BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1796625 - 03/20/13 04:33 PM Backup Witholding on Account Agreeement
Lil'Belle Offline
100 Club
Lil'Belle
Texas, United States
Good Morning! I seem to be getting different answers to this question: Does "backup witholding" need to be marked on ALL signature cards for ALL types of accounts always (savings, checking)? I was trained to mark backup witholding only on signature cards of accounts that earn interest (example: savings, NOW, etc). Please help. Thanks you in advance. smile

Return to Top
#1796899 - 03/20/13 11:26 PM Re: Backup Witholding on Account Agreeement Lil'Belle
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I don't understand. Are you talking about on the W-9?

Return to Top
#1799182 - 03/28/13 02:54 PM Re: Backup Witholding on Account Agreeement rlcarey
Lil'Belle Offline
100 Club
Lil'Belle
Texas, United States
On the signature card for TX there is a block that reads "Backup Withholding Certifications". Within the block the customer certifies that the "Taxpayer ID Number" is correct; that he or she is not subject to backup witholding; and or that he or she is an exempt recipient under the IRS Regs and then their signature.

It is within this block that I was trained to only mark "Backup Withholding" if the account that is being opened is an account that earns interest. However, I have individuals that tell me this block should always be marked no matter what type of account it is, if it earns interest or not.

The "Backup Withholding" block reads: "I am not subject to backup witholding either because I have not been notified that I am subject to backup withholding as a result of a failure to report all interest or difvidends, or the Internal Revenue Service has notified me that I am no longer subject to backup witholding."

Return to Top
#1799499 - 03/28/13 11:13 PM Re: Backup Witholding on Account Agreeement Lil'Belle
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
There is no requirement for the substitute W-9 information to be completed on a non-interest bearing account.

Return to Top
#1800414 - 04/02/13 02:50 PM Re: Backup Witholding on Account Agreeement rlcarey
Lil'Belle Offline
100 Club
Lil'Belle
Texas, United States
Thank you so much for your help. Greatly appreciated.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z