Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#1799312 - 03/28/13 05:40 PM Training
ahkcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
We use an online system for training. Everytime I assign a course, I get pushback from dept heads saying that I assign too many and they don't have time to complete them. In my opinion, I don't feel like I assign too many. Most of the are required training topics, information security, and compliance. Luckily, upper management is in agreement with me and let me assign what I feel is needed.

Just curious, if you use an online system, how many courses do you assign on annual basis?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#1799322 - 03/28/13 05:48 PM Re: Training ahkcompliance
Lilly C Offline
100 Club
Lilly C
Sunny Florida
I get the same push back every year. THe employee with the least number of courses is HR. I assign 8 courses to them. There rest of the employees have a range up to 24. I'm tire of the push back and I simply say that there is nothing we can do about it. Some of our policies require training and all fo the regulations require some sort of training. To be fair I review them every year to see if we can cut back. The branches do a good job of finishing all of their courses because they have a calendar they follow of the courses they need to take every month. Usually one or two. We send out email reminders to the employees. I do have the support of Senior Management and that helps.

Return to Top
#1799327 - 03/28/13 05:51 PM Re: Training ahkcompliance
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
The lending and leadership areas have the most courses (bascially one each month, so 12 total). Lower support staff has 3-4 courses. We try to alternate some courses every other year if possible to avoid doubling up. But, as Flordida Babe said, more and more are becoming annual.

We send out reminder emails each month as well as posting the schedule in employee newsletters.

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1799355 - 03/28/13 06:25 PM Re: Training ahkcompliance
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
I usually assign anywhere between 4 and 6 per year, depending on when they last had training (I'm not a believer in annual training in everything every year). One or two will have to do with BSA/AML (which I do assign each year) and the rest in other compliance areas related to their job responsibilities.

Return to Top
#1799468 - 03/28/13 09:11 PM Re: Training ahkcompliance
tdogz Offline
100 Club
tdogz
Our department was assigned 18 courses for 2013 by Compliance (everything from customer service skills to Reg E). IT also assigns 3 or 4 additional classes each year.

Return to Top
#1799479 - 03/28/13 09:35 PM Re: Training tdogz
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
I assign courses by quarter. I'd say it works out to 3 courses per quarter. Some may have more, some less, depending on job duties.

Return to Top
#1799545 - 03/29/13 01:29 PM Re: Training ahkcompliance
ahkcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Thanks all for the feedback! My training is right in line with everyone else. It is usually the loan dept that I get the pushback from and they normally have the most courses assigned. What I tell them is when I stop seeing errors from your dept I will lightened up the load but until then you better get a move on!

Return to Top
#1799589 - 03/29/13 02:20 PM Re: Training ahkcompliance
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Are the complaints that you receive based on 1) they don't have time or 2) they already know this material? (Just curious.)

Return to Top
#1799676 - 03/29/13 04:12 PM Re: Training Elwood P. Dowd
Cornfed Turtle Offline
Diamond Poster
"...Somewhere in Middle Americ...
At my last bank the complaints were originally about the time, but when I talked to the mgr, it was TRULY that they were tired of the same training. We implemented a little contest where their employees could "test out" of the module and compete against those of us in risk management who also tried to test out. Fun was had by all!

Don't know if that would help anyone else.....but it sure was fun competing against those commercial lenders that were positive they needed no more Reg B training. And I enjoyed watching them read about Flood regs somewhere other than in the training program so that they could test out w/o opening those screens! Ha...got 'em trained.

Return to Top
#1800459 - 04/02/13 03:52 PM Re: Training ahkcompliance
Dr.Ozya Offline
Phila
We assigned 20-24 to new frontline personnel, and about 10 to administration/Board. Existing personnel is on 24-month cycle for most of the training (other than BSA and Reg CC).
Department managers understand that training to employees covers the bank's and its management's backs if something is done wrong. Also, I have seen instances when regulators cited a bank for no Fair Lending training to backoffice human resource clerks, so you never know what is the next hot button. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Return to Top
#1800604 - 04/02/13 07:18 PM Re: Training Elwood P. Dowd
ahkcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Originally Posted By: Ken_Pegasus
Are the complaints that you receive based on 1) they don't have time or 2) they already know this material? (Just curious.)

Yes the complaints I get are usually they don't have time and they already know the stuff.

My response: Well if you already know the stuff why do I keep finding errors. As far as time, the ones that complain are usually the ones who leave early.

Return to Top