BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Thread Options
#1800457 - 04/02/13 03:49 PM Re: Did you know... Matt_B
Bankster Offline
Diamond Poster
Yinzerville, PA
I have a question for multiple gun owners, Why? Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but just wondering why some people feel the need to own many guns. I saw an ESPN story about a current NFL player that had a different gun in every room of his house. His sister had been murdered by an ex-boyfriend, and I assume it gave him some sort of comfort, but it seemed a little extreme to me.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1800460 - 04/02/13 03:53 PM Re: Did you know... RR Joker
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
Originally Posted By: RR Joker
You gotta love Georgia:

The city council in a small north Georgia town voted Monday night to make gun ownership mandatory — sort of.

Council members in Nelson, a city of about 1,300 residents that’s located 50 miles north of Atlanta, voted unanimously to approve the Family Protection Ordinance. The measure requires every head of household to own a gun and ammunition to “provide for the emergency management of the city” and to “provide for and protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants.”

Not that every household must go out and purchase a firearm.

The ordinance exempts convicted felons and those who suffer from certain physical or mental disabilities, as well as anyone who objects to gun ownership. The ordinance also doesn’t include any penalty for those who don’t comply.

crazy

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1800467 - 04/02/13 03:57 PM Re: Did you know... buggs
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Bucs - i know people that are gun collectors, one owns several hundred different firearms, some 100+ years old. I know people that own many for hunting (various shotguns, various rifles - depending on what they are hunting). I know people who enjoy shooting but have never hunted, and own multiple pistols for this hobby.

I have a family member whose husband was killed, she keeps a weapon on her at all times, and also has access to others where she lives that are "secreted" away yet easily accessible...

While it may seem extreme to you, they would disagree

Return to Top
#1800468 - 04/02/13 03:58 PM Re: Did you know... Bankster
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Originally Posted By: GoBucs
I have a question for multiple gun owners, Why? Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but just wondering why some people feel the need to own many guns. I saw an ESPN story about a current NFL player that had a different gun in every room of his house. His sister had been murdered by an ex-boyfriend, and I assume it gave him some sort of comfort, but it seemed a little extreme to me.

Part facination...part it's fun shooting more than one kind of gun. cool With the shortage and price of ammo right now, however, it's not as practical as it once was. frown

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1800472 - 04/02/13 03:59 PM Re: Did you know... Bankster
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
Why not?

Each gun in my house serves a different purpose. For example, my carry gun is very compact and only holds 10 rounds of ammo, while my home defense hand gun is larger, has a flashlight mounted on it and holds 15 rounds. My short barreled AR-15 is not very accurate at long distances, so that's why I have an AR-15 with a 20" barrel that's accurate for over 400 yards.

Return to Top
#1800475 - 04/02/13 04:01 PM Re: Did you know... buggs
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
If you are a sportsman, there are different guns for different types of game. I have big game rifles for hunting in thick brush and for hunting in open fields. Same with shotguns - one for game birds, one for squirrels, one for turkey, etc.

The same can be said for self defense/home protection, there are different guns for different situations.

I recently relocated my gun safe and when all of them were laid out on the floor, it looked like quite an arsenal. Some were my first guns as a kid that I hope to pass down, some were inherited from my brother. None have a great deal of value to anyone but me and my family.

Just like anything else, people tend to start collecting. Responsible owners lock them up, know how to care for and handle them properly and most people never see them.

Return to Top
#1800482 - 04/02/13 04:15 PM Re: Did you know... buggs
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
A CU, Where Regs Don't Apply
Everyone else in my family has guns, multiple. All are for fun, target shooting or hunting, none specifically for home protection, all are locked up when not in use. My little brother (22 now) has about 20 of his own, many for collecting, with a history and not even meant for use as they'd require significant repairs first.

Same reasons they have multiple fishing poles. Different situations call for different tools.

I own none and have no desire/need to own one, but I understand other people do and don't particularly care if they want to have them and keep them in a safe place while educating their kids about how and when to use them.

Return to Top
#1800487 - 04/02/13 04:24 PM Re: Did you know... Bankster
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here

I do not own any guns but why would someone want a large salt and pepper shaker collections.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1800518 - 04/02/13 05:36 PM Re: Did you know... edAudit
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Originally Posted By: EdAudit

I do not own any guns but why would someone want a large salt and pepper shaker collections.

I didn;t know you knew my mother. laugh

Return to Top
#1800533 - 04/02/13 05:56 PM Re: Did you know... buggs
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Originally Posted By: Petedog
...America's roughly 80 million gun owners have the feds (includng the military)and cops outgunned by a factor of around 79 to 1. That's 4 million vs. 310 million. Sounds like a lot of guns to me. (Of course, tanks, helicopters, battleships, rockets, bombers and fighter jets, probably count for a lot too.)

What is your point? I have not seen 80 million try to outgun the "cops" before.

Military grade firearms are almost always fully automatic, and their other technology is far superior to a handgun. Additionally, in my opinion, in a firefight a .223 (M16) is going to outperform my pistol.

Return to Top
#1800534 - 04/02/13 05:57 PM Re: Did you know... buggs
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Originally Posted By: EdAudit
I do not ge the point. Are you claiming that the 80 million will use the guns against the feds?

You are correct that you don't get the point, Ed. And no, that is not what I'm claiming.

I don't think you understand his point. His point is that your statistics are misapplied.

Return to Top
#1800537 - 04/02/13 05:58 PM Re: Did you know... Bankster
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic

It is someones right to own more than one gun. Furthermore the second amendment is to protect yourself from the Government, not from an everyday criminal. Thus, I think we should be allowed to own vehicles and fighter jets too.

Return to Top
#1800538 - 04/02/13 06:00 PM Re: Did you know... buggs
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Context for OP: Some people try to stir up fear mongering by saying the government is coming to take our guns away. Based on the stats I quoted, how likely do you think that is to actually happen?

If the political climate was right don't you think they would try? If not, then why would you even bother to create a thread like this, unless just to try to instigate something?

Return to Top
#1800547 - 04/02/13 06:27 PM Re: Did you know... buggs
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
California is currently doing that - they have officers who are armed with a list of individuals with mental health issues, and go the homes of the individuals, with no warrant, and ask for permission to enter and question the occupants. They ask if weapons are present, and if so, would they be willing to turn these over to the agents. If the answer is yes, they confiscate and leave. If the answer is no, they leave and get a warrant and return to get the weapons. Not sure how effective they are in recovering, and i believe the article stated their are only 12 agents in the state doing this, so a minimal impact at this point.

Return to Top
#1800548 - 04/02/13 06:26 PM Re: Did you know... Sound Tactic
Bankster Offline
Diamond Poster
Yinzerville, PA
I assumed the multiple gun thing was mostly for hobby/collections, especially on a site for Bankers, but just wanted to get some feedback. I just wondered if there were any other interesting reasons, like 'I live in a dangerous neighborhood, my ex girlfriend is a psycho, my Bank was robbed and I'm freaked-out, I got bullyed as a kid and a gun makes me feel strong', something like that. I'm a closet psychologist.

Return to Top
#1800565 - 04/02/13 06:36 PM Re: Did you know... buggs
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I actually have more knives than guns. Just bought a sweet Ka-Bar concealed carry set up for a left-handed pull. cool

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1800570 - 04/02/13 06:39 PM Re: Did you know... Bankster
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I assumed the multiple gun thing was mostly for hobby/collections, especially on a site for Bankers, but just wanted to get some feedback. I just wondered if there were any other interesting reasons, like 'I live in a dangerous neighborhood, my ex boyfriend is a psycho, my Bank was robbed and I'm freaked-out, I got bullyed as a kid and a gun makes me feel strong', something like that. I'm a closet psychologist.

Well, there is that, too. laugh

Return to Top
#1800573 - 04/02/13 06:44 PM Re: Did you know... Bankster
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
I assumed the multiple gun thing was mostly for hobby/collections, especially on a site for Bankers, but just wanted to get some feedback. I just wondered if there were any other interesting reasons, like 'I live in a dangerous neighborhood, my ex girlfriend is a psycho, my Bank was robbed and I'm freaked-out, I got bullyed as a kid and a gun makes me feel strong', something like that. I'm a closet psychologist.

I own several but I hunt. A shotgun is really not very effective or accurate for things like deer unless at close range. A rifle is not effective against all game because it might not kill on one hit or it might do too much damage to the meat depending on the gun type. A rifle is also terrible for birds or upland game. Many hunting guns come in versions that the left has been calling "assault rifles". For example the Bushman .223 used in the CT massacre is a .223 that was originally designed for hunting purposes. Since the gun is not semiautomatic it is essentially the exact same thing but looks slightly different (no wood stock, different magazine to feed the gun, etc.).

I also now (thank goodness) own a pistol that I use for quick self defense around my home. I will likely never need to use it and hopefully it stays that way. But my shotgun is far more effective at deterring intruders. It is also much deadlier. But my shotgun is purely a hunting gun. My shotgun would be something Fienstein would want taken away. My duck gun is a 12 gauge semi auto that holds 6.

Return to Top
#1800577 - 04/02/13 06:47 PM Re: Did you know... Retired DQ
The Minion Offline
Platinum Poster
The Minion
Originally Posted By: DeeQ
I assumed the multiple gun thing was mostly for hobby/collections, especially on a site for Bankers, but just wanted to get some feedback. I just wondered if there were any other interesting reasons, like 'I live in a dangerous neighborhood, my ex boyfriend is a psycho, my Bank was robbed and I'm freaked-out, I got bullyed as a kid and a gun makes me feel strong', something like that. I'm a closet psychologist.

Now Chief, you know you are on the "No Gun List". Don't even think about it!

Return to Top
#1800581 - 04/02/13 06:49 PM Re: Did you know... buggs
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
I've never owned a gun, but I like violent video games, in particularly online multiplayer first person shooters, like BF3, so if they every require psych testing for gun ownership, they'll probably rule me out.

I do have a replica Braveheart style claymore sword, but the edges aren't sharp. It was a long-drive prize in a golf tourney.

Return to Top
#1800587 - 04/02/13 06:58 PM Re: Did you know... The Minion
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: The Minion
Originally Posted By: DeeQ

Now Chief, you know you are on the "No Gun List". Don't even think about it!

She should be on the "No Drive list" laugh

CAMS

Return to Top
#1800591 - 04/02/13 07:03 PM Re: Did you know... buggs
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Don't forget the "no fly" list, too... laugh

Return to Top
#1800638 - 04/02/13 07:48 PM Re: Did you know... buggs
BotV#6 Offline
Power Poster
BotV#6
Anywhere I want to be
...America's roughly 80 million gun owners have the feds (includng the military)and cops outgunned by a factor of around 79 to 1. That's 4 million vs. 310 million. Sounds like a lot of guns to me. (Of course, tanks, helicopters, battleships, rockets, bombers and fighter jets, probably count for a lot too.)

Did you know one of the reasons Japan didn't invade the US in World War II was because everyone had a gun?

Return to Top
#1800641 - 04/02/13 07:49 PM Re: Did you know... buggs
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
6 years ago a few posters (Buggs) were concerned with the erosion of certain rights guaranteed by the constitution. Even though those same rights have recently been eroded, there have been no complaints. Now he is posting something that seems to me to suggest that he is in favor of additional limitations being put on the 2nd amendment (which is an erosion). If this is not the case Buggs please let me know, because it seems like you think only some rights guaranteed by the constitution should be protected.

Return to Top
#1800649 - 04/02/13 08:01 PM Re: Did you know... buggs
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
maybe we can use these 300+ million guns to shoot down the drones that are flying overhead recording our conversations warrantlessly!

alternatively...

these are the drones you're looking for!

Return to Top
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5