Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1789530 - 02/27/13 02:08 PM Checking account for 16 yr old
crazylady Offline
100 Club
Is it strictly each banks own policy and procedures that determine whether we can open a checking acct for 16 yr olds (minors)?

Return to Top
#1789792 - 02/27/13 07:50 PM Re: Checking account for 16 yr old crazylady
Jafo Offline
Gold Star
Jafo
State of Confusion
yes, no law that i know of says you can't.

Return to Top
#1790300 - 02/28/13 08:16 PM Re: Checking account for 16 yr old crazylady
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
If you are consistent you are fine. As long as your management knows the risks (a minor signing contracts) and the possible liability for safety and soundness, it isn't illegal.

Return to Top
#1790357 - 02/28/13 09:27 PM Re: Checking account for 16 yr old crazylady
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
You need to review CHAPTER 705 with your legal counsel. I see no provisions for minor accounts in the WI statutes as there are in other states. What ever you do, you are probably on your own with no statutory defenses.

Return to Top
#1792963 - 03/08/13 06:56 PM Re: Checking account for 16 yr old crazylady
jaschmid Offline
New Poster
Ask yourself this question "If a minor cannot enter into a contract under WI law, how will you proceed with collection if the account becomes overdrawn?" If you have access to Brady on Bank Checks, this issue is addressed and the bank is left holding the loss. For this reason, we require a person who is over the legal age to also be on the account (owner...not just authorized signer) so that we may collect from that individual if the account goes negative. To avoid potential UDAAP violations do not require the second person to be a parent and be consistent with the second owner requirement.

Additionally, I support your idea to offer these accounts as it helps the financial literacy of our youth.

Return to Top