Learn More - Click Here!

Page 8 of 25 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 24 25
Thread Options
#1775965 - 01/14/13 04:59 PM Re: Will 2013 be the year? basilring
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
A CU, Where Regs Don't Apply
To paraphrase a quote from a crazy person: It's never too cold to run, you just have insufficient running gear.

I've stayed outside as much as possible. The cold (same temps as Loralie's experiencing) doesn't get in my way, as long as the conditions are safe enough to run in. Snow is okay, but still plenty dangerous. Ice is a no-no, but I'll deal with some.

Saturday was windy as heck and my eyes wouldn't stop watering/freezing. I did 3 outside and came in for another 4. If you have no treadmill access, that definitely gets in your way. There are other cardio routines you can do for cross-training purpose, but there's really no decent way to train for running that doesn't involve running. You can always look at things like jumping rope too though.

Does your new bank have any discounts available with local gyms or the YMCA maybe? If you haven't considered this, ask around. We get half off at one of the bigger local ones here, that includes some 24 hour places too so lots of people take advantage of that.

Return to Top
#1775966 - 01/14/13 05:00 PM Re: Will 2013 be the year? basilring
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
Loralie, its really hard to do something that takes the place of running for "getting your wind", but you can do things that will help a lot! Silly as it sounds, good ole Jumping jacks done for 10 minutes at a time will help, a jump rope will help, squat thrusts, burpees, running in place....all of these are good. You can do combos too. Its just about engaging lots of large muscle groups for 30 minutes.

Return to Top
#1775970 - 01/14/13 05:04 PM Re: Will 2013 be the year? Matt_B
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
Originally Posted By: Matt_B
To paraphrase a quote from a crazy person: It's never too cold to run, you just have insufficient running gear.

I've stayed outside as much as possible. The cold (same temps as Loralie's experiencing) doesn't get in my way, as long as the conditions are safe enough to run in. Snow is okay, but still plenty dangerous. Ice is a no-no, but I'll deal with some.

Saturday was windy as heck and my eyes wouldn't stop watering/freezing. I did 3 outside and came in for another 4. If you have no treadmill access, that definitely gets in your way. There are other cardio routines you can do for cross-training purpose, but there's really no decent way to train for running that doesn't involve running. You can alw ays look at things like jumping rope too though.

Does your new bank have any discounts available with local gyms or the YMCA maybe? If you haven't considered this, ask around. We get half off at one of the bigger local ones here, that includes some 24 hour places too so lots of people take advantage of that.

Matt, i got some yellow, wrap around shooting glasses for running at night and in low light condidtions (last night I passed a guy in goggles). It really helps with the watering eye thing.

Nice paraphrase, BTW laugh

Return to Top
#1775972 - 01/14/13 05:06 PM Re: Will 2013 be the year? manimal
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: manimal
A wise man once told me: If you can run a 5k, you can run a marathon. It's all mental.

A wise man once told me, don't run unless someone is chasing you, or you are chasing someone else!

Return to Top
#1775980 - 01/14/13 05:15 PM Re: Will 2013 be the year? Bankbb1, PITA
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
Originally Posted By: Bankbb1, PITA

Matt, i got some yellow, wrap around shooting glasses for running at night and in low light condidtions (last night I passed a guy in goggles). It really helps with the watering eye thing.

Nice paraphrase, BTW laugh

I usually have sunglasses on. They help to some extent, but it was all cross-wind and was doing me no good at all. Additionally, I fog them up pretty terribly when huffing and puffing along, so I occasionally go blind as well laugh I've considered other options, but not really gone after it like I should.

Return to Top
#1775991 - 01/14/13 05:43 PM Re: Will 2013 be the year? basilring
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
I can identify with Loralie on the cold weather. Because I don't usually run outside, it would be really hard to just start running outside all of a sudden, especially when it's like 10F and windy. I know that I need time to adjust, to work my way down to those temperatures (as in, start when the weather is nice and keep going as it cools off).

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1776000 - 01/14/13 05:55 PM Re: Will 2013 be the year? B_F
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: B_F
A wise man once told me: If you can run a 5k, you can run a marathon. It's all mental.

A wise man once told me, don't run unless someone is chasing you, or you are chasing someone else!

A wise man said in a movie if you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1776004 - 01/14/13 05:59 PM Re: Will 2013 be the year? basilring
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
in my younger days I used to rollerblade at the beach in 10 degree weather. I found it was better than 95. The wind and not the cold was the issue. It is all in the layers and to keep moving. I would not reccomend it for new to outdoor. you need to build up to it

CAMS

Return to Top
#1776007 - 01/14/13 06:07 PM Re: Will 2013 be the year? manimal
Loralie Offline
100 Club
Loralie
IL
I can identify with Loralie on the cold weather. Because I don't usually run outside, it would be really hard to just start running outside all of a sudden, especially when it's like 10F and windy. I know that I need time to adjust, to work my way down to those temperatures (as in, start when the weather is nice and keep going as it cools off).

That's exactly my problem. I need to adjust to the cool weather, but don't have the time. frown

As far as your other suggestions, they are offering discounts to the local YMCA- but it's still more than i can afford- which sucks, cause i'd love to have access to a gym frown

Quote:
Loralie, its really hard to do something that takes the place of running for "getting your wind", but you can do things that will help a lot! Silly as it sounds, good ole Jumping jacks done for 10 minutes at a time will help, a jump rope will help, squat thrusts, burpees, running in place....all of these are good. You can do combos too. Its just about engaging lots of large muscle groups for 30 minutes.

Thanks- These will hopefuly help!! but i HATE HATE HATE Burpees with a passion. not doing those unless i'm forced. lol Jumping jacks and jump rope will help... when my downstairs neighbor isn't home!! lol
Last edited by Loralie; 01/14/13 06:09 PM.

Return to Top
#1776019 - 01/14/13 06:35 PM Re: Will 2013 be the year? Bankbb1, PITA
'Lil Freak! Offline
10K Club
'Lil Freak!
The psych ward
Originally Posted By: Bankbb1, PITA
I find a lot of my stuff at Marshall's for cheap! $10-$20 for the tights. $7-$10

I second that.

Return to Top
#1776023 - 01/14/13 06:42 PM Re: Will 2013 be the year? basilring
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
I race people, using agreed upon stakes. It's like racing for pink slips, but instead of walking home without a car, you might be walking home in 10 degree temps with no pants laugh

Great motivation to go fast!

Return to Top
#1776098 - 01/14/13 08:34 PM Re: Will 2013 be the year? Matt_B
Bobby Boucher Offline
Power Poster
Bobby Boucher
Down Yonder
I race people, using agreed upon stakes. It's like racing for pink slips, but instead of walking home without a car, you might be walking home in 10 degree temps with no pants laugh

Great motivation to go fast!

For you, or for them? :p

Return to Top
#1776138 - 01/14/13 09:48 PM Re: Will 2013 be the year? Loralie
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
Originally Posted By: Loralie
[quote=manimal] Burpees with a passion. not doing those unless i'm forced. lol Jumping jacks and jump rope will help... when my downstairs neighbor isn't home!! lol

A woman walks into her home after work. Its dark and just as she reaches for the light she hears the hammer lock back on a pistol and then a voice, "Down on floor!" She complies, but as soon as she hits the floor she is told to get back up. As soon as she is up the gunman tells her to hit the floor again! Over and over, the gun weilding fiend forces to repeat it again and again untill she thinks her heart will burst! Just as she thinks she may pass out, her husband hands her the gun and says, "Here, now you make me do the burpees!"
laugh

Return to Top
#1776141 - 01/14/13 09:53 PM Re: Will 2013 be the year? basilring
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
^^^ BBB's version of foreplay laugh

Originally Posted By: Bobby Boucher
For you, or for them? :p

For everyone! That's the beauty of it.

Return to Top
#1776143 - 01/14/13 09:58 PM Re: Will 2013 be the year? basilring
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
OK, now I gotta know - what's a burpee?

Return to Top
#1776144 - 01/14/13 10:00 PM Re: Will 2013 be the year? basilring
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
Aka Squat Thrusts. Standing up, drop down to a crouch, legs back to a push-up position, back to a crouch, stand/jump up. Repeat until you either fall over or run out of time laugh

Return to Top
#1776146 - 01/14/13 10:04 PM Re: Will 2013 be the year? basilring
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois

Return to Top
#1776151 - 01/14/13 10:11 PM Re: Will 2013 be the year? basilring
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
um, yeah...those sound like fun. eek

Return to Top
#1776156 - 01/14/13 10:13 PM Re: Will 2013 be the year? Matt_B
Bobby Boucher Offline
Power Poster
Bobby Boucher
Down Yonder
Repeat until you either fall over or run out of time laugh

Or, until the gun-wielding fiend puts the gun down wink

Return to Top
#1776157 - 01/14/13 10:20 PM Re: Will 2013 be the year? Bobby Boucher
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
Originally Posted By: Bobby Boucher
Repeat until you either fall over or run out of time laugh

Or, until the gun-wielding fiend puts the gun down wink

Variation on an old "cowboy joke"...
A cowboy wanders into a small saloon in a dinky little town in the middle of nowhere. He is imediately set upon by a crazed man pointing Colt in his face. The wild eyed man shoves a shot glass towards him and yell's "DRINK IT!". The cowboy takes the shot glass, closes his eyes and shoots down the liquid. He looks up and says, "Holy he11, thats the worst whiskey I ever tasted!" The crazed man says, "I know! Now you take the gun and make me drink it!" laugh
geeze I crack me up! laugh

Return to Top
#1776168 - 01/14/13 10:55 PM Re: Will 2013 be the year? RR Becca
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: RR Becca
OK, now I gotta know - what's a burpee?

it's what you get from chugging a two liter of Coke

Return to Top
#1776237 - 01/15/13 01:31 PM Re: Will 2013 be the year? Loralie
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
Originally Posted By: Loralie
i HATE HATE HATE Burpees with a passion. not doing those unless i'm forced. lol Jumping jacks and jump rope will help... when my downstairs neighbor isn't home!! lol

I can't stand these, and my knees don't like them either.

My trainer makes me do something similar--bear walks/body walks (that's what she calls them). I find them much easier than burpees/squat thrusts. You plant your feet, then bend down to your hands and walk your body out on your hands to a plank position, hold for 2-5 seconds (whatever you can handle), then walk back up on your hands to a standing position. Repeat.....just keep your core tight the whole time.

Last edited by Dani York, CRCM; 01/15/13 01:47 PM.

Return to Top
#1776467 - 01/15/13 06:58 PM Re: Will 2013 be the year? basilring
chenin Offline
Diamond Poster
chenin
I've been doing the Insanity videos and they have Suicide drills that are like a burpee with pushups and an 8 count "run" in the middle. Hate is not a strong enough word to describe how I feel about them, especially when I'm already gasping for air in the middle of an interval.

Return to Top
#1776476 - 01/15/13 07:11 PM Re: Will 2013 be the year? basilring
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
^^ Those are great! smile

Great, like when you're getting your keys out in the grocery store parking lot and they fall out. But, instead of just landing on the ground, they manage to fall under the car parked nearest you. Then when your digging around under there, you look up and there's a woman staring oddly at you and you realize the car is running and her kids are in there. You jump up startled and hit the muffler with your arm, burning yourself. She has a can of pepper spray out, you're cussing about the burn and she just starts spraying you!

Great.

Return to Top
#1776514 - 01/15/13 07:58 PM Re: Will 2013 be the year? Matt_B
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
^^ Great, like when you're getting your keys out in the grocery store parking lot and they fall out. But, instead of just landing on the ground, they manage to fall under the car parked nearest you. Then when your digging around under there, you look up and there's a woman staring oddly at you and you realize the car is running and her kids are in there. You jump up startled and hit the muffler with your arm, burning yourself. She has a can of pepper spray out, you're cussing about the burn and she just starts spraying you!

Great.

That SAME thing happened to me!!! (said no one ever) Sorry - couldn't help myself. blush

Return to Top
Page 8 of 25 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 24 25

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett