BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1803906 - 04/11/13 06:48 PM ATM for our customers ONLY
Lele Offline
Platinum Poster
Lele
In the Sun
We are thinking of having our ATMs for our customers only. I know we would have to disclose this on the machine but is there anything else we would need to do?

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#1803943 - 04/11/13 07:39 PM Re: ATM for our customers ONLY Lele
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I have never heard of this and I have to ask - why? (Sorry - can't help with the question but I'm curious about the answer)

Return to Top
#1803949 - 04/11/13 07:47 PM Re: ATM for our customers ONLY Lele
osucpa Offline
Diamond Poster
Assuming you do not charge you customers for the use, how do you recoup the cost of the ATM?

Return to Top
#1803956 - 04/11/13 07:57 PM Re: ATM for our customers ONLY Lele
Lele Offline
Platinum Poster
Lele
In the Sun
The way I understand it is that there are some upcoming Mastercard changes involving PIN & Chip & foreign fraud and the liability falling on the bank.

We do not charge our customers to use our ATMs. Not sure on the ins and outs of the income derived from the ATMs.

Return to Top
#1803959 - 04/11/13 08:03 PM Re: ATM for our customers ONLY Lele
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
If we're lucky BrianC will weigh in on your concerns. He's one of the most knowledgeable folks on Visa/Mastercard.

Return to Top
#1803984 - 04/11/13 09:02 PM Re: ATM for our customers ONLY Lele
tdogz Offline
100 Club
tdogz
Unless your ATMs handle lots of foreign-issued cards, the liability shift caused by EMV shouldn't be a major issue for several more years. If you do handle a lot of foreign cards, I guess the April 19th deadline might be a little scary. We rarely see foreign cards & have never had a fraud or error involving one, so we assessed our risk accordingly.

http://www.atmmarketplace.com/blog/9979/Why-EMV-liability-shifts-shouldn-t-freak-you-out

Return to Top
#1804001 - 04/11/13 09:29 PM Re: ATM for our customers ONLY Lele
Lele Offline
Platinum Poster
Lele
In the Sun
We are located in Florida so we do see a few foreign transactions. We are pulling a report to determine the amount of foreign transactions our ATMs have and will decide at that time.
Great article 'tdogz' I will forward it on.

Return to Top
#1804015 - 04/11/13 10:19 PM Re: ATM for our customers ONLY Lele
BrianC Offline
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
Doug, I wouldn't go out and play the lottery just because I'm chiming in, but I hope your luck continues. smile

For those who are not aware, beginning April 19th, MasterCard will transfer liability to the acquiring bank for counterfeit ATM withdrawals that are done using a chip (EMV) card. This technology is not widely used in the United States, but it is the standard for most international banks. As tdogz correctly points out, our risks are pretty minimal until more U.S. banks begin issuing chip cards.

To answer the original question asked, since ATMs are run on PIN networks, VISA/MasterCard rules are silent on whose cards you must accept for withdrawals. You should look to your card processor's network rules to see what is and is not permissible and what signage is required. Personally, I wouldn't make a mountain out of a molehill just yet. (That isn't to say that when last week's Wall Street Journal published an article on this topic our midwestern bank CEO wasn't at my desk before the bnak opened asking what we should do.)

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett