Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1796200 - 03/19/13 04:07 PM Business activity in accts classified as consumer
Tryin-2-Comply Offline
100 Club
Hills of TN
How do you handle accounts that are classified as consumer checking accounts, but the customer is clearly conducting a business out of the account?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#1796210 - 03/19/13 04:20 PM Re: Business activity in accts classified as consumer Tryin-2-Comply
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Tell them to open a business account or you will close their personal account. What other options are there?

Return to Top
#1796249 - 03/19/13 05:26 PM Re: Business activity in accts classified as consumer Tryin-2-Comply
Tryin-2-Comply Offline
100 Club
Hills of TN
The loan officer or account officer - telling me that's not happening.

Return to Top
#1796253 - 03/19/13 05:28 PM Re: Business activity in accts classified as consumer Tryin-2-Comply
MrsSmithCRCM Offline
100 Club
MrsSmithCRCM
Here for the moment
One thing you can point out to those people are that when you disclose to a consumer account- you disclose Reg E, and that you are thereby extending Reg E protections, so when these corporate ACH transactions post, you could take a loss. Beyond that, anyone in your "chain of command" that could help? Another issue is accepting for deposit business checks into a personal account- there are many issues here.

Return to Top
#1796261 - 03/19/13 05:38 PM Re: Business activity in accts classified as consumer Tryin-2-Comply
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
It is important for banks to get these accounts into the proper categories (consumer or business) so that they are handled properly for AML (risk ratings, monitoring, risk assessments (how many accounts in what category) etc.)
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1796302 - 03/19/13 06:37 PM Re: Business activity in accts classified as consumer Tryin-2-Comply
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Also, the "loan officer" should not be making bank policy. As Kathleen suggested - take this to a higher authority.

Return to Top
#1796824 - 03/20/13 08:37 PM Re: Business activity in accts classified as consumer Tryin-2-Comply
Becky Offline
100 Club
Becky
Dallas, Texas
Also, let the Officer know you could be losing some fee income. With the daily max on NSF fees in consumer DDAs, you may not be getting the opportunity to charge for the full number of presented NSFs that you could on a commercial account.

Return to Top
#1796855 - 03/20/13 09:10 PM Re: Business activity in accts classified as consumer Becky
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Quote:
The loan officer or account officer - telling me that's not happening.

One of the banks where I worked had a great policy: If an officer wanted to give instructions to someone who was not a direct report she had to talk to her peer in that area. If I was a VP of lending I would have to go to the VP of operations to give an "instruction" like that. It stopped this kind of garbage...

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett