did well and not so well over any period of time. Plus you can add friends on there to help hold you accountable which is important to me.

Now I have added a workout schedule - kettlebells at least 3 times a week (had a hard time walking yesterday!!) and trying to do SOMETHING the other days as well. I am thinking every other day to start. I have always struggled with finding the time, but do have to admit that excuses are easy to find, you have to find reasons to do it instead of put it off.

It isn't supposed to be a 'diet' - it is supposed to be a lifestyle change. And if you bomb on a day and have too many calories (mine sometimes due to intake of alcohol) as long as you are honest with yourself, the next day you get back on track. It is a roller coaster like life, not a bungee jump where the pounds just fall off.

Return to Top
#1771650 - 01/02/13 07:45 PM Re: Will 2013 be the year? Beagles22
Heather301, CRCM Offline
100 Club
Well I decided this is the year to make a lifestyle change. I joined weight watchers and a local gym today! It feels so good finally taking control and making the commitment. I am all in this time and no more excuses! Hold me accountable BOLers because I know I will need the support! It will all be worth it come swimsuit time... Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels!!!

Return to Top
#1771659 - 01/02/13 08:00 PM Re: Will 2013 be the year? basilring
basilring Offline
Gold Star
Spartan Country!
Good luck Heather! 2013 is our year!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to Top
#1771681 - 01/02/13 08:26 PM Re: Will 2013 be the year? basilring
chenin Offline
Diamond Poster
chenin
Good luck Heather! 2013 is our year!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Count me in on that! I have about 20 lbs I'd like to loos. Working out, and have gained muscle, which I know weighs more, but need to work on more cardio to loose the pounds.

Return to Top
#1771683 - 01/02/13 08:28 PM Re: Will 2013 be the year? basilring
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
I'm late to the party, but throwing my hat in the ring too! I just started back to the gym about a month and a half ago after losing 40 pounds then re-gaining 50. Just take it slow. I've realized a good deal of my problem is I want to see big results. This time around, I'm focusing on small goals (get below 220---yes, I just threw a ballpark of my weight out here on the internet). When I hit that goal, I'll make a new one (thinking another 10 pounds).

Before Christmas I was just a couple pounds away from my first weight goal, BUT I had already lost 2 inches in my waist! My pants are looser. That's what encourages me, seeing my clothes get bigger.

Hang in there and good luck basilring and Heather301, and all you others trying to get healthy. We can do this!!

Return to Top
#1771684 - 01/02/13 08:29 PM Re: Will 2013 be the year? basilring
basilring Offline
Gold Star
Spartan Country!
Will do chenin... everyone is welcome to join this group!

Return to Top
#1771723 - 01/02/13 09:04 PM Re: Will 2013 be the year? basilring
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
I have been overweight my entire adult life. In 2006 I looked my best, got down about 60 lbs from where I am now. Today, I am the heaviest I have ever been. I am also the happiest I have ever been. I am married to a wonderful man, who I met later in life - and who loves me for who I am - fat or not. Unfortunately, that has not helped in this department.

I also am in a lot of pain. In my 40's, I already am suffering from arthritis due to my weight and some bad genes too. SOOOooooooo.... I need 2013 to be the year I get into shape. But, I feel like it's such a long road and maybe I am afraid of failure? Lord, help me...... Any words of wisdom/advice?

Basil - you sound just like I did one year ago. What kick-started me was looking at a photo that was taken at a party in March. I gasped and decided right then and there I needed to do something. I did a lot of on-line research and found that my biggest enemies were sugar and wheat flour. They created a physical addiction that left me feeling weak until I got my next "fix" of sugar and bread.

I found that Ceylon Cinnamon capsules and Coconut Oil capsules enabled me to break that addiction and I have cut sugar and wheat almost entirely out of my diet. I developed an easy to follow daily food schedule that provides about 1200 to 1500 calories per day focusing on lean protein, fresh vegetables and fruit with an occasional serving of sprouted grain bread. The weight loss has averaged a consistent 1.25 pounds per week - and this is without incorporating an exercise routine. My weight loss since April 2012 is at 50 pounds which was my original goal, and now I have re-set my goal to lose another 30 pounds. I am wearing a size 8 or 10 and will probably be at about a size 4 when I reach my new goal.

My New Year's Resolution is to start an exercise routine and I am going to my first Personal Training session tonight. The money I am saving on food I now use for clothes and the Gym Membership!

PM me if you would like me to send you what I am doing food-wise.
Last edited by Princess Romeo; 01/02/13 09:08 PM.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 25 1 2 3 4 24 25

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett