Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1792342 - 03/07/13 04:27 PM CTR-Two Official Checks-Different remitters
Bec Offline
Diamond Poster
Bec
The Great White North
A customer (husband) came in with $12,000 cash and purchased two Official checks for $6,000 each. One was remitted from him and one he had remitted from his wife (his wife was not present). We are still using the old CTR forms. Do I have him as a section A and her as section A, section B Conducted on own behalf? Or do I just do him as a section A and leave her out of it with section B Conducted on own behalf?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1792357 - 03/07/13 04:51 PM Re: CTR-Two Official Checks-Different remitters Bec
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
A CU, Where Regs Don't Apply
I'd say (and I'm not an expert) that she's benefiting from the check, but your CTR is for the cash coming in, not the checks going out. If it was instead written to someone else like the IRS or another financial, you wouldn't try to include them, correct? That's my logic on it anyway.

Return to Top
#1792369 - 03/07/13 05:16 PM Re: CTR-Two Official Checks-Different remitters Bec
devsfan Offline
Diamond Poster
NYC
The husband brought in the cash. If it was deposited to their joint account and then the account is debited for the check purchase you should show all joint account-holders in Section A. If the purchase is made directly with the cash then the husband should be the only person shown in your Section A. How is this different from a situation where the cashier's check that is purchased is payable to ABC Company? You would not show ABC onywhere on the CTR.

Return to Top
#1792377 - 03/07/13 05:27 PM Re: CTR-Two Official Checks-Different remitters devsfan
Bec Offline
Diamond Poster
Bec
The Great White North
I see your point however, the the wife is not the payable to, she is the remitter. So both checks were made out to a financial investment firm and one was from him and one is from her. I certainly do not contend that I would have to include the financial investment firm, however, because she is named as a remitter, I got a little confused. HOwever you can put whatever remitter you darned well want on those checks so I guess maybe just Section A the one that brought the money in???

Return to Top
#1792447 - 03/07/13 07:10 PM Re: CTR-Two Official Checks-Different remitters Bec
devsfan Offline
Diamond Poster
NYC
I am sorry that I did not fully understand the scenario that you described but for CTR purposes I would still only show the husband on the CTR. If anyone disagrees please add your take on this.

Return to Top
#1792515 - 03/07/13 08:22 PM Re: CTR-Two Official Checks-Different remitters Bec
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
OK. You have to file the CTR because husband gave you more than $10K in cash. The remitters in such cases are the persons on whose behalf the transaction is completed. So using the legacy CTR, you have two section A's (one for each remitter) and one section B completed with the "conducted on own behalf" check box.

You deal with the information you have, without embellishing it with "what ifs"
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z