Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1789472 - 02/26/13 10:25 PM Customer Contact Personnel texting
SouthernComfort Offline
Platinum Poster
Southern Illinois, USA
We have viewed tellers texting while waiting on customers. We have a strict policy against using cell phones while waiting on customers. Can we prevent customer contact personnel from bringing their cell phones inside the bank?

Return to Top
Human Resources
#1789474 - 02/26/13 10:28 PM Re: Customer Contact Personnel texting SouthernComfort
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
of course you can...although since they aren't paying attention to "strict policy" concerning texting while waiting on customers, what makes you think they'll pay atttention to a new "stricter" policy?

And you better have a dang good description of what warrants customer contact personnel, since this would include, oh, the President on down, anyone who could potentially be dealing with customers
Last edited by HappyGilmore; 02/26/13 10:30 PM.

Return to Top
#1789855 - 02/27/13 08:42 PM Re: Customer Contact Personnel texting HappyGilmore
SouthernComfort Offline
Platinum Poster
Southern Illinois, USA
Thanks for your reply. It is actually a couple of tellers that we have noticed texting while waiting on customers. My concern is if we limit the use of their cell phone we would have to limit the use of all cell phones, as you pointed out, from the CEO down. I don't think that is the solution.

Return to Top
#1789864 - 02/27/13 08:45 PM Re: Customer Contact Personnel texting SouthernComfort
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Have they been reprimanded for this?

Return to Top
#1789885 - 02/27/13 09:15 PM Re: Customer Contact Personnel texting Skittles
ItNeverEnds CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
Looking for my sanity
Originally Posted By: Just Skittles
Have they been reprimanded for this?

That's my exact thought. If you have a policy and they're not following it then discipinary action is required. Stick with your current policy, just enforce it.

Return to Top
#1790331 - 02/28/13 09:02 PM Re: Customer Contact Personnel texting SouthernComfort
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
My daughter has to leave her cell phone at home, but she's in junior high. wink Just send out a reminder notice that hourly personnel are welcome to use their cell phones during break and lunch periods, but not at any other time. Then, zero tolerance.

The worst thing you can do is make a rule, then not enforce it because when you do begin enforcing it they will say: "You never said anything to Bob, Carol, Ted, or Alice and they did it all the time and I just did it this once!"

Thanks for the reminder... for years, the only personnel problem I have had is the cat walking across the keyboard and I have forgotten what a plus that is.

Return to Top
#1790710 - 03/01/13 07:39 PM Re: Customer Contact Personnel texting SouthernComfort
renniks Offline
Diamond Poster
renniks
New England
We stopped all cell phone use behind the teller lines and in the public areas of the branch when we found tellers taking pictures with their phones.

Return to Top
#1799348 - 03/28/13 06:19 PM Re: Customer Contact Personnel texting SouthernComfort
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
We did as well. If it was an emergency call they had to call the branch number and vice versa for outgoing emergency calls.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry